What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

40-07 Landing Light Install

jsenft

Well Known Member
I went to install the landing light with the AN3-3A bolt but the bolt only went about 1/4 of the way into the light housing. Has anyone had an issue with the landing light bolt?

Lazy way

This works. Easier than cutting bolts.

IMG_0262.jpg

I had the same problem, and used extra washers to solve it, as well. Vans should supply shorter bolts or additional washers. I don't like deviating from the instructions in the least, but got this go ahead from Vans support.

Add Washers

I too had to add extra washers. I?m thinking the issue may be because the AeroLeds landing light was updated by AeroLeds last year. The older landing light had fewer LED elements when compared to the new light. Thinking the older light may have had more available space internally for a deeper mounting bolt hole ? but that is just speculation on my part assuming the washer count was correct for the older landing light to begin with.

Happy Building,

This works. Easier than cutting bolts.

IMG_0262.jpg

This an old thread but it does illustrate my question: what use is the lock washer? Even without the extra washers, the "standard" installation in the plans has a flat washer between the lock washer and the rib so I don't think the lock washer is going to lock anything? My landing light kit didn't include any washers and I'm trying to figure out what I really need.

I used the allen screws that came with the light. They had lock tight and were the right screws for the light. I was concerned that I might punch through or strip out the light. I realize that getting this thing out will be a pain with the allen screws but that's par for any aircraft. I'm sure if I have to take it out someday I'll use hex bolts.

Slightly off topic but why not slot the two supports all the way to the forward edge? Loosely install the bolts and washers on the light at the work bench and then slide the assembly into place and tighten the bolts.

I used the allen screws that came with the light. They had lock tight and were the right screws for the light. I was concerned that I might punch through or strip out the light. I realize that getting this thing out will be a pain with the allen screws but that's par for any aircraft. I'm sure if I have to take it out someday I'll use hex bolts.

Me too. I'm thinking that, if I cut an inch off of an allen wrench, it should work, should I have to remove/replace the light someday. As a side note, I had to enlist my 10 y.o. to get those screws started. My hands were too big but hers were just right. If I ever have to remove/replace the allen bolts I'll have to find another kid to help me out.

Back