What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Trailer Size

We are looking for a trailer to haul the RV-12 we are building. Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the landing gear, with the wheel pants? We are making sure we get something with enough distance between the wheel wells. Thanks for any assistance:)

Does anyone know how hard it would be to remove the wheel pants if we needed to? Not sure since we're not that far into the build yet . . .

Wheel pants remove

Does anyone know how hard it would be to remove the wheel pants if we needed to? Not sure since we're not that far into the build yet . . .

The wheel pants can be removed my removing a number of 8-32 screws However, it will not narrow the width of the gear unless the extensions that are about 3 1/2 inch long, bolted onto the outside axles are removed (two long bolts each, which are, I believe, normally locktited in place) Without those extensions, my gear width is quite close to 7 feet wide--which was uncomfortably just-barely-too-wide to move with a car carrier trailer--couldn't quite fit the gears between the wheel wells. With the wheel pants, I suspect the width will be in excess of 7 1/2 feet.

RV-12 Trailer

Gary , I too want to 'trailer' my RV-12 and since I am a long way from needing it, I haven't done a lot of research. Sadly, most all of the experienced RVers have advised me to give up the idea and try to find someone who will let me store my 12 inside of their hanger on my trailer.

I will try to check with the 'Dawn Patrol' people who trailer their semi-replica WWW-1 fighters regularly. These are the only people that I am aware of who regularly 'trailer' aircraft of similar size and weight to our 12.

It seems that there are many obstacles to trailering safety;
1. Horizontal stab too big.
2. Vertical stab too tall.
3. Likelihood that the tail cone/ forward fuselage connection may not stand up to the beating that it will take as the trailer bounces around. Some have suggested that some sort of device be installed under the rear of the fuselage in order to try to solve that problem - I am not sure that would work well.
4. The beating that the avionics might from bouncing around might beat them up.
5. Problems securing the aircraft to the trailer.

I think that the trailer must be built to handle a load of about 800 pounds. That likely means two wheels, I think. And the trailer needs to be about 24' long, I think. Most if not all trailer manufacturers will want to install four wheels on a trailer that long, I think. A ramp must be used or the trailer must 'squat' in order to get the aircraft into the trailer, I think. A good set of shock absorbers must be installed for sure and they must be matched to the weight of the trailer and load. Maybe air bag shocks would solve a few of these problems.

Since I didn't sleep an any hotel/motel that makes me smarter, a lot of the above might be wrong - wherever I used the term 'I think', I am guessing, so my words are probably worth exactly what it cost you.

Hope that you find a way to pioneer a great trailer - I really need to 'trailer' my 12 - hanger fees here in Taxyafornia are unbelievable. Please advise us/me of your progress - I think that it is likely that you and I may well be the only two in the RV-12 fleet who regularly trailer their 12s.

Thanks for the advice . . . we will keep you posted on our search. We don't plan to trailer regularly, but would like to keep that option open in order to save on hangar fees during the winter months here. Most of the year, we plan to hangar at the local airport.

Are most likely going to get a flatbed/snowmobile trailer and modify it to hold wings. Looking at those with better suspension; would only be trailering short distances.:)

Not to worry

Most of Mr Eliot's concerns here are not too much to worry about. There are thousands of high-performance sailplanes that are routinely moved around in long trailers. My old Schweizer 1-26 glider traveled on its trailer with the horizontal tail installed, with just about the same span as the RV-12 tail. No problems ever.

The fact that the RV-12 is tricycle, so the fin sticks up higher, is going to demand care in where you drive under anything low. Our sailplanes have normal 'steam gage' instruments, as well as very expensive flight computers that are similar to an EFIS and they seem to hold up just fine.

A key is to have the trailer suspension springs sized properly for the weight. I would not recommend using a flat-bed vehicle-carrier trailer that is designed to carry a 4000 lb car -- it is going to be sprung too stiff.

I would probably be wise to talk to Van about concerns for airframe components subjected to trailering loads.

Gary , I too want to 'trailer' my RV-12 and since I am a long way from needing it, I haven't done a lot of research. Sadly, most all of the experienced RVers have advised me to give up the idea and try to find someone who will let me store my 12 inside of their hanger on my trailer.

I will try to check with the 'Dawn Patrol' people who trailer their semi-replica WWW-1 fighters regularly. These are the only people that I am aware of who regularly 'trailer' aircraft of similar size and weight to our 12.

It seems that there are many obstacles to trailering safety;
1. Horizontal stab too big.
2. Vertical stab too tall.
3. Likelihood that the tail cone/ forward fuselage connection may not stand up to the beating that it will take as the trailer bounces around. Some have suggested that some sort of device be installed under the rear of the fuselage in order to try to solve that problem - I am not sure that would work well.
4. The beating that the avionics might from bouncing around might beat them up.
5. Problems securing the aircraft to the trailer.

I think that the trailer must be built to handle a load of about 800 pounds. That likely means two wheels, I think. And the trailer needs to be about 24' long, I think. Most if not all trailer manufacturers will want to install four wheels on a trailer that long, I think. A ramp must be used or the trailer must 'squat' in order to get the aircraft into the trailer, I think. A good set of shock absorbers must be installed for sure and they must be matched to the weight of the trailer and load. Maybe air bag shocks would solve a few of these problems.

Since I didn't sleep an any hotel/motel that makes me smarter, a lot of the above might be wrong - wherever I used the term 'I think', I am guessing, so my words are probably worth exactly what it cost you.

Hope that you find a way to pioneer a great trailer - I really need to 'trailer' my 12 - hanger fees here in Taxyafornia are unbelievable. Please advise us/me of your progress - I think that it is likely that you and I may well be the only two in the RV-12 fleet who regularly trailer their 12s.

This trailer built by United Trailer has been mentioned in other posts and looks very good for someone that wants to make the investment.

http://www.aerotrek.aero/trailers.htm

I'm a number of years away so I have not done too much research but originally thought that the trailer route would be a good way to go based on availability and cost of hanger space. Was also going to investigate if the trailer could be left at a tie-down spot which rents similar to a parking spot at a storage facility but would still provide the weather protection. Not sure if this can be done or not. I currently spend about $60/month to keep my 27ft 5th wheel trailer at a storage facility.

RV-12 Trailer

According to their FB page comments, Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon is working on a trailer specifically made for the RV-12. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Kevin

Heavy duty???

I think that we don't need a heavy duty trailer - we need an appropriately sprung, soft/smooth riding trailer that is designed to carry about 800 or so of aircraft and support utilities, etc. Have you ever ridden on an ordinary trailer that is lightly loaded - I have as a boy and I think that if I had had any fillings in my teeth, they would have been shaken out - really a bad experience!

It is good to hear that Synergy is at least thinking about building a trailer or kit for us.

A few years ago, I broached the subject of a trailer to a few Van's employees and they suggested that i didn't really want a trailer after all and basically to forget the idea. It was made clear to me that Van's wasn't interested. It's a shame to waste the wings removable feature of the 12. I'll bet that that feature cost Van's a ton of $$$ during the design stage of the 12.

I don't know if I would have purchased an RV-12 kit without the removable wings feature. That feature makes the RV-12 affordable to me as hanger rents here in Taxufornia are through the roof. A trailer at $8-9K would be paid for here in a couple years of hanger rent at the local airport.

Hoping that someone will offer a trailer for sale that will work for the RV-12 without damaging it. I really don't want to be the one who builds the first really good RV-12 trailer.

Last edited:

Make that three.

While I'm not in taxafornia, hanger rents here (broken down hangers) are currently running $414/month, when you can find them. A community hanger is $325. A tie-down is $40...

Bob

Trailer design coming

We are going to create our own trailer design after seeing the posts and doing some research. Will post pictures, etc when it is complete. Currently still building the plane and will work on the trailer in-between . . . just want something to get it to the airport and for occasional moves.

RV-12 trailer size.

I, too, need to know the dimensions since I will be installing the gear and transporting fuse, wings,, etc several hundred miles as soon as the finish kit arrives. I have a pontoon boat trailer that, I believe can be adapted very easily. But, I do need the width dimensions with & without the wheel pants, and, even more importantly, the front & back dimensions (from tip of nose cone to center of main gear...and to nose gear), and from main gear to tail feathers. Also, the clearance ground clearance needed below the wheel pants (for block and trailer wheel well clearance) would be helpful. Anybody have the dimensions? Thx!
BuzzJ

Trailer dimension stuff I forgot in prior thread

For carrying the completed wings, we need to know the clearance dimensions between the main gear wit and w/o wheel pants. Will a box fit?

Last week I had to drive about 100 mile to the painter. I used a flatbed trailer of 197" by 94". I had an overhung of about 20". The width of the gear is too small to put the wings between the gear legs.

img3110a.jpg

img3119a.jpg

Trailer for RV-12

Great idea! Thx for the pics! Do you have a plan/template for the box wing holder? I think I can adapt this idea to my pontoon boat trailer and carry the wings under the belly in the same fashion. Thx again!

I just started with a piece of wood with a slot for the spar. Put it on the spar and draw the circumference of the wing. Add some extra (the same as the thickness of the foam rubber) to the contour for the foam rubber padding (in my case 2cm/0,8") and use the jigsaw to cut the template (pic1&2). Then I used four pieces of 160cmx56cm (63"x22") to make the wing holders (pic3). But I did it wrong, check the pictures and try to put the wings in there :eek:. After putting it all together I used thin MDF to follow the shape (pic5). When that was ready I cut the "wing holder plates" in three parts.
It works very well and the wings are well protected from the bumps during the drive.

img3085qw.jpg

img3087e.jpg

img3088eb.jpg

img3090a.jpg

img3091m.jpg

Last edited:
I like that idea a lot. I was going to haul my wings leading edge down on the sides of the plane. I like this idea far better.

A few years ago, I broached the subject of a trailer to a few Van's employees and they suggested that i didn't really want a trailer after all and basically to forget the idea. It was made clear to me that Van's wasn't interested. It's a shame to waste the wings removable feature of the 12. I'll bet that that feature cost Van's a ton of $$$ during the design stage of the 12.

I don't know if I would have purchased an RV-12 kit without the removable wings feature. That feature makes the RV-12 affordable to me as hanger rents here in Taxufornia are through the roof. A trailer at $8-9K would be paid for here in a couple years of hanger rent at the local airport.

Hoping that someone will offer a trailer for sale that will work for the RV-12 without damaging it. I really don't want to be the one who builds the first really good RV-12 trailer.

Same here. After I sold my -7A, I was going to build a -12, until I found out about the trailer situation. As you said, it was a shame to waste the engineering that went into making wings removable/trailerable. Van's told me they didn't have the interest after the -12 came out, because they say the vast majority of -12 builders don't care about the removable wings & trailering. It's clear from this thread, and several other "-12 trailers" threads over the last few years, that there are some with quite an interest in trailering.

When I retire to my house in Kalifornia (after I sell all my guns that'll be illegal there), I'll probably go with Aerostar because they provide for the trailer option. I've already talked to people at some airports there about the idea of keeping the trailer at the airport as a portable "hangar". I could also probably fit it into my back yard.

Funny thing about the Aerostar trailer, though, is that it is not what people on these "-12 trailer" threads say is needed - a light, lightly sprung trailer designed for 800 pounds, not 6000. What people say we need, and I'd agree, is a trailer like a sailplane trailer - light and lightly sprung, and that can be towed with a car. The Aerostar trailer is every bit as stiff as a car hauler. It's also as heavy as a car hauler, and thus needs a big truck to pull it. I imagine it has the same suspension as a car hauler. I know it's so stiff you can't make it move up & down with your body weight at all. The Aerostar people claim it transports the Aerostar without any problems, though.

Trailoring LSA

Same here. After I sold my -7A, I was going to build a -12, until I found out about the trailer situation. As you said, it was a shame to waste the engineering that went into making wings removable/trailerable. Van's told me they didn't have the interest after the -12 came out, because they say the vast majority of -12 builders don't care about the removable wings & trailering. It's clear from this thread, and several other "-12 trailers" threads over the last few years, that there are some with quite an interest in trailering.

When I retire to my house in Kalifornia (after I sell all my guns that'll be illegal there), I'll probably go with Aerostar because they provide for the trailer option. I've already talked to people at some airports there about the idea of keeping the trailer at the airport as a portable "hangar". I could also probably fit it into my back yard.

Funny thing about the Aerostar trailer, though, is that it is not what people on these "-12 trailer" threads say is needed - a light, lightly sprung trailer designed for 800 pounds, not 6000. What people say we need, and I'd agree, is a trailer like a sailplane trailer - light and lightly sprung, and that can be towed with a car. The Aerostar trailer is every bit as stiff as a car hauler. It's also as heavy as a car hauler, and thus needs a big truck to pull it. I imagine it has the same suspension as a car hauler. I know it's so stiff you can't make it move up & down with your body weight at all. The Aerostar people claim it transports the Aerostar without any problems, though.
Check this out.
Price quoted does not include an electric winch.
There is an entry door at the forward r/h side.

http://www.aerotrek.aero/trailers.htm

Yes, that's the trailer I was describing in my post. I've seen it in person at AirVenture. They say it works fine for them, but it's no lightweight. Seems to be the only game in town at this point.

followup

Synergy Air indicated that they were working on a RV-12 trailer design. Has anyone followed up on their progress?

I just posted a query on their website, and they replied with this info:

Hi Brian -

Thanks for your interest! We haven't officially released it yet, but here is a preview of what we are working on:

We have a lightweight, open flatbed trailer designed for the size and weight of the RV-12 with dual axel, electric brakes and E-track attachments for tie-down. It is built by a professional trailer builder and exclusively offered by Synergy Air. The cost will be aprox $6500.

We designed it for transporting the RV12 SLSAs and ours has worked well for us here at Synergy Air.

If you are interested, please let me know.

-Kaitlyn
Synergy Air

Last edited:
RV-12 Trailer

I think the purpose of the trailer would dictate some of the specs. Is it just to move the aircraft off the field and into a garage at home, or is it also the off-field storage shed for the aircraft. RV-12's aren't all that heavy, easily within the reach of most full size cars and light trucks. I poked around and found this post about a trailer for a belite (http://jameswiebe.blogspot.com/2010/07/great-trailer-for-hauling-ultralight.html) which seems like a good approach for local transportation. I don't know if I would trailer it backwards for long distances in the open like that... more research would be necessary. The challenge would be the mains... Trike vs. taildrager. The mains would be right between the wheels (roughly) on the trailer.

Starting with a boat trailer has the advantage that the axles are already offset (boats are tail heavy)... The CG is forward on on an airplane, which works if you plan to tow it backwards I guess. I would think an open trailer would be lighter as well (vs a car hauler with a heavy wooden or steel deck).

I think you could work the design some to get the aircraft main gear between the trailer axles without too much work.

Darrin

I'll be honest, I want an aircraft I can trailer very often. I have no real intentions of being put on a waiting list for a hanger and I don't want to leave my aircraft out on a tie down where it'll be exposed. Also I will be building a garage in order to work on an RV-12 at home, and I'd like to be able to store the RV-12 at home when it's not in use.

My goal is to load the RV-12 up on the trailer, go to my local airport, unload it, put the wings on, go fly for a couple of hours, land, load the aircraft back up onto the trailer and drive it back home.

Good for you, NCGA pilot! I'm with 'ya, man.

The airplane was designed to be trailered and kept at home. If I had completed my building at home in the garage, I would have shaved a fast 50% - maybe more - off my build time. A huge amount of frustration, and delay, and the costs of gasoline going to and from the airport - saved. Always tools in the wrong place. My hangar either too hot or cold, but mostly cold, wet, dark. It didn't make my "journey" half the fun......

What you want to do - I want to do. I think this was Dick's vision too, early on. Too bad, Vans has stepped away from this vision, and done little to support the removable wings and the trailering option. I had a nice boat for 25 years - and when I went to the boat shows, they'd ask me where I moored my boat - I'd smilingly say "In my garage", which led to a blank stare. And, that's where it was "moored" - for 25 years. Quite satisfactorily. I sold it before my hip replacement - and still kick myself for it.

Maybe Synergy will step up to the plate. Aerotrek has.

I have a big three bay garage - with a big center RV (Recreational Vehicle) bay. It could be a "Van's RV" bay. If it was, I could save substantial bucks, but especially, I could work on it easily and much more conveniently. No more "I HAVE that tool, but it's at home" I have the same problem when I'm home, when "that tool" is at the hangar. My airplane would be better built, better maintained, and much more available to do whatever is required. A better work environment. A better airplane.

There's been a lot of recent hand-wringing about the state of the LSA industry, and the low costs that turned out to be high costs. This is one of the factors. All the airplanes I considered had folding wings (or removable in the case of Vans.)

If I could make it work, I'd keep my airplane at home. Don't give up the fight.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Unfortunately I wasn't born rich and lots of years of hard work didn't get me there either. The cost of aircraft payments to NAFCO certainly won't allow me to add another $425+/month hanger rent to my costs.

A trailer is definitly in my future, along with maybe a tie-down in the summer.

bob

Unfortunately I wasn't born rich and lots of years of hard work didn't get me there either. The cost of aircraft payments to NAFCO certainly won't allow me to add another $425+/month hanger rent to my costs.

A trailer is definitly in my future, along with maybe a tie-down in the summer.

bob

I know how you feel, I wasn't born into riches either and I'm def. not getting there anytime soon. Honestly an experimental aircraft that I can store at home is the best option for me because then I can do all of my own work and store it on my own property.

Certainly the 12 can be trailered and stored in a garage, but unless you have a guaranteed extra pair of hands pulling the wings on and off would certainly get old.

Certainly the 12 can be trailered and stored in a garage, but unless you have a guaranteed extra pair of hands pulling the wings on and off would certainly get old.

Well that's why we need a wing caddy that can not only hold the wings during transport but can also help us put the wings on and pull them off.

I made such a device for almost nothing that allows me to put my wings on and take them off by myself, no big deal.
Check my kitlog back in the fall of 2011 for views of my method, simply a copy from the glider people.

Don,

Do you put the wingtip end on the support and walk the spar into the center section for installation?

Rich

Mostly so yes. The castor on the spar extension end of the wing allows it to be positioned near to the fuse slot, and allows you to move it around alone when taking it off. It works so well, I prefer to be alone during the attach/removal operation.

Thoughts on RV-12 Trailer

My 12 is a long way from finished so maybe my ideas are not germain at this point but here goes anyway.

FEATURES THAT I THINK I NEED.

A. The trailer needs to be strong enough to really haul an RV-12 and associated tools, etc., on the freeway and at freeway speeds (55 mph or so).

B. The aircraft needs to be supported inside of the trailer so that the aircraft isn't broken or shook to pieces. A car hauler seems to me to be too stout and too heavy. A snowmobile trailer might be too light weight and too short.

C. I think that the trailer needs to be about 20' or so long due to the length of the fuselage. Hope that I am wrong about that as a shorter trailer is more desirable than a long one.

D. A most important item is that the springs/shocks need to match the load - not too hard and not too soft. We need to consult a trailer manufacturer to get this ratio right, I guess.

THINGS THAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HAVE

A. Enclosed box type trailer. This would facilitate transportation of our aircraft without having people slowing/stopping/gaulking at our aircraft/trailer. Also, an enclosed trailer keeps curious eyes and hands off of of our aircraft.

B. Must find a way to tie down and secure all aircraft components inside of the trailer. Maybe custom made expanding foam 'beds' would work to hold the tail cone and stabilizers in place. Might also be utilized to cushion the wings.

C. Must find a way to efficiently and easily perform a one person load and unload. I am thinking that the wings could be attached inside to the sides of the trailer. This would be done before the fuselage is secured, engine first, into the trailer.

D. I would find a way to include a burglar alarm into the build for obvious reasons. I hope that this item isn't needed where you live but here in Taxyafornia, it is necessary.

TRAILER THINGS THAT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AS IT APPLIES TO AN AIRCRAFT TRAILER

Even though I have a few thousand hours towing a house trailer, I know nothing about the following;

A. A lot of the above!

B. Trailer brakes - I do know that some sort of trailer brakes are necessary for really safe trailering. This would have to be figured out by a trailer manufacture, I think. I do know that I would like to have a system that allows me to adjust the amount of braking action of the trailer from my drivers position while on the move. This likely means electronic braking. Too much or too little braking of the trailer can get you into trouble quickly on the highway (remember, I want to be able to tow on the Freeway at 55mph).

C. Number of axles, wheel size, wheel placement - again, I'd leave this to the manufacturer of trailers. Trailers have to balanced properly with just the right amount of weight on the trailer hitch and in front of and to the rear of the trailer axle. I know that I don't want Harbor Freight (small) sized wheels.

That's it for tonight - feel free to add to, criticize, discuss my ideas - my hope is that this will help others in the design process (or procurement) of their trailer. Maybe we can collectively come up with design criteria and at least have a pretty good idea of what we want when we either begin design/building our trailer or talk to a trailer manufacture.

In any case, I think that it would be good if those of your who have access or own a sailplane or aircraft trailer could chime in here with your ideas .

I think the problem many would face is finding an airport that would allow trailer type operations. Most smaller airports might, providing the manager is decent enough, but you would probably end up paying the monthly tiedown fee for that access anyway.

For me, I have decided to put myself on a couple of hangar wait lists. In the meantime I know several folks with large hangars that I can use for the initial flight test phase, pay for a local outside tiedown in the winter months here (i.e. months when nighttime lows are below 90 deg), then putting it in the garage for annuals, aka summer hot months)

And then borrow a friend's large ATV trailer for the few times a year I am moving the airplane.

My nearest airfield is about 45 minutes drive away and two others where I could possibly keep it are about an hour and 15 mins away. I'd like the convenience of having the aircraft at home if I could find the right type of trailer, but on the downside is the risk of someone running into the back of your very expensive pride and joy on the way to the airport, and getting insurance for trailering your aircraft. Has anyone looked into how trailering would affect your insurance costs?

Last week's transport to the airport. It was snowing :eek:
My trailer is 7 1/2 feet wide (outside) and it is enough space between the railing and the wheel pants.

I have heard (read) that having the tail unsupported like that can be dangerous if the trailer bounces on the road, and that you're asking for trouble. Any comments? This is important. Thx.

I heard that as well. Tony Partain who transports them often, says he has NEVER tied down the tail, and others have towed them across the continent with no bad effects from no tail tied down either.
I have only a single axle trailer, but the ride would be far better with an equalizer tandem axle setup.
Something that HAS happend bad to a 12 is you do not want to winch on the mains, forward or backwards! Might not be as bad now with the landing gear beef up service bulletin.

When I tried to fly my RV-12 across the Montana Rockies in March of 2011, and got grounded by weather in Missoula MT, I discovered that a 17 foot U-Haul truck handles the bird and its wings quite well. I used some nylon rope to keep the tail from wagging side to side, and ropes around the brake assemblies (wheelpants removed) to keep the rest of it in place, and drove the last roughly 600 miles on I-90 and other regional roads to get to Sequim, WA. No problems of damage to wings or fuselage, though it was winter and I got a load of snow and highway salt all over the thing. Not recommending one get a used 17 foot box van or truck, but it worked fine! And a great conversation piece wherever you stop to refuel. ;-)

RV12_in_truck_small.jpg

-Dan Masys
RV-12 N122LD 165 flt hrs
RV-10 N104LD 590 flt hrs

Since this thread started a while back, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with trailering their RV-12 back and forth to an airport yet?

Hanger rates are still going up and since the aircraft was obviously designed with trailering in mind it will be put the test sooner or later. I hope to be flying late next year and really this is the best option for me.

Thanks,

Bob

Trailer Solution

Well, here is our solution to trailer our RV-12 to the airport. It worked great. Plane was stable and by leveling it out as seen on the attached photos, tail height was at about 9 feet (plenty of clearance for going down the road).

We used an 83" by 16 foot trailer. Overhang was about 4 feet; could have bought a longer trailer if we wanted to trailer regularly.

Welded the wheel anchors as shown. Extended the ramps as shown so we didn't have to worry about the tail on the way up or down. Used a winch to get the plane on and off the trailer without any additional help. Tie downs as shown.

Hope this helps others out.

Started this in October 2012; hope to be flying in the next few weeks once FAA paperwork set.:)

RV%2012%20Trailer

Gary
Well done.
One thing for others who would like to use your method. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall RV2002 from Vans staff seems to strongly suggest the tail cone needs to be supported when moved by road. Maybe he will post here.
John
PS I see posts 43 and 44 above seem to have discussed this, so I will defer to more expert opinion than mine.

Last edited:
Tail cone support

The way that we raised the front tire combined with the way it was tied down, there was no up and down movement of the tail (even on bumpy roads) or any other part of the plane. What is not shown is that we did lock down the control sticks so that there was no movement of the stabilator. Hope this helps others out.:)

RV-12 "N775DJ" Trailer

March 2014 Sport Aviation has an article titled "The Ultimate Road Warrior". David Kroner has designed and built a trailer for his RV-12 "N775DJ". He addresses several design challenges to secure the airplane safely and two small photos in the article provide a glimpse of the trailer. David's e-mail ([email protected]) is provided in the article so I have included it here for those that may not have the EAA magazine handy. I think David has a real winner here and I am e-mailing him before I post this because I think he will be receiving several e-mails wanting more information on his trailer.

Bob Kibby, RV-12 "N712BK" 170 hrs

Back