What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

diffused landing light pattern

The right landing light on my -7A is showing an overly diffused pattern when I shine it on the hangar door (see photos of left and right light patterns). It is the standard light fixture on the wing leading edge, and I'm using H3 100W bulbs on both sides same as always. I took the wingtip off, inspected and reinstalled the bulb, inspected the reflector and lens, and did not see anything amiss. The bulb is mounted as it should be and held in place by the wire spring. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_130329166.jpg
    IMG_20211127_130329166.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20211127_130345339.jpg
    IMG_20211127_130345339.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 187
Can you see what the filaments look like?
The filament looks the same as in a new bulb. I bought a new bulb and installed it with no change in the light pattern. Next step is to put that old bulb in the left side and to see if it's a bulb issue--which I doubt--or something to do with the reflector or leading-edge lens of the right light.

The reflector housing not exactly the same shape in both lamps? Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'd point both down a bit for better illumination of the runway during short final. The diffused light is actually better for taxiing, illuminating the edges of the taxiway.

The reflector housing is the same for right and left, and the beam from the right light was fine until is wasn't--no bulb change occurred.

The reflector housing not exactly the same shape in both lamps? Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'd point both down a bit for better illumination of the runway during short final. The diffused light is actually better for taxiing, illuminating the edges of the taxiway.
Problem with the diffused pattern is that the light is dimmer.

Back