What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section Completion Sequence -12iS (Lessons learned?)

WJaviation

Im looking on suggestions of what sequence to move forward. My biggest concern is jumping around from section to section and missing something major.

Im fuselage Kit complete and have the landing gear and grove brakes and wheels fully installed. Id Like to hold off on canopy until later due to space limitations.

For background I've received and inventoried the all the kits. ENG/FWF, AVIONICS, FIN. All of it. Id like to draw on the knowledge of those that have completed the -12 to avoid any pit falls, grief, or best practices that you may have encountered/learned on your build.

Things I'm thinking about:

The rudder pedal attach cable in the forward center tunnel in Sect 38. Should I try and do these before the wiring bundles cover that area? or will I be able to get in and behind there if I do Common Elec system Sect 42 or avionics first?

Installing Avionics Kit Sect 42 PRIOR to engine installation Sect 46? Or doing engine first PRIOR to avionics?

My biggest question is dealing with Sect 38. Due to space limitations where im building id like to do this later, but id like to hear yalls feedback on putting off all the airframe fitment stuff until after the Eng, Prop, Cowling, Canopy etc is completed.

I know it s a broad question, but any tips and advice would help. In other words.....WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY?

Thanks!

If I had it to do over again, I'd do the kits in the order suggested by Van's.

Im looking on suggestions of what sequence to move forward. My biggest concern is jumping around from section to section and missing something major.

Im fuselage Kit complete and have the landing gear and grove brakes and wheels fully installed. Id Like to hold off on canopy until later due to space limitations.

For background I've received and inventoried the all the kits. ENG/FWF, AVIONICS, FIN. All of it. Id like to draw on the knowledge of those that have completed the -12 to avoid any pit falls, grief, or best practices that you may have encountered/learned on your build.

Things I'm thinking about:

The rudder pedal attach cable in the forward center tunnel in Sect 38. Should I try and do these before the wiring bundles cover that area? or will I be able to get in and behind there if I do Common Elec system Sect 42 or avionics first?

Installing Avionics Kit Sect 42 PRIOR to engine installation Sect 46? Or doing engine first PRIOR to avionics?

My biggest question is dealing with Sect 38. Due to space limitations where im building id like to do this later, but id like to hear yalls feedback on putting off all the airframe fitment stuff until after the Eng, Prop, Cowling, Canopy etc is completed.

I know it s a broad question, but any tips and advice would help. In other words.....WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY?

Thanks!
for sure complete the rudder attach points to the rudder pedals before the avionics. And make sure of your torque for the fuel lines that run to the firewall bracket. They also are a bitch to get to after avionics.

Where would I find the suggested order by Vans?

Look in the Kit Assembly Instructions.... KAI. Maybe follow it step by step, so you get an actual E-LSA plane when you're finished building, after buying all the parts from Van's.

If you're building E-AB, then it doesn't really matter what the order is, it's an Amateur Build.

So i also found that the kits have been best assembled in the order laid out by Vans.

I guess i was more asking about the order of the specific sections within those kits?

Certain Sections have installation from other section that are not in order. For example the ROTAX fuse box and ECU have connections that are don earlier in Section 42 Common Electrical, which requires you to reference later sections in order to understand the proper install.

Appreciate the discussion nonetheless.

I’m in the exact same situation you are. I came here to look for same answers. Upon review of this thread I spent this evening reviewing exactly where I’m at. My conclusion is that most, if not all of section 38 needs to be done after avionics and power plant install. No sense in installing wings and tailcone too early. So now I’m back to avionics section 42. Just my humble opinion. If this changes I will post update here. However, per post above rudder attach points should be done before avionics is finished. I’ll review that shortly.

Back