What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about Tip Lights Installation Page 40-07

Bill_H

Well Known Member
I am at the point of fitting the fiberglass tip extensions for the lights. Sanding back to the trim line was no problem on the main "flat" area of the piece. The trim line on the flange part - the part that, if untrimmed, fits over the edge and to the top of the wing - is very faint to make out. I haven't found any web pics that show this part clearly from above after installation. Obviously it does not extend to the edge of the line of rivets. Does it lap over to the top of the wing at all, or does it more or less point straight up after trimming? That seems to be the case from the "end view" figure on page 40-07. And, if so, how do you limit the amount of flox mixture to just that area? (Tony T has a pic of how it looked after the epoxy hardened, but not of the process or a pic from "above".) Advice appreciated! This is my first time to use the epoxy, I have the West Systems stuff ready to go.

Thanks - Bill H. N412BR reserved. (Why 412BR? 412 is the kit number, which is nice since it incorporates a "12". BR are my first and middle initials and "Bravo Romeo" sounds better to me than "Bravo Hotel" spoken over the radio!

Another pic

I looked to see if I had another, better, picture of the detail you want, but this is the only one. It doesn't show it real good. Larry's pictures are great. My light fairing just kind of goes straight up without overlapping the top, like his. The flox mixture fills in any gap. Also, I stole Larry's idea to use flush pop rivets for a cleaner look (plans deviation ;)).
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Color-Scheme/11643931_KpABS#977168523_MUmyG-A-LB][/URL]
You can shape the flox mixture with a flat tool if you make it about the consistancy of peanut butter.
Tony

Last edited:
OK, I have put this step off long enough now. The drawings are difficult to interpret (for me). Does anyone have photos of the process of installing these tips?

Back