What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Size

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Hello All,
Looking to buy a Halon or Halatron fire extinguisher for the RV7 and wanted to see what size most are purchasing. I want to get one big enough but not so big that it is hard to mount or gets in the way.

Thanks in advance.

H3R's model A344T, AC's Description "H3R's smallest extinguisher with a gauge. Recommended for a 1-4 person aircraft, including the pilot."

My requirements - yours may vary:
* must have gauge for status verification
* must be accessible - no reaching into baggage

I haven't tested for comfort yet, but have seen them mounted on this panel (F-782A-L) - (I have a center console).

Attachments

• extinguisher_01.jpg
    extinguisher_01.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 146
  • extinguisher_02.jpg
    extinguisher_02.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 129
I got the same one when my smaller halon extinguisher (A400) leaked out. I mounted it on the back of the flap motor box. It is easily reached from either seat. :cool:

Extinguisher Rating

Thanks for the replies.

I have found a Halotron model (Buckeye 70251 from Sporty's $160) that is less expensive than the Halon model (H3R A344T $269 @ ACS) however it is a little larger (13"long vs 10"). Same rating; 2BC. Anyone used this one? Does it fit?

There is also a Halotron model (Amerex A384T Fire Ext. Depot $154) that is the same size as the Halon model above (10" long) but the rating is 1BC vs 2BC.

Question: is a UL rating of 1BC capacity enough for an RV7?

Hope this is not too confusing.
Thanks

We’ve got H3R’s in most of our planes - fit well, and will do a reasonable job on a fire under the panel (we think, from an educated guess and 25 years experince as a firefighter….).

The question reminds me of a briefing once I got from an enlisted crew member before getting on an Army helicopter. “Sirs, there is a fire extinguisher behind the pilot’s seat - use it to put out people - the aircraft is going to burn forever!”

Back