What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In Homage to the Humble Horse Blanket

PandaCub

Custom cowl covers may be nice and light for packing on the plane, but they're also rather expensive ($450+ last time I checked). If your bird lives in a hangar, don't overlook the basic horse blanket. I found this one used for $20 at a neighboring ranch sale.

Cut off all metal buckles etc to avoid scratches and voila - effectively hold in heat from the engine (or preheater) and get a durable work mat to boot:

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 121
Good tip!

I have some birds in my shared hangar, and they can be "active". I use 12 moving blankets to cover the whole aircraft - takes about 3 minutes to put the blankets on or take them off, and no droppings on the paint or canopy.

I keep the same clean side down. I have washed a couple when they needed it in a local laundrymat and let them air dry.

Harbor Freight moving blankets are a good option for wrapping a cowl. I've also used them many times for padding while wallowing around on the floor under the plane or as padding while working in the cabin. They are inexpensive and often on sale.

If the wife wants to change out the king size bed comforter, she used to love, every few years, and never wants to see the old comforter again, well: “honey, before you throw that comforter in the trash, let me take care of that for you!”

My bird spends the winter tucked in with an old comforter over a moving blanket and a 60 watt trouble light stuffed into the cowl. All the preheat I need to keep flying all winter. Most of the time.

Attachments

• BE28EBF6-916A-4766-874B-2DE27534299A.jpg
    BE28EBF6-916A-4766-874B-2DE27534299A.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
My wife is an equestrienne so horse blankets come and go regularly around here, but I've never thought to snag one from her (doubtful she's notice). Seems like it would work well...i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next time one shows up around here for washing.

My plane has a Rieff Turbo heater system on a cell phone switch so I don't really need a blanket in the hangar, but I still throw an old stadium blanket over the cowl to speed the warmup a bit in the winter.

Good tip on the horse blanket...I never thought of that. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 5.02.41 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 5.02.41 PM.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 127
Back