What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 canopy vent

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
Posting for a friend:

Looking for an original style vent that goes on the canopy skirt on an RV4. It’s a NACA shaped vent with a door that opens and closes via a knob on the inside. Clockwise to close the door opening that is hinged on the forward end of the NACA opening. In the picture below, on the forward vent, the door and the threaded shaft that the door operates on is missing. On the aft vent it’s all there and works. Does anyone have access to one of these, or know if they are still made and where to get it? Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

D222FFFA-1614-4C88-9428-3A4D7B0B52CA.jpg

7323F563-85EB-471E-A15B-1209D124C579.jpg

Been There - Done That

I know you are trying to recover there original status of this vent; but, out of curiosity, have you ever checked its performance in flight?

I installed two of these in my -4 way back when, because my "mentor" did.

In my case, the only thing they were good for was to suck smoke out of the cockpit, should the need arise. After trying mine once, they stayed closed for the next 15 years.

YMMV - and I hope it does.

HFS
RV-4 S/N 1136

Same here

Dont waste your time with the vent in that location. I added a NACA vent on the lower right side between wing root and firewall. Blows plenty of air, even in Az summers. Only needed one vent it works so well. My rear canopy vent is also worthless.

My friend says that the vents actually work very well, so we’re only trying to fix the front one because the door mechanism is broken. Do you know where you got yours, or who makes/made them? He would prefer to repair what he has if possible. Looking for replacement vent, or replacement parts for what he has.

Thanks

Back