What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x Touch Connext or Flightstream?

GimpyPilot

Well Known Member
So my 7A has a G3x Touch (10 Inch) and a GTN 650. I am an unabashed ForeFlight user, and I'd like to be able to load flight plans from ForeFlight into my panel. My G3x Touch is one of the earliest, and it needs some sort of module added to it to enable the full wireless suite. (I have the module, but I haven't installed it yet. That will happen with the Condition Inspection, shortly.)

My question... Do I need a FlightStream 210 for ForeFlight connectivity? Some of what I have seen vaguely suggests that one can connect wirelessly to the G3x Touch and push FF flight plans to the GTN from there.

As you may have guessed, I bought my 7A. I did not build it.

Incidentally, the panel is also equipped with a Dynon D6 (backup EFIS) and a PS 5000 (audio panel). I would like to replace them with a Garmin G5 and a GMA 245 respectively, so I can get the full benefit of CAN Bus integration. If anyone has sources for either of these at less than retail, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
-Michael

You don't need the flightstream with Garmin touch. Are you sure you have the non-apple module, I didn't think any of the touch units came with those unless someone converted from the non touch unit. There is a way to see which module you have but I'd have to go look at the manual as don't recall off hand.

I'm not really sure of much, but the previous owner of N418RT was one of the very first G3x Touch adopters. (In fact, it was so early that when the Touch was announced and released after he had already purchased and cut a panel for the original G3x. He arranged a trade-in for the Touch before the original units were ever installed. (Obviously he had to cut a new panel.) Garmin later advised him that a new module would be required for proper wireless comms. (I didn't/don't know if it was an Apple/Non-Apple issue.) Richie never got around to getting the new module, but he did get Garmin to send him one when I bought the airplane last year. He sent that to me, and I have it here. It will be installed shortly.

Thanks for the information!
-Michael

Last edited:
I have an early G3X Touch panel that was built by SteinAir. I definitely had to swap the config module in order for it to talk to my iPad. I think the old module is green in color. If you have that one, the iPad won’t talk to it.

Pretty easy swap if have access to the connector.

You don't need the flightstream with Garmin touch. Are you sure you have the non-apple module, I didn't think any of the touch units came with those unless someone converted from the non touch unit. There is a way to see which module you have but I'd have to go look at the manual as don't recall off hand.

Page 2-20:
To test for the installation of the Apple iOS compatible configuration module, enter config mode, select the System Information page, highlight PFD1, press Menu, and run the Apple compatibility test.

The IOS module is black.

Back