What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Managing Weather on trip to LA in RV-6A

rcsilvmac

Well Known Member
I recently flew to LA and back (Sacramento area) in my RV-6A. It was a great learning experience and I took the time to document the trip so I could learn, and in case others might want to learn from my experience. It is long narrative, but so was the trip!

Let me now if you find it useful. My first attempt at a blog...

The link has a password - it is "flying".

https://silvashutterbug.wordpress.com/2020/03/30/stormy-monday-my-trip-to-la-and-back/

password: flying

Chris: nice write up, thanks for sharing. Looks like you're a careful flyer, working the system, keeping your options open, and doing a self debrief - well done.
Minor thread drift; looks like you're running vortex generators on your RV. Care to comment on your perceived value of the VGs?

Doug
Seattle area

I purchased the VGs after reading a PIREP on the STOLSPEED site from another RV-6 owner. I wanted the extra margin of safety at critical AOA, and I feel they definitely soften the loss of lift. On the day of installation my clean power off stall went from a sharp break at 54 mph to a slow, mushing break at 49 mph. I was also hoping they would help me on cross wind landings. So far the biggest cross wind I have tried since installing them has been 8Kts and I thought they helped, but that could be confirmation bias on my part. I feel they definitely make the plane safer at stall speeds and were well worth it for my purposes. I was hoping to post some video from that day but haven't had time to edit it all together yet. I will probably do a post on them when I finish the video.

Last edited:
Back