What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 796 satellite acquisition

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All

My 796 has been getting slower and slower in acquiring the satellite lately and I was wondering if there is an internal battery in it ( I will assume there is one ) that needs to be replace if yes how hard is it to do so for the ones of you who may have done it..

Looked on Youtube for a possible video but didn't find any..

Thanks

Bruno

Hello All

My 796 has been getting slower and slower in acquiring the satellite lately and I was wondering if there is an internal battery in it ( I will assume there is one ) that needs to be replace if yes how hard is it to do so for the ones of you who may have done it..

Thanks

Bruno

Find the screws and pull it apart. Look around for a coin cell (CR2016, 2032, 2045, etc. ad nauseam). Replace coin cell...like other Garmin GPS units it may require de-soldering the old one.

Hello All

Thanks

Bruno

Hello Bruno,

Perhaps some troubleshooting first?

When you power-up the Aera 796 outside with a clear view of the sky and immediately go to the Tools, GPS Status page, are the date and time correct and what is the GPS receiver status?

Aera 796 GPS Status Page.png

If the date and time are not correct, how long does it take for them to be automatically corrected?

If you make a flight, land, power down the Aera 796, then power it up a few minutes later (with a clear view of the sky) and immediately look at the Tools, GPS Status page, are the date and time correct at power-up and does it have an immediate GPS fix with lots of green bars?

How often do you use the Aera 796? (time between uses)

Steve

Hi Steve

''are the date and time correct and what is the GPS receiver status?''

Yes the date and time are correct but the GPS Status takes a long time to acquire the satellites vs the other GPS I have in the a/c ( Skyview & GNS 480 ) on the first power up.

Once I flown with it, it seem to acquire the satellites faster...

I used it or at least powered it up a few times a week

I will open the case and look for a battery and replace it, it may cure the problem...

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Bruno

Hi Steve

''are the date and time correct and what is the GPS receiver status?''

Yes the date and time are correct but the GPS Status takes a long time to acquire the satellites vs the other GPS I have in the a/c ( Skyview & GNS 480 ) on the first power up.

Once I flown with it, it seem to acquire the satellites faster...

I used it or at least powered it up a few times a week

I will open the case and look for a battery and replace it, it may cure the problem...

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Bruno

Hello Bruno,

No problem with the internal real time clock. Don't take it apart.

It sounds like you have a GPS signal reception problem. The other devices you mention probably use external antennas.

How is your 796 mounted and is it using an internal or external antenna?

Have you added any potential GPS jammers like USB charging devices?

Use the GPS status page both inside and outside the plane to see if there is a difference.

Power up the 796 by itself in the plane and see if that makes a difference.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve

My 796 is using the little Black antenna that came with it..

I will borrow my friend's 796 antenna and check to make sure that is or not an antenna issue next time I'm at the hangar...

I did not install any USB Chargers so I can rule that one out.

I will also power the 706 all by itself and see if it makes a difference..

Thanks

Bruno

UPDATE: I tried using my friend 796's antenna and my 796 worked as advertised. So I had a closer look at my antenna and found the wiring insulation was rubbing on the airframe exposing the wiring and most likely disabling the antenna.. I repaired the wiring and it is now working just fine..

Thank you all for your feedbacks, it is appreciated.;-)

Last edited:
Back