What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motors

rowsley

Van's now wants $560.00 for a flap actuator assembly. That's OK unless all you need is the motor.

I got a quote form the motor manufacturer to build new ones but the minimum order is 25 units.

If enough people are interested I can order them and pass them along at cost which would be $160.00 each plus shipping. So I guess about 170.00 per unit.

I still need to find out if the worm gear is included but I can't imagine that would add much.

Are there 24 folks out there that need one?

Have you looked at the PH (Pat Hatch) actuators?

I see your point in the savings, but just curious if you have looked at the PH aviation replacements. They are way less than OEM, and better quality.Pat Hatch is a straight up good guy and advertiser on here, who also has built several RV's. Give him a shout before you commit..he may have a better solution.

Apparently somebody needs a flap motor. Maybe because theirs quit.
Seems 95 percent of the time they just get some grease in the brushes. Tear it apart and have fun with the tiny little brushes.
Clean it out and they work fine.
I figure about every 250-400 hours it needs to be torn apart and cleaned.
Somewhat of a defect in the design, But hey it works
Art

I see your point in the savings, but just curious if you have looked at the PH aviation replacements. They are way less than OEM, and better quality.Pat Hatch is a straight up good guy and advertiser on here, who also has built several RV's. Give him a shout before you commit..he may have a better solution.

The ph ones also include the poison sensor if I'm not mistaken

The only issue with the PH product is it is not intended for the RV-8. It could probably be done with modifications. I might give that a try.

I put one in my 8. Nothing to it, I can post some pics whenever this never-ending cold I have goes away and I can get down to the hangar. Much better than the Vans unit.

I cant say enough good things about Pat and the flap motor I bought from him. He went out of his way to help me when I was having trouble setting it up on my g3x. It works great too. I have my old one sitting on a shelf that was never used because I could not get it to work with my system. I gave up and bought the PH motor.

When I took mine apart to clean it there was no grease present. Some carbon from brush wear but nothing abnormal. The flaps still fail to retract about 10% of the time. The only other thing I can think of is a brush sticking intermittently. The power, ground, and switches are all sound.

Sticking brushes

... The only other thing I can think of is a brush sticking intermittently. The power, ground, and switches are all sound.
You've nailed it: a small torsion spring presses each brush against the commutator. If the plastic brush holder has deformed (likely due to heat) the force is not enough for solid electrical contact.

I recently went through this same situation and feel your pain. $560 to replace the whole assembly for lack of a $5 plastic part is just crazy. Since neither Van's nor Usher would help, I resolved the situation myself with parts from a used eBay motor.

So someone had asked me for a photo of my ph flap motor install in my 8. I have the original style which will "creep" up a few degrees from full flaps on final. Half flaps there is no creep.

Also shown is an install with the new, larger version that does not creep. The creep is not noticeable, as my stall speed is the same at half flaps and full flaps so it isn't a problem.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1652998282598.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652998282598.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 144
  • FB_IMG_1652998300759.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652998300759.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 139
So someone had asked me for a photo of my ph flap motor install in my 8. I have the original style which will "creep" up a few degrees from full flaps on final. Half flaps there is no creep.

Also shown is an install with the new, larger version that does not creep. The creep is not noticeable, as my stall speed is the same at half flaps and full flaps so it isn't a problem.

A new motor with the gear pressed on is available from Usher Precision for $150.00. I’m sure Pat’s actuator is better, I just don’t want the big motor on top of the arm rest in an -8 install.

Call Dan Gregg with Usher Precision at 503-992-0015 if you want the new motor. It’s a simple install.

Progressive automations

Here's another option. After cleaning my Van's motor twice, I ordered an actuator from Progressive Automations of Richmond, BC, Canada. I bought via phone order a PA-14-custom to get the same 5" stroke length of the Van's unit. I also ordered it with 1/4-28 threads so that a rod end bearing works with it. It is roughly the same length as the Van's assembly. I had to make new mounting ears to center it on the flap mount channel of my 6 which was no big thing. It does not have the position sensor in it as PH unit does. It shuts off at the end of its stroke with an internal microswitch unlike the Van's setup. It works great and I'm really happy with it.

Overall cost including special order charge and shipping to California was $167.57 in June of 2020.

Ed

I have a brand new Vans Flap Motor

If your interested I have a brand new never installed flap motor I got in a kit I bought. PM me or call me at 515-zeven zero zeven - zero 124

Ryan

Back