What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

Jan, good eye.

Yes, it is off white a bit more of a cream. Sorry but I do not have the name of the paint at the moment.

Teaser two.

Current status shot, best I have at the moment.

All color choices and basic design by Laura, I am just a mechanic but she is the artist.

We will be going to pick up the plane tomorrow, should have photos of the finished paint job soon.

I think I need to start a new thread in the "Finished RV 10" forum:D

Enjoy (hopefully)

CIMG2879.JPG

AFS Avionics have arrived

This last weekend was another great milestone. My avionics arrived from SteinAir and had a chance to get them installed and turned on. I already had all the harness and required wiring done before hand so it was just a matter of mounting and plugging in.

The end is getting near. A bit of interior and then paint and be ready for inspection.

151-M.jpg

154-M.jpg

153-M.jpg

152-M.jpg

2000 hours in

Well at 2 years 5 months I have now reached 2000 hours in a slow build kit.
Guessing I have about 600 hours left, hopefully will complete it right at the 3 year mark.

HS - Painted & complete. Rest of tail still needs blue/grey paint, just has based coat. Still need to paint wings, fuselage, and fiberglass parts.
IMG_3567.JPG

Engine Mounted, but not hooked up. Cowling mostly done.
7F955F75-3B7C-45DD-A142-A55281AFF67F.JPG

Wheelpants done, and actuall filled and primed
C38BA260-111B-4419-B507-715764F670D8.JPG

Interior in.
IMG_3161.JPG

Wiring 70% complete.

IMG_3165.JPG

Definately in the 90% done, 90% to go. Figure just the painting will take me another 3-4 months, then a few more to connect the engine & finish the wireing.

First Engine Start

I've been busy with getting the RV-10 busy, new job, and moving into a new house, so I haven't been posting much.

This actually happened early last week.

First engine start. A few issues discovered, all easily fixed. No leaks found.

FP15072013A00005.jpg

Short youtube video

watch

bob

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

Bob, congrats on the first engine run.

Another one checked off the short list :D

It shouldn't be long now..........

The Big Move For N959RV

Today was the day for the big move to the airport hanger, KOZW Livingston County Airport, about 8 miles away. I arranged for one of the larger local towing companies to haul the fuselage and wings in two trips to the hanger. They used their larger roll down flat bed and the mains had about 4" of bed left on each side. The winch made the loading easy and I used a tie down strap on the nose gear, two straps on each side of the wing spar, and two straps on the tail tie down. The plane did not budge even bouncing on 2 miles of dirt road littered with pot holes. I built my wing cradle to also be a shipping container and it also performed flawlessly. This move went a whole lot better than the move with the Cozy MKIV when we rented a trailer! This was the best $200 I spent on the aircraft as far as I am concerned. We even had time to get the wings on along with the VS, HS, and rudder before we called it a day. I have the wing box listed for free on the forum in the classified if anyone needs it.
IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Congratulations!!

David, lookin good, shouldn't be long now------hehehe :rolleyes:

Good luck with the final assembly and inspection:D

David, lookin good, shouldn't be long now------hehehe :rolleyes:

Good luck with the final assembly and inspection:D

Thanks Mike. Its a 20' paint job I did in the shop. This is the second trip to the airport for me,,,the first being a Cozy MKIV on a trailer. Never thought of using a wrecker flat bed truck until I read about it here on this forum!

The time has come to ship the RV10 to the paint shop.....we were even able to test fly it prior to painting but it only lifted 10 feet off the ground and had to land shortly after takeoff. My boys thought I had lost it when I told them to strap it to the truck in the photo:)

2013-09-02191134_zpsaa2ed483.jpg.html

We loaded it in a 48' enclosed trailer with the wings and harnessed it down for the four hour drive.

2013-09-02191300_zps9e139ab8.jpg.html

2013-09-02194417_zpsb87a7306.jpg.html

The time has come to ship the RV10 to the paint shop.....we were even able to test fly it prior to painting but it only lifted 10 feet off the ground and had to land shortly after takeoff. My boys thought I had lost it when I told them to strap it to the truck in the photo:)

Nice work Jack! One step closer... (resolved the picture issue for ya too)...

2013-09-02191134_zpsaa2ed483.jpg

2013-09-02191300_zps9e139ab8.jpg

2013-09-02194417_zpsb87a7306.jpg

Jack,
Congratulations on the completion. I transported mine on an open bed tow truck. Quite a site going down the road. I would have never considered a trailer. Wait till you get it back, it will be a real incentive to get it back together an flying!
Bill

Tail Cone Attach

Well, at least the first time...

2v3qyo5.jpg

I'm taking the picture, so that's RV-6 owner Rick and my wife in the background.

I'm also starting to try to figure out upholstery. Here's a Barbie sized seat back cover:

2lnudj.jpg

==dave==

Brandi,

I went to your blog the other day to see if there was any update on the paint.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Who's doing the painting for y'all?

Jeff

Brandi,

I went to your blog the other day to see if there was any update on the paint.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Who's doing the painting for y'all?

Jeff

We just took her in Friday so it will be a while yet.

Don Smith at KVPC.

Brian drove up to the paint shop last week to take the doors off and snapped a couple of photos of the primed plane and parts. We were super excited to see what had been done in just 4 1/2 weeks!

About mid-day Wednesday we get a text message from the painter with photos of a painted wheel pant! I cried when I saw them (blame it on the hormones). Ha! We drove up to KVPC that night to pick up the wheel pant and make sure the colors were good before clearing him to finish the rest of the plane.

We both agreed that the colors were spot on and gave him the go ahead to finish the plane. Today he sent us another photo of him working on the wing. I'm pretty sure he's just as excited about this as we are and that's awesome!

Congrats!

I was waiting for news about your paint job, and also secretly expecting news of the "family addition." Big time congrats!

Paint scheme

Love the paint scheme. Seems very original. please keep posting picts of the plane.

Last edited:
Painting done

Well it has taken 6 months and 396 hours, but the paint job is done! Well actually not totally done, as I still have the wing root fairings and access panels to go. It was a good learning experience, but not sure I would do it again in the tight space I had to paint.... now if I had a hanger to paint in, I would do it again.
13+-+1

13+-+2

13+-+3

Congrats

Congratulations Brian and Brandi on both counts! One good thing is that, once you have a kid, the parents should be able to figure out that you'll only have two...unless you get another/bigger plane :) Maybe they'll stop pestering.

I can't wait to see the paint job. Looks like a nontraditional scheme - love to see some creativity.

Congrats Brandi and Brian

The way Brandi informed Brian of the addition is priceless. Very bright idea. Since the plane is "baby" blue, does that mean it is a boy?

Congrats on the addition and the plane paint looks outstanding. Please keep us posted.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT Phase I

Painting done

Bill, great paint job and you did this in only 396 hours? You are fast or you did not include fiberglass prep and prime. Painting is a real chore and I admire anyone that completes the task. It took us 613 hours to paint the tiger. My wife told me to just paint it white with a blue stripe and some days I wished I had listened to her. Your paint job is outstanding. I look forwad to seeing it all put together.
Congratulations.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT
Katy, TX

Bill, great paint job and you did this in only 396 hours? You are fast or you did not include fiberglass prep and prime. Painting is a real chore and I admire anyone that completes the task. It took us 613 hours to paint the tiger. My wife told me to just paint it white with a blue stripe and some days I wished I had listened to her. Your paint job is outstanding. I look forwad to seeing it all put together.
Congratulations.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT
Katy, TX

Mine took 99 hours to prep, prime, and paint. I paid the painter by the hour, so that is how I can remember that number. My family also helped him tape and mask (basically all the grunt work)

All the fiberglass prep was done by my wife and I before we took the plane to the painter. He only dealt with the few pinholes that we missed. I will also comment that my wife and I spent a good deal of last summer (2012) working on the fiberglass. That would most likely put us well above 500 hours, but I would have to check mykitlog logs.

bob

Most of fiberglass work

The 400 hrs includes all the fiberglass work I did while painting. Some on the doors and top was done as I was doing them. Possibly as much as 50 hrs. Probably will end up right near 500 by the time I do access panels and other incidentals that I have left.

Does look like your grown up 9, but I did sweep the blue more on the wings.
(evidently never took a picture with the tip and tank on) Blue goes all the way to the wing root on the fuel tank.
IMG_3840.JPG

Transition training/ return from paint!!

Thanks to Mike Seager for Rv10 training....as previous posted, he is one of a kind.

1853fd38-8eb2-4897-8885-ada4e96aa917_zps4c7eed04.jpg

Thanks to Underground Customs from Redmond or for professional paint.

Thanks to Scheme designers for paint scheme

2013-11-09115025_zps5e80b117.jpg

Jack,
Nice work with the design scheme. The paint looks absolutely stunning. What type of paint did you use? I particularly like the fixture for the fork lift!
Bill

I love it Jack. Beautiful work and another milestone along the path to flight. Thanks for sharing the details with me.

Welcome to Vaf, Jim Early

Ok...Mr Early...I beat Mike Starkey to welcome you here...
Since no one knows who you are I am going to introduce you.

Jim and Teresa Early...location Prosser Wa
Project- Rv10...wings and emp complete ( Stein fast forwarded this one)
Fuse on order and progress will progress rapidly:)
Guys be ready, this guy is extremely smart so if he asks a question careful how you answer because he probably already knows the answer, he is just testing us.....ask how I know:)

Jim, Ken Scott from Vans firmly advised you of one thing on your demo flight " stay off the internet" so why are you here already?:)

Welcome to VAF!

Jim,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have another 10 builder on board.

...I beat Mike Starkey to welcome you here....

No respect, just makes me feel like Rodney Dangerfield-----but hey at least I got the cool smiley welcome thingie :D:rolleyes:

Almost finished

:D We got her back from the paint shop Friday night and couldn't be more pleased!! Now all I've got to do is finish up a couple of interior items and she'll be finished.

Our cousin designed the scheme.
Don Smith at KVPC did the paint and fiberglass finishing work.
Time in paint was 12 weeks.

If you're in the southeast and looking for a painter, we highly recommend giving Don a call. PM one of us for his contact info.

Very nice! What was the inspiration for the design?

We wanted something unique and bright. We had given our cousin, who's a graphic designer, a few ideas of graphics and colors that we liked and she came up with a handful of different designs for us to choose to from. We chose one very similar to this and then tweaked it a little bit to get the final design.

Back