What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair fuel pump cover fitting issues

ge9a

Well Known Member
I'm doing final assembly and running into the typical fit issues. Not a big deal, just takes time. Specifically, I have manual trim installed per the plans and I'm trying to install the Andair cover for the fuel pump.
But of course the manual trim cable is in the way. I could cut a slot in the cover for the trim cable, but before doing so, I want to check for other ideas (there are ALWAYS things I haven't thought of, ALWAYS good ideas presented here). I've searched the forums but haven't come up with any good pictures showing the cover WITH manual trim. Any advice or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ask Van's for the longer cable

Same issue on my 9A. Van's support said you need a longer cable, which they sent me, if you have a fuel injected Lycoming with the electric boost pump. The longer cable works just fine, except that the angle is lower by virtue of having to travel further forward to clear the front of the fuel pump housing, which puts the trim cable knob uncomfortably close to the fuel selector lever. I haven't done it, but I suppose a new cable bracket could be fabricated that moves the trim cable knob further forward and up to move it out of the way of the fuel selector.

Thanks for the response. I think I already have the longer trim cable. If you happen to have a picture handy of your fuel pump cover with the manual trim cable installed, I'd love to see it. If not handy, don't worry about it.

Thanks!

I do not have manual trim but I do have fuel injection with the boost pump and fuel filter, and more specifically to the issue, return fuel lines to both tanks in that area in my 9A. With all the fuel lines the cover would not fit over everything. I actually cut some relief “slots” out of the sides of the cove so the protruding fuel lines would extend past them. Ultimately though I did not like that setup. So, for the past 12 years I have flown over 800 hours WITHOUT the cover over all of that plumbing. I haven’t missed having it on once in the past 12 years.

Andair Fuel Pump Cover

Greg, I checked my build log and have photos of the parts but not the final assembly. If you have the longer cable and it is still not reaching around the back of the fuel pump cover, you might consider fabricating a new fuel valve cover/trim cable bracket to move the trim cable knob further forward and up rather than cutting a notch in the fuel pump cover. That would give you more room to reach the fuel selector lever, anyway, and probably give the trim cable enough slack to reach around the fuel pump cover.
Just a thought.

Back