What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking a VAF member for a fly in Sydney Australia

eddieseve

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago VAF member Randy Garrett posted that he was travelling to Sydney and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take him for a fly in an RV in Australia.

As I'm always looking for an excuse to go flying I volunteered. A few email and text message exchanges later we hatched a plan.

Randy was staying in Sydney near Central Station, I live to the North West about an hours drive in traffic and my airport is 1 hour southwest of the city, so we agreed that Randy would catch the train from Central to Campbelltown where I would pick him up for the drive to Wedderburn Airport.

So how to identify someone you have never met, selfie of course;

2ldcenc.jpg

Wedderburn airport, the old and the new;

http://wedderburnairstrip.com.au/

Randy and my RV7 at Wedderburn airport

2ljrwav.jpg

And again

1zy7ls5.jpg

Our flight plan to get us into Sydney Harbor and back to Wedderburn with a little coastal flying included.
Our track took us from Wedderburn up to Hornsby, then to Long Reef on the coast where we got our airways clearance for a Harbor Scenic 1
Once the Harbor Scenic was complete we descended into Victor 1 south bound to Wollongong and back to Wedderburn

9kumih.png

Approaching Sydney from the North

k38yz5.jpg

Sydney Harbor in all its glory, as you can see the weather cooperated just a little

fzb0n8.jpg

Looking at North and South Head, the entrance to Sydney Harbor

33cqhk3.jpg

Float plane passing under us

k9ylbn.jpg

Last edited:
You da man Eddie. If I ever get down under, I will be sure to look you up. If you ever get in the Idaho part of our country, look me up!

Hey guys,

There are a lot of RVers in Sydney that are always up for taking visitors for a fly so if your over this way don't be shy.

Cheers

Sydney Harbour is beautiful and about 16 years ago was there for the centennial fireworks off the Sydney Harbour Bridge with my future wife. Planning to go again with the idea of leaving San Diego for an airpark somewhere along the coast. Will be there soon and may look around Wollongoon so I can volunteer at HARs museum.

First visit to Sydney included a helicopter flight to the Blue Mountains at a remote cabin along a pristine river. While searching the pictures on the wall who do I see but an autographed picture of Chuck Yeager... yes Chuck fished just outside where our helicopter landed. We had steak for lunch.

Wings over Illawarra (Wollongong) is on at the of April, should be a fabulous airshow event.

Cheers

Sydney Harbour is beautiful and about 16 years ago was there for the centennial fireworks off the Sydney Harbour Bridge with my future wife. Planning to go again with the idea of leaving San Diego for an airpark somewhere along the coast. Will be there soon and may look around Wollongoon so I can volunteer at HARs museum.

First visit to Sydney included a helicopter flight to the Blue Mountains at a remote cabin along a pristine river. While searching the pictures on the wall who do I see but an autographed picture of Chuck Yeager... yes Chuck fished just outside where our helicopter landed. We had steak for lunch.

Back