What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A Firewall Foward Kit

jdozment

Patron
Just interested, Are most builders purchasing the complete firewall forward kit for the 390-EXP119 from Van’s or purchasing individual items from various suppliers including Van’s?

Firewall forward kit

I found it easier and quicker to order the whole thing from Van’s. I did a 6 and now my 14. Earlier I did two 6’s one piece at a time and really did not save any money and certainly no time. Good luck.

+1 FWF

I also purchased the FWF when I used the original IO 390 engine. Seemed most parts are the ones I needed anyway. Other have gone the route of buying from third party or ordering the parts separate from Vans.

I suggest all take a careful look at what comes in the FWF kit and delete those items that you may want replace with a different model. Such as:
- Alternator
- Oil Cooler
- Prop Governor

Carl

I ordered my hoses from Aircraft Specialty Flightlines. Very happy with their advice, ordering and speed of delivery. Product came in a week or two ago and everything looks very nice. Engine estimated to arrive somewhere around Christmas so I'll see how everything fits then!

I suggest all take a careful look at what comes in the FWF kit and delete those items that you may want replace with a different model. Such as:
- Alternator
- Oil Cooler
- Prop Governor

Carl

Going with a B&C primary and secondary alternator. Which oil cooler and prop governor would you recommend? Also, if you use a different oil cooler does it bolt on without and modification?

JIm

Going with a B&C primary and secondary alternator. Which oil cooler and prop governor would you recommend? Also, if you use a different oil cooler does it bolt on without and modification?

JIm

I like the PCU-5000X governor. I installed it in an 8A, 10 and an 8.

I tend to use AirFlow oil coolers. On the RV-10 I stayed with one that has the same dimensions as the Van’s FWF kit cooler. For the RV-14 the photo of the provided cooler for the RV-14 on Van’s Web Store is an AirFlow cooler.

Carl

RV14A firewall foward kit

Thanks for all the replies. This will be very helpful as I move forward. The Finishing kit and engine are expected in January. After a long wait, the Quickbuild wings are expected in February, 22; (ordered August, 2020). All else is pretty much complete. Right now I’m reviewing work completed thus far, installing Avionics and anxiously awaiting the remaining kits. Thanks again…

Back