What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AV-30 Questions

Cth6

Well Known Member
Anyone flying an AV-30 and find value in the audio alerts? All of the videos make them sound muddled.

Is the Synthetic AoA usable on approach (fly the single tone) or is more of a stall warning than anything else?

Finally, those that have one AV-30 do you find yourself sticking to the AI or are you switching to the DG or Traffic pages?

Thx.

AV-30 Audio alerts

I fly with two AV-30s and I find the only audio alerts I get are from the AOA. It serves as an audible stall warning (my only other warning is a light). That is useful on approach and in slow flight.

I leave one in AI mode and the other in DG mode, but they have a new wireless AVlink device that will depict ADS-B traffic from a wireless receiver on the DG with a mode switch. If I only had one AV-30, I suspect I would leave it in AI mode, as that mode has the most flight information on one screen.

Hope that helps.

I fly with two AV-30s and I find the only audio alerts I get are from the AOA. It serves as an audible stall warning (my only other warning is a light). That is useful on approach and in slow flight.

I leave one in AI mode and the other in DG mode, but they have a new wireless AVlink device that will depict ADS-B traffic from a wireless receiver on the DG with a mode switch. If I only had one AV-30, I suspect I would leave it in AI mode, as that mode has the most flight information on one screen.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! It does.

AV-30E CDI FUNCTION

For the AV-30 experts here ,

Could you guys tell me if the AV-30E can be used as a CDI to track and display an approach ( ILS or LPV for example) like a GI-106A will do ??

Thanks

Bruno

For the AV-30 experts here ,

Could you guys tell me if the AV-30E can be used as a CDI to track and display an approach ( ILS or LPV for example) like a GI-106A will do ??

Thanks

Bruno
No vertical guidance. From uAvionix support FAQ:
The AV-30 provides an RS-232 receive line for “aviation” or “moving map” output provided by virtually every panel mount GPS navigator in service. This data is broadcast by the GPS navigator and no data is sent from the AV-30 back to the GPS unit. NMEA is also supported, which is output by most hand-held GPS units. NMEA protocol supports baud rate speed of 4800 and 9600, while “Aviation/moving map” protocol is fixed at a 9600 baud rate.

When connected to an external GPS navigator or hand-held, AV-30 operates as a repeater display. The data provided includes current waypoint ID, distance to destination, ground speed, cross-track error, desired track, and bearing to waypoint.

This data can be overlayed in the textual fields as desired and is used to create the compass rose (GPS Track), moving map display (ARC Mode), and create the GPS HSI presentation when the AV-30 is operating as a DG instrument. When operating as an attitude indicator, it can drive the direction tape and provides a bearing-to indicator.

The AV-30 does not currently support vertical navigation display, but this feature will be introduced with the APA-10 autopilot interface box.

AV-30E CDI FUNCTION

Well, I was hoping it will work

I guess I will be on the lookout for a 2 1/4'' GI-106A...

Thanks a lot for the info, it's appreciated..

Bruno

Hello VAF Brain trust. For those of you who have installed the AV-30, (installing mine today) on the Audio output, which one did you use? Hi or low?

Thanks
Chris

Hello VAF Brain trust. For those of you who have installed the AV-30, (installing mine today) on the Audio output, which one did you use? Hi or low?

Thanks
Chris

Both. The AV-30 High goes to High on your audio selector/intercom. AV-30 Low goes to the low on your audio selector/intercom. Grounded the shield on the back of the audio selector.

Back