What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-Sub connectors

Kiwi.Paul

I'm New Here
Hi guys
I’m starting the wiring on my RV-7 project and was wondering if there was any reason why I should use the Garmin autopilot servo connector kit ($45) instead of a standard D-sub connector for a few bucks?

Cheers
Paul

You can easily make your own cables if you are willing to buy the parts, the GOOD tools for assembly, and invest a little time.

Cheers… yes I am making my own cables / looms but was asking about the plugs themselves….. just seems an excessive cost for the Garmin plug V a generic plug

Garmin's implementation of RS-232,RS-485, and CANBus is dependent upon good shield terminations (drains) which the Garmin connectors have in spades. Further, the connectors (not the back shells) are MilSpec TE/Amphenol parts (read: $$$) and machined D20 contacts (read: more $$$ plugs & sockets).

So, yeah, can save a few bucks on cheap stamped tin D-shells and not capable back shells and maybe spend a ton of time down the road debugging problems.

Or buy the genuine article and not worry so much about it...

as far as servo connections, I've always used standard d-sub parts, never a problem. The shells are just there for strain relief and to hold the pins and sockets in place and can be plastic, tin or whatever. Get good quality pins and sockets and a good quality crimper (Stein or AS). If you're connecting shielded (like RS-232) cables, the Garmin shells give you a good place to ground the shields and a sturdy backshell, but you could do the same with a little effort. Your call.

Last edited:
You can easily get by with a few buck for the actual connector body itself, but I really like the high grade metal back shells that Garmin provides in their install kits. The jack screws have safety wire holes so you can keep the screws from backing out and they provide a good strain relief clamp and threaded holes to tie shield grounds to when you're terminating the shielded cables.

I liked them so much that I ordered extra for the few non-Garmin D-dsub connections I had on other boxes. A bit pricey, but the quality sure is good!

Back