What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Well Traveled Loaf

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
Roy and I have taken a liking to a whole wheat loaf made by a Mennonite family in our neck of the woods. The yummy sandwich-making goodness is baked from ground whole kernel wheat, water, salt, yeast, and vinegar for a preservative. I scored the last loaves in stock - bonus, they were on sale for 50% off, when provisioning for our trek to family gatherings two weeks ago.
The first loaf we packed in the car, along with eggs, sausage and sandwich makings to share with Roy’s brother and his wife at our AirBnb near the house where the other 20 or so cousins were staying. We decided to travel like normal humans, since Chattanooga is only a 3 hour drive from 04TN. That loaf provided 2 breakfasts and a few lunches, and did not survive to make the trip home to 04TN.
Two days later, we packed our plane to travel to the next get-together with cousins on the other side of the family in Lafayette, LA. Again, we packed a loaf in our lunch bag with a jar of peanut butter, a jar of almond butter (I don’t like peanut butter) and the dregs of a jar of honey.
08D119E4-2A84-4EED-9DBF-84B7BE44C8B7.jpg
Caption: N174RT on the ramp in Meridian with a T-36.

Due to consuming too much coffee before our departure that morning, I popped out of the plane and jogged to the FBO at our fuel stop at Meridian, MS.
“Please get the lunch sack,” I holled back to Roy.
No need, as it turns out. It was cheeseburger day at Meridian. Thick, juicy cheese-draped patties hot off the grill. Hotdogs were also available, along with soft-serve ice cream with toppings.
D4F79447-1835-4FCA-98FA-8F027258E5B4.jpg
Caption: The burger disappeared before I could get a photo

Nevertheless, the loaf was placed in the fridge at our Lafayette AirBnB, along with eggs, and other breakfast-type fare. Roy’s brother and his wife joined us for this gathering as well. They flew in a big, silver tube from Atlanta, GA. I tried not to feel smug about Roy and I skipping the whole TSA, big airport thing in favor of walking from our house to our hangar, putting our bags in the plane and taking off.
25094976-BAF4-49A7-98C2-987D7A4CDA1C.jpg
Caption: A swamp tour. The swamp was incredibly beautiful, and bug-free.

This second loaf survived the stay in Lafayette, as breakfast consisted of left-overs of our dinners of rice and beans, jambalaya with andouille sausage and omelets made with shrimp from a seafood boil.

C0E653A0-E473-4E53-AC04-4915DFFD41CF.jpeg
Caption: Crawfish and Shrimp boil with taters and corn. Yum, yum!

9584B098-1E03-44D1-991C-A88C0A4271F4.jpg
Caption: Big world, Small Sandra at the Tabasco plant, Avery Island

3FA3696E-704B-46EA-86E5-B16D24594E3D.jpeg
Caption: Tabasco in the barrel

BECEB564-21E0-499B-B8C6-9DEC1BDD900A.jpeg
Caption: Do not go swimming in the swamp!

Never ones to waste food, Roy and I packed the loaf along with the PB&J and almond butter (the honey was gone) when we left Lafayette for a short visit with friends in Austin, Texas.
Again, the loaf went into the fridge. A few slices were used for lunch sandwiches, but the majority was usurped by BYOT (bring your own tacos) at the local brewery.
Next, our loaf traveled to McKinney, north of Dallas, for a short overnight visit there. You’ve got it. Loaf in the fridge. Dinner was take-out Thai and breakfast was at a local diner.
5E5BC324-A247-4B17-ABDC-F691EC63609F.jpeg
Caption: Sharing the garden bounty. Airport people are notoriously kind.

Not to fret. The loaf has a happy ending. The folks at the Holly FBO offered to drive us the 5 miles to town for fast-food lunch, Roy and I opted for sandwiches in the FBO, and they had grape jelly.
32B127CF-8B59-4FF7-8882-C96DF6EC7331.jpeg
The remainder of the loaf is back in the fridge at home at 04TN, and not a spec of mold anywhere. I think I’ll go make a slice of toast and watch rain falling on the runway.
AD30F1B3-3CE4-42C9-8D3B-DF5D57617EBD.jpg
Caption: Home again, home again. A well deserved reprieve for a tired pilot.

You guys sure made the rounds. You are welcome back anytime to "recharge". It was great to see you.

Wonderful write-up, Sandy! I'm sorry we didn't get to see you and Roy while y'all were in the DFW area.

Remember: Swamps don't exist in Louisiana.
Dem'r called "bayous", sho'nuff mon cher ami.

(Well, technically, swamps and bayous are actually two different types of water bodies, but we Cajuns just call'em bayous.)

Last edited:
Swamp vs Bayou

Hola Sid,
Roy and I are also sorry we didn’t connect. I’ll take the blame, as I was visiting in Arizona and Oregon prior to the family gatherings and hadn’t been home in almost 6 weeks. I was plum tuckered out. Our swamp guide said a swamp is an enclosed body of water whereas a bayou is connected to an open body of water. Or maybe it was the other way around?

Wonderful write-up, Sandy! I'm sorry we didn't get to see you and Roy while y'all were in the DFW area.
Remember: Swamps don't exist in Louisiana.
Dem'r called "bayous", sho'nuff mon cher ami.
(Well, technically, swamps and bayous are actually two different types of water bodies, but we Cajuns just call'em bayous.)

Just returned from RiverBoat Cruise on the Mississippi. Learned the name of the loneliest bayou in Louisiana; That would be "bayou-self"

Back