What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Order question

dweyant

Well Known Member
Hung the engine this weekend and completed the rest of section 43.

Was a bit surprised to see that section 44 (spinner) is next.

I’m a little hesitant to start it next since it requires turning off the prop and removing the preservative oil coating.

So, is there a reason I should do section 44 next? Can I skip ahead and do the baffling and the other engine components first, then come back and do the spinner and the cowling?

Thanks,

-Dan

I delayed the spinner/cowl as long a possible for that same reason, but at least on the 7, it's a given that you're going have to trim the baffles to make them fit right, so that means the cowl has to come first.

Don't know if the 14 is the same of if the baffles have a better fit straight out of box.

I built a -10, not a -14, so I can't comment on the order specifically. I know that trying to get the spinner / cowl gap exactly perfect on the -10 took quite a bit of exact measuring and positioning.

But what I can comment on is the engine preservative - adding the throttle to my engine required removing the bottom panel from the engine and drained a lot of the preservative. I built my plane in a heated hangar in Colorado. Given the low humidity, Jeff at Lycoming said that the preservative is quite viscous and the coating inside the engine will be fine, even if much of the fluid drains out. Your mileage may vary, but depending on where you are storing the engine and how long you think it will be until you start it, maybe you can move the preservative around a little with prop turns and it isn't the end of the world.

Order of operations

Hung the engine this weekend and completed the rest of section 43.

Was a bit surprised to see that section 44 (spinner) is next.

I’m a little hesitant to start it next since it requires turning off the prop and removing the preservative oil coating.

So, is there a reason I should do section 44 next? Can I skip ahead and do the baffling and the other engine components first, then come back and do the spinner and the cowling?

Thanks,

-Dan

How would the builder get the cowl/spinner gap correct if the cowl isn't fit?
Engine, cowl, baffles or plenum in my case.
However, 14 kits seem to be "just add water" sort of kits so maybe you don't need the cowl fit. :D

I can’t find any reason not to do the baffles and all of the cables hoses etc. first. Anyone disagree?

-Da

Build order

I can’t find any reason not to do the baffles and all of the cables hoses etc. first. Anyone disagree?

-Da

I would. Baffles and cowl are sort of together. Can't trim the baffles till the cowl is fit.
Oh, now I understand. You need some sort of spinner or jig to get the cowl fit. You need something to position the cowl for the correct gap. That's why they want you to do the spinner first.
I wrote a three part article for Kitplanes. Check my blog (below).

Back