What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Legacy -12 Oil cooler relocation?

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Has anyone moved your oil cooler an inch or so forward on the legacy -12 to gain more exhaust clearance? If so, did it bring the oil temps down? I have been using a titanium wrap with success but it makes a mess. I am aware there is a new style exhaust.

It was a forum topic a few years ago. I modified my cowl during the build in 2013 to bring the oil cooler forward about an inch, as did a number of other builders around that time. I've never had an issue with temperatures in hot summer weather.

I live in Phoenix. Last year I trimmed a couple of inches from the lower cowl trailing edge to open the air exit and increase air flow. It made some improvement in temps, but not as much as I needed. This year I cut a 4” diameter circular hole in front of the cooler. The top edge of the hole is about 3/4” below the original cowling air intake opening. One flight so far at 90F OAT at takeoff. It still runs hot during climb out, but at least I was able to make a continuous climb to 6500 MSL (5500 AGL) without hitting 250F oil temp. After a few more flights I’ll be able to better judge the effectiveness, and I’ll post again.

Hi Jim,
I can't tell in the completed picture. Did you have to make an indentation for the exhaust stack on the LH side or just move 1" forward and tab back in?

Thank you

The LH exhaust spring was touching the cooling air duct for the water radiator. This modification was done prior to moving the oil cooler 1" forward.
-

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 3.57.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 3.57.25 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 62
My partner and I moved the radiator opening about 1" forward using posts here to guide us because of the heat in Phoenix. It helped somewhat but I believe the only real fix is to install Vans later exhaust system that moves the muffler itself back a few inches. We did not do that.

I know several -12is owners in hot climates that still get hot. They have the new exhaust. That’s a big $ investment.

I have flown three times with OAT on takeoff of 90 F since cutting the cooling hole in the lower cowling. It has stopped the Oil Temp alarms on climb out to 3500 MSL from a field elevation of about 1000 MSL. Still runs high into the yellow band, but a distinct improvement.

I did some maxiofacial surgery on the inner cowling to move the oil cooler at least an inch away from the muffler (it was originally ridiculously cloose—less than half an inch). I can’t recall the exact numbers, but the tems did come down.

Back