What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.21 Now Available (4/20/2023)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Greetings VAF!

We released G3X Touch Version 9.21 to the Software Download Area today.

We have been working to address some of the commonly requested EIS improvements/functions from the group over the years. Among those changes include the addition of EGT/CHT Normalize mode, custom fuel quantity, voltage and current gauge labels and the ability to designate many EIS parameters as text-only on the EIS strip (This allows the installer to display considerably more engine/airframe EIS parameters on the strip than was possible in the past).

In addition to these changes, we have included a powerful new Advanced Gauge Marking Configuration tool. This provides the installer with the ability to modify gauge or CAS behavior based on the state of other EIS parameters, in addition to altitude and airspeed. Examples of how this can be used are to provide an on screen indication of Vfe exceedance when flaps are in the extended position, or to create a dynamic RPM gauge that varies based on current Oil Temperature (Applicable to some Rotax engines). Please see Appendix I of the AS Revision of the G3X Touch Installation Manual for more information on these examples. Section 29.4.32.27 "Advanced Gauge Configuration", was also added to provide a users guide for this tool.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 085628.jpg

We will soon be launching a replacement for the GEA 24 EIS controller, the GEA 24B. This software update includes support for this unit. More information will be provided when we begin shipping this unit, but it is largely a fit/form/function equivalent of its predecessor.

Other changes included in this update:

• Remote CAS Acknowledgement - Three new discrete input presets were added that facilitate the remote acknowledgement of Caution and Warning level CAS Messages.
  • External Caution and Warning Lamp Configuration - Two new configuration settings were added that modify the behavior of the external Caution and Warning lamps. Between the Remote CAS Acknowledgement changes and this change, the commonly requested "Press to Acknowledge" external lamp behavior can be achieved.
  • Added Minimized Option for COM Radio Controls - This allows COM radio remote controls to be condensed into a single databar field, providing more space on the display for data fields or other remote LRU controls. See Screenshot above.
  • Added Flexibility to Sound Configuration Menu - Installers can now modify the volume for individual audible alerts by touching the associated Volume button in Configuration mode. The far left position of the volume slider sets the volume to AUTO. If set to AUTO the volume for that alert will be slaved to the MASTER ALERT VOLUME.

sound.jpg
  • New RS-232 Formats - Aviation Out, Fuel Flow Out, and Fuel/Airdata Out are now available to be selected in the Serial data configuration menu. Aviation Out is Primarily used to provide GPS data to ELT units. Fuel Flow Out and Fuel/Airdata Out are variants of the Shadin Format which can be used to provide data to a GTN, GNS, and others.
  • Discrete Input Preset for Remote Control of User Timer - When this input is activated momentarily, the G3X Touch user time will start/stop. When the input is held active, the user timer will reset.
  • Baro Transition Reminder - This serves as a reminder to the pilot to change the barometric pressure setting to standard when climbing through the barometric transition altitude, or to change the barometric pressure setting from standard to the local altimeter setting when descending through the barometric transition altitude.

A new Pilot's Guide (Revision V) and Installation Manual (Revision AS) have been released to support these changes and will be posted to our website today. These can be downloaded from the G3X Touch Manuals page.

Several updates have been included in a GDU 3XX software update, which was released alongside this update. A new G5 software version is also available, although when installed in a G3X Touch system, the G5 software is included in the G3X Touch software package.

Includes update to G5 software version 8.30
Includes update to GDL 5x software version 2.21
Includes update to GEA 24B software version 2.10
Includes update to GEA 24B boot block software version 2.00
Includes update to GMA 245 software version 3.00
Includes update to GMA 245 Bluetooth2 software version 2.00
Includes update to GMA 245 boot block software version 2.40
Includes update to GSA 28 software version 5.50
Includes update to timezone database version 32.00
Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
Includes GAD 13 software version 2.10
Includes GAD 13 boot block software version 2.00
Includes GAD 27 software version 2.70
Includes GAD 27 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GAD 29 software version 3.40
Includes GAD 29 boot block software version 3.10
Includes GAD 29C/D software version 2.10
Includes GAD 29C/D boot block software version 2.00
Includes GDL 39 software version 4.91
Includes GEA 24 software version 3.90
Includes GEA 24 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GI 260 software version 2.80
Includes GI 260 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GMA 245 audio software version 2.20
Includes GMA 245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
Includes GMC 507 software version 3.10
Includes GMC 507 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GMU 11 software version 2.20
Includes GMU 11 boot block software version 2.10
Includes GPS 20A software version 2.40
Includes GPS 20A boot block software version 2.10
Includes GSA 28 boot block software version 2.20/2.10
Includes GSU 25/B software version 4.40
Includes GSU 25/B boot block software version 2.30
Includes GSU 25C/D software version 2.90
Includes GSU 25C/D boot block software version 2.10
Includes GSU 73 software version 3.80
Includes GTR 20/200 software version 3.50
Includes GTR 20/200 boot block software version 2.40
Includes audio database version 2.80

Please contact us with any questions that come up!

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Those look like great additions. The G3X Touch just keeps getting better!

Can you tell me if the new GEA24B will have the same footprint? I am currently working on the panel layout for my 10 build.

Could not find "Minimized Option for COM Radio Controls" in the Pilot's Guide index. How does it work when you push it?

Thanks.

Minimized COM Controls

Those look like great additions. The G3X Touch just keeps getting better!

Can you tell me if the new GEA24B will have the same footprint? I am currently working on the panel layout for my 10 build.

Thank you! The GEA 24B has the same physical dimensions of the original GEA 24.

Great job G3Xperts!

You had me at Master Caution cancel (Boeing 737 feature).

Glad you are looking forward to it! This has been a very common request from the air transport drivers that use our system in in their personal aircraft.

Could not find "Minimized Option for COM Radio Controls" in the Pilot's Guide index. How does it work when you push it?

Thanks.

Ed,

See page 29-128 of the Installation Manual.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Glide slope request

Any chance of an option to have the glide slope indicator more like a traditional line similar to a course line indicator rather than a small indicator at the altitude tape? If I’m below glide slope I want it to be really obvious!

I would discourage anyone who uses a Vertical Power system from installing this software.

I just installed 9.21 with the following issue.

It has lost the ability to communicate certain aspects of the VPX. It does not properly display the Pitch Trim position pointer (movement is reversed).

It also seems that the AP auto trim function is no longer working.

I tried to revert back to 9.14, and it has been unsuccessful. It is not overwriting some of the new code left by 9.21.

I have been in communication with the G3Xperts, but there is no solution at this point.

Tomorrow I am going to try to install a much earlier s/w version and see if I can overwrite the code left by 9.21 that is causing these issues.

Last edited:
great

I would discourage anyone installing this software who uses a Vertical Power system.

I just installed 9.21 with the following issue.

It has lost the ability to communicate certain aspects of the VPX. It will not engage the A/P Auto-trim function through the VPX, nor does it properly display the Pitch Trim position pointer (movement is reversed).

I tried to revert back to 9.14, and it has been unsuccessful. It is not overwriting some of the new code left by 9.21.

I have been in communication with the G3Xperts, but there is no solution at this point.

Tomorrow I am going to try to install a much earlier s/w version and see if I can overwrite the code left by 9.21 that is causing these issues.

Thanks for the pirep...i will avoid that frustration for now...

Update on the installation issue with 9.21.

The trim issue was a non issue. Auto trim will not work on ground without airspeed. I should have read the manual!

The trim indication is still reversed and is still an issue with the VPX communication

I’m back to 9.14 until the trim indication issue is resolved

So, do these enhancements to provide better EIS data display configuration also apply to the new GDU 3xx updates? I have been hoping to see these for a while and would like them on my non-touch units.

Thanks

Update on the installation issue with 9.21.

The trim issue was a non issue. Auto trim will not work on ground without airspeed. I should have read the manual!

The trim indication is still reversed and is still an issue with the VPX communication

I’m back to 9.14 until the trim indication issue is resolved

Bill, can you let us know when resolved,

Thanks

Track Log Display Time

I have always liked seeing the track log (bread crumbs) shown on the map to see the previous aircraft track, but I don't like seeing the clutter of the flights from previous days shown on the map.

On previous software versions I needed to frequently clear the track log to remove track log clutter, but with V9.21, this became unnecessary.

There is a new track log configuration field called "Track Log Display Time".

TrackLogSetup.png

I like setting it to "Current Day" so the map is only showing the track logs for the flights made today, but it can also be set to "Current Flight" to just see the current flight, or "All" to work like it used to.

Steve

Auto Ranging Oil Pressure Gauge

The Lycoming O-235 L2C engine manual says that the oil pressure for this engine can be as low as 60 psi at normal in-flight power settings, and as low as 15 psi when hot and idling.

The oil pressure runs well above the normal power setting lower limit in flight, but when the oil is hot and the engine idles down to 700 rpm on roll-out after landing, it approaches the hot idle lower limit which is well below the green band for normal in-flight operations.

With the new capabilities of V9.21, I am now able to setup the oil pressure gauge to shift the bottom of the green band from 60 psi above 1800 rpm, to 18 psi when below 1800 rpm. No more false low oil pressure alerts on landing.

Oil Pressure gauge ranges when above 1800 rpm.

High RPM Oil Pressure Gauge.png

Oil Pressure gauge ranges below 1800 rpm (mostly for idle after touchdown).

Low RPM Oil Pressure Gauge.png

Steve

Just to be clear. I loaded 9.21 and the only issue I had was the pitch trim indication reversal when using the VPX as the trim management solution.

The EIS configuration enhancements were a great feature.

The VPX pitch trim issue could be resolved by reversing the polarity from the pitch output connector J2 pins 18 and 19 and changing the pitch trim polarity configuration using the VPX configurator.

Or…just wait for the next release

Questions

If the pic is representative of the new engine data displayed on the side in the split screen mode (synthetic vision and map with the engine data on the side) with no full set of CHT n EGT data displayed, sorry but that is a step backwards. The full set of CHT’s and EGT’s should always be displayed on the split screen without having to go to the engine page. Why are the MP and RPM gauges so BIG?

AFS, Dynon, and GRT has all the engine parameters displayed on the split screen page, why is Garmin having so much trouble?

Last edited:
I have always liked seeing the track log (bread crumbs) shown on the map to see the previous aircraft track, but I don't like seeing the clutter of the flights from previous days shown on the map.

On previous software versions I needed to frequently clear the track log to remove track log clutter, but with V9.21, this became unnecessary.

There is a new track log configuration field called "Track Log Display Time".

Oh, that's nice! I was just getting ready to read the manual to try to figure out how to clear those tracks, since I have months clogging up my display!

If the pic is representative of the new engine data displayed on the side in the split screen mode (synthetic vision and map with the engine data on the side) with no full set of CHT n EGT data displayed, sorry but that is a step backwards.

It's an extreme example showing what's possible if you select the text-only option for every single possible parameter. You don't have to set yours up the same way.

If the pic is representative of the new engine data displayed on the side in the split screen mode (synthetic vision and map with the engine data on the side) with no full set of CHT n EGT data displayed, sorry but that is a step backwards. The full set of CHT’s and EGT’s should always be displayed on the split screen without having to go to the engine page. Why are the MP and RPM gauges so BIG?

AFS, Dynon, and GRT has all the engine parameters displayed on the split screen page, why is Garmin having so much trouble?

Then don't change to any of the new engine data field options as shown in the sample an keep things the way you like them. I believe the screen shot shown was a way to explain all the field options available and not imply that would be a good depiction used in actual flight. Unless you were doing some specific test flight where real-time engine diagnostics is bein done.

With the new capabilities of V9.21, I am now able to setup the oil pressure gauge to shift the bottom of the green band from 60 psi above 1800 rpm, to 18 psi when below 1800 rpm. No more false low oil pressure alerts on landing.
Steve

This is kind of neat. I wonder what other clever things can be done with these logic signals. As I get used to my plane, one of the things that has started to slightly bother me is that before I start the engine, I've got the caution lights, warning lights and CAS messages lit up about oil pressure and fuel pressure. No duh, the engine hasn't even started yet. I'd like to inhibit these if I'm on the ground and the engine is not running, but obviously keep them if the engine is not running in the air.

Looking at Figure 29-64 in the installation manual, it seems these signals also have airspeed and altitude thresholds, so the above can be done. I'm going to have a go at it.

Very nice and complex feature. They even thought to include set/clear delays for debouncing. I used to program avionics software so I can appreciate the engineering effort that went into this feature. G3Xpert send my regards to the Garmin software developers!

I've got the caution lights, warning lights and CAS messages lit up about oil pressure and fuel pressure. No duh, the engine hasn't even started yet.

Looking at Figure 29-64 in the installation manual, it seems these signals also have airspeed and altitude thresholds, so the above can be done.

I have set mine up to suppress oil temp & pressure messages below 450 RPM. I think I will do the same with fuel pressure & voltage. Perhaps we can start a thread here where everyone can post their clever ideas for using this feature.

The point I’m making is AFS, Dynon, and GRT show the entire engine and aircraft data on the same screen as the split screen. Garmin is unwilling to do that. They continue to take up 1/3 of the engine data with the RPM and MP gauges. So they come up with text data removing the full CHT/EGT graph. You have no idea if the single CHT/EGT data shown on their text data option is way off from the other 3.

Currently the data uploaded to Savvy doesn’t have any hobbs or Tach time. There is no reason not to include it with every other parameter that is being collected. I’ve told multiple times over the last 1.5 yrs. It’s a simple 5 min s/w change to include those 2 parameters and they refuse. And don’t tell me to dump the raw data into excel to see the hobbs and Tach start times, totally inconvenient. I have several other things but it’s not worth the frustration.

You're right that Savvy doesn't show it, but it IS in the G3X logs files.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 4.23.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 4.23.52 PM.png
    40 KB · Views: 53
The point I’m making is AFS, Dynon, and GRT show the entire engine and aircraft data on the same screen as the split screen. Garmin is unwilling to do that. They continue to take up 1/3 of the engine data with the RPM and MP gauges. So they come up with text data removing the full CHT/EGT graph. You have no idea if the single CHT/EGT data shown on their text data option is way off from the other 3.

I am confused.

What’s missing from this that you can’t live without?

Attachments

• IMG_0113 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0113 Copy.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 150
My G3X Touch EIS display was already showing me everything I wanted, but this software update allows me to fit one or two more non-critical parameters, which is a bonus. Of course every monitored parameter is always available on the Engine page (accessible via a single touch) and will produce a CAS alert if properly configured.

As for the log file, if my favorite website was not showing information that is in the file - and engine and airframe time values definitely are - then I would complain to the proprietors of that website rather than continuing to rant about it here.

I am confused.

electrical - volts or amps, based upon your preferred approach. Also, Fuel Remaining (in numerals). I have to waste one of the precious 4 data fields just to know how much fuel I have left. What is the point of a fuel totalizer if I have to keep page switching to see the data. My GRT finds a way to show me all of the CHT and EGT values without taking up any more space than garmin. The pretty dials are just wasted space with no value. While the EGT CHT graph is nice, it is not needed. What is needed is the DATA. I would much prefer to see all four pieces of data on the screen even if that sacrifices the pretty graph. Highest EGT is nice and want that as it is what I use for leaning, but prefer to watch delta's and trends at all times and page switching is just not an option for that approach.

Last edited:
electrical - volts or amps, based upon your preferred approach. Also, Fuel Remaining (in numerals). I have to waste one of the precious 4 data fields just to know how much fuel I have left. What is the point of a fuel totalizer if I have to keep page switching to see the data. My GRT finds a way to show me all of the CHT and EGT values without taking up any more space than garmin. The pretty dials are just wasted space with no value. While the EGT CHT graph is nice, it is not needed. What is needed is the DATA. I would much prefer to see all four pieces of data on the screen even if that sacrifices the pretty graph. Highest EGT is nice and want that as it is what I use for leaning, but prefer to watch delta's and trends at all times and page switching is just not an option for that approach.

Just like anything else, it’s all about opinions.

I have my egt and cht values programmed with alerts; if they exceed set value by a little, I get a caution, a lot a warning and audible alert. If an alert occurs, I check the page. After two hundred plus hours looking at the data logs, the trends and deltas are known and stable; no need to watch them every second.

I have to somewhat agree on the MAP and RPM gauge; I don’t really need to see the full gauge and it takes up space that other things could occupy.

I have to somewhat agree on the MAP and RPM gauge; I don’t really need to see the full gauge and it takes up space that other things could occupy.

With this update, MAP can be set to display the value only. On mine, it's a single row with "MAN IN 28.5" for example. It will be color-coded and, if needed, flashing based on the programmable ranges/alerts.

This update gives me more than enough room to show everything I need, and some that I arguably don't, on the strip display.

All are single-line, value-only unless noted:
- RPM & % Power (big gauge)
- MAN IN
- OIL PSI
- OIL temp (color-coded bar)
- FUEL GAL (2 tanks, one line)
- FUEL GPM
- FUEL PSI
- VOLTS (2 values for main & engine bus, both on the same line)
- ALT AMPS
- CO PPM
- DEWPOINT F
- AFR (color-coded bar)
- CHT/EGT chart

G3X_EIS_Strip.jpg

I don't understand why people want to complain loudly & repeatedly about things they've never worked with hands-on.

With this update, MAP can be set to display the value only. On mine, it's a single row with "MAN IN 28.5" for example. It will be color-coded and, if needed, flashing based on the programmable ranges/alerts.

This update gives me more than enough room to show everything I need, and some that I arguably don't, on the strip display.

All are single-line, value-only unless noted:
- RPM & % Power (big gauge)
- MAN IN
- OIL PSI
- OIL temp (color-coded bar)
- FUEL GAL (2 tanks, one line)
- FUEL GPM
- FUEL PSI
- VOLTS (2 values for main & engine bus, both on the same line)
- ALT AMPS
- CO PPM
- DEWPOINT F
- AFR (color-coded bar)
- CHT/EGT chart

G3X_EIS_Strip.jpg

I don't understand why people want to complain loudly & repeatedly about things they've never worked with hands-on.

Nice!

I look forward to playing with the new features when my airplane comes back from the paint shop…

I am confused.

Oh let me see here, how about fuel remaining? Fuel remaining is more useful than the useless fuel gauges. I had to put the fuel remaining (REM) on the data fields at the top of the screen which takes up a slot for another Nav parameter for me to display. I had to hide the carb temp in order to show the gph. No room for any electrical info. Shall I continue? But if you only fly 50-60 miles from your airport you don’t really need much

But I’m glad to see you can convert the MP and RPM gauges to a numeric line, thanks Rocketman!

Last edited:
My G3X Touch EIS display was already showing me everything I wanted, but this software update allows me to fit one or two more non-critical parameters, which is a bonus. Of course every monitored parameter is always available on the Engine page (accessible via a single touch) and will produce a CAS alert if properly configured.

As for the log file, if my favorite website was not showing information that is in the file - and engine and airframe time values definitely are - then I would complain to the proprietors of that website rather than continuing to rant about it here.

What are you going to complain to Savvy about, that the G3X doesn’t include hobbs n Tach time in their logged data? It’s not a savvy problem it’s a Garmin problem. Now if Savvy was unable to graph any of the G3X parameters then you would have a point but Garmin only captures the hobbs n Tach once at the beginning. Again there is no reason for Garmin not to include those two parameters with the rest of every other parameter. I think I have a valid point and Garmin can’t deny that. They are ignoring it but can’t deny it. Again it would take less than five minutes for them to go into the software and include those two parameters.

Thanks ir172, glad to know I’m not the only one who realizes the lack of info flexibility

Oh let me see here, how about fuel remaining? Fuel remaining is more useful than the useless fuel gauges. I had to put the fuel remaining (REM) on the data fields at the top of the screen which takes up a slot for another Nav parameter for me to display. I had to hide the carb temp in order to show the gph. No room for any electrical info. Shall I continue? But if you only fly 50-60 miles from your airport you don’t really need much

All of that info is one touch away. I prefer clean and uncluttered vs too complex of a layout but that is just me. It has been well proven in many industries and studies that less is more when it comes to human machine interfaces.

By the way, I fly further than 50-60 miles from my airport. Nice flex though! :cool:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?msa=0&ll=35.722972419436026%2C-94.75498585536599&spn=28.709898%2C67.631836&mid=1YVKA9D4NjKjMK23iRod22aURsng&z=6

Last edited:
Again it would take less than five minutes for them to go into the software and include those two parameters.

Sounds like my old boss, everything was a "5 minute job"! :D (engine change needed.. no problem thats a 5min job)
Pretty sure you lose some credibility with statements like this.

Last edited:
Sounds like my old boss, everything was a "5 minute job"! :D (engine change needed.. no problem thats a 5min job)
Pretty sure you lose some credibility with statements like this.

Yep, I hear you and agree, I’m always off by a multiplier of 5 :D however I written s/w and in this case the parameters are already there. The subroutine has a list of parameters and all that’s needed is to simply add the names of those 2 parameters. That’s pretty much it. It would take longer to find the subroutine.

Changing an engine would definitely be longer, I’d say 10 min :D

It’s only a 5min job for savvy as well then.
The data’s at the start of every file.
Out of curiosity how exactly do you want to see the data?
Another column that starts at whatever the starting Hobbs is, and increments every second?
I’m struggling to see the actual use case.

It’s only a 5min job for savvy as well then.
The data’s at the start of every file.
Out of curiosity how exactly do you want to see the data?
Another column that starts at whatever the starting Hobbs is, and increments every second?
I’m struggling to see the actual use case.

I don’t think you understand the problem. Garmin is not putting the hobbs n Tach time in with the first set of data for savvy to obtain it. For savvy to do something special for Garmin when everyone else outputs their data the same way, including Garmin except for those two parameters is unreasonable and is not a 5 min job for Savvy. Unless you’ve programmed and truly understand it, you should ask more questions to try to understand

The use case: what if you want to go back 8 months ago to a flight to see what the hobb or Tach time was. Now you have to search for the flight in the logs and open it in excel when there is no reason if Garmin would conform to the standard. Is it a big deal? No, but it’s inconvenient

The question you should be asking Garmin is why they refuse to include hobbs n Tach in with the rest of the dozens of other parameters.

Last edited:
Minimized Option for Comm/Nav radio

Hi There,

Has anyone had a play with the new minimized option for the radio controls?

“Added Minimized Option for COM Radio Controls - This allows COM radio remote controls to be condensed into a single databar field, providing more space on the display for data fields or other remote LRU controls.”

I like the current ability to tap on the frequencies to either swap the active frequency or tap on the standby frequency to edit it. I also like the idea of freeing up space on the data bar.

The revised Pilots Guide (Revision V) does not mention how the new Minimized button functions and the Installation Manual (Revision AS) only describes how to enable the new feature.

So what actually happens when you tap on the radio button when it is in minimized setting?

I am hoping in minimized you can still swap the active/standby frequency and still edit from the one button (such as a tap/double tap??)

Wont get the opportunity to do the software update and have a play with the new feature for a couple of weeks so hoping someone has already had a play with it and can describe how it works please!

One COMM Radio NOT minimized (so Maximized?):
IMG_4424.jpeg

One COMM Radio and second NAV radio Minimized:
IMG_4423.jpeg

Unless you’ve programmed and truly understand it, you should ask more questions to try to understand

The use case: what if you want to go back 8 months ago to a flight to see what the hobb or Tach time was. Now you have to search for the flight in the logs and open it in excel when there is no reason if Garmin would conform to the standard. Is it a big deal? No, but it’s inconvenient

The question you should be asking Garmin is why they refuse to include hobbs n Tach in with the rest of the dozens of other parameters.

Right… best not make assumptions about people’s skills.
That’s what I did. Ask the question.
Now I understand a little better.
I don’t need to ask Garmin anything. It’s not an issue for me and the way I operate my aircraft.
Maybe start another thread on it so we can focus on the actual improvements made here.

It brings up the normal radio-tuning page, from which you can press the "XFER" button.

Thanks Matt,

So its either gain an extra data bar space and live with an extra tap to swap the active frequency.

I guess the other info you lose in minimized mode is the text description for the radio frequency underneath.

Last edited:
So its either gain an extra data bar space and live with an extra tap to swap the active frequency.

I guess the other info you lose in minimized mode is the text description for the radio frequency underneath.

Yes. You can select this option per radio, so I chose to minimize the NAV1 display but keep COM1 & 2 both maximized.

Yes. You can select this option per radio, so I chose to minimize the NAV1 display but keep COM1 & 2 both maximized.

I "Hide" anything that is redundant, usually Com/Nav if it's displayed on the radio itself. Displaying it twice eats up valuable real estate.

Of course everyone has their preferences. I fly behind a Garmin G3X Touch and also Dynon HDX. I have to say for me personally, Dynon's approach to providing as much data on the screen as they can fit is just overwhelming and very cluttered. I'm the guy who everyone at the airport makes fun of because I'm the techy and loves all the "wizbang" stuff (as they put it), and honestly it's even too much for me. I'm with Brentel (Brian)... Garmin seems to provide the right amount of information that is needed or it's basically one touch away and not cluttered. HDX has a beautiful screen but information overload so I find myself turning things "off" to get close to a Garmin layout. To each their own I guess.
Being in the hardware and software industry for the past 30 years, I'm actually really surprised by Garmin's ability to continue manufacturing hardware (basically computers) that is lasting many years past what I was expecting. The G3X Touch has been around since 2014 and they are still to this day providing updates to it. In my opinion, that's pretty dang good. How many of us still have computers from 2014? Think about the thousands of GNS 430 users that are just now in the past few years replacing their GPS (and still many use them), after 25 years of being on the market. I know a lot of people badmouth Garmin but I have to tell ya, they're doing something right.
Keep at it guys!

Last edited:
Thanks Matt,

Or you could use a dedicated disrete in push button for the freq flip.

Just like anything else, it’s all about opinions.

I have my egt and cht values programmed with alerts; if they exceed set value by a little, I get a caution, a lot a warning and audible alert. If an alert occurs, I check the page. After two hundred plus hours looking at the data logs, the trends and deltas are known and stable; no need to watch them every second.

Yes, we all approach this differently. You look back at logs for trends and I prefer to look for trends as I fly. No debate on which approach is better. Just that we all want different things. I can tell you that I have caught several issues in flight that I was able to diagnose before landing just through observing CHT / EGT data.

It has been well proven in many industries and studies that less is more when it comes to human machine interfaces.

Sorry, but that is related to the extremes. Can't think of any industry that follows that and chooses to provide NO data. It just proves that there is a happy medium somewhere between too little and too much. Just look at the %age of GA accidents that are caused by fuel exhaustion and then tell me that knowing the remaining fuel data is considered too much data for the pilot to handle.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that is related to the extremes. Can't think of any industry that follows that and chooses to provide NO data. It just proves that there is a happy medium somewhere between too little and too much. Just look at the %age of GA accidents that are caused by fuel exhaustion and then tell me that knowing the remaining fuel data is considered too much data for the pilot to handle.

Nobody is advocating NO data. The cliché I used is typically focused on the extreme overload. I agree with you, the optimal amount of data is somewhere in the middle and the midline varies with different folks. There is no such thing as one size fits all in this discussion but compromises can be made to target the mean of almost any group of people. However, some people will fall outside the bell curve and those folks may never be happy with what is being made available.

If you look across the board of EFIS's on the market today, you will see examples of both ends of the spectrum. That's the beauty of competition and the freedom to chose what we like and what is the best fit for us as individuals.

Back