What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ-OOPS Rivets for Fuel Tank Repairs

HFS

Well Known Member
I haven't had occasion to need these (yet), but Paul Dye's article in KP got me thinking about how to make a direct "drop in" Pop sealed end blind rivet to assist in this dreaded repair.

What I came up with was a combination of a little lathe work + cold working the remaining head into a -3 AN (100* angle) flat head. So it now becomes an "Oops" rivet: -4 body with a -3 flat head.

On my (old - 1981) -4 plans, before the rear baffle was turned around (allowing bucked rivets instead of sealed blind rivets), the callout was for Pop AD41H (universal head) for the rear tank baffle to rib flange & tank skin to rib joint would logically be AK41H (flat head). For the rear baffle to skin joint, the callout was for Pop AK42H, because the combined skin thicknesses warranted it.

I made a "die" set for the cold re-work of the head on these Pop sealed end rivets,
and have made enough of them to send "samples" out around the country for evaluation.

I have also undertaken pull-to-failure shear tests for these modified rivets to see how they compare to the design allowance of AN426AD3-3/3.5 rivets in shear, with .032 dimpled skins. That number is 217 lbs. All my coupons failed above that number - so probably not much joint strength compromise in using one or two of them for leak repair.

An "immersion" test is, and will be, an ongoing device moving forward to validate the use of these rivets for "weeping" rivet syndrome.

While I was at it, I also began to modify open ended Avex blind rivets to be replacements for the "smoking" rivet, whose replacement resists bucked rivets.

If anyone has need for either of these styles of modified rivets (only where there is really a need), I'd be glad to send one or two out, if doing so would help in those "testy" repairs.

Just PM me if you (really) need one.

Thx - HFS

Attachments

• “Oops” Rivet Die Set.jpg
    “Oops” Rivet Die Set.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 1:8” “Oops” Rivet - Front Side.jpg
    1:8” “Oops” Rivet - Front Side.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 1:8” “Oops” Rivet - Back Side.jpg
    1:8” “Oops” Rivet - Back Side.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 240
  • EZ-OOPS Avex Open Ended.jpg
    EZ-OOPS Avex Open Ended.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Really neat stuff! Almost makes me want to have another weeping rivet just to use one of your modified ones….

HFS (David Howe) is a master at coming up with useful, well-thought ideas to assist in problem areas. Not only that, he tests and documents what he does. I would try one of these on my aircraft if needed.

It is worth your time to go back and read his other posts.

Another shout out, David has helped me (Team Rocket/Frazier Aviation Products) and Blake (Flyboy Accessories) many times. I let Blake handle the "new" products and he features these products from David's ideas on his site:

EZ-packer wheel bearing packer for EZ packing of your wheel bearings

Bulkhead pass thru fittings to allow EZ changes in direction for your fluid lines

There are others in the queue, but Blake is a very busy guy right now... more later!!!

Last edited:
Ah shucks! I never thought to post this kind of coolness.
A couple years ago, I made one of these rivets by chucking one in to a drill, and with it running applied a file to the underside to make it a countersunk rivet.
I used it in the bottom of my RV-6A tank that had a loose rivet.
Works great, Well at least it doesn't leak and it fixed the loose rivet problem.
My luck varies Art

EZ stuff

I have several of David's gadgets. EZ-Cowl is tops but I use that EZ-Clamp thingamabob every day. It makes quick work of one or more Adel clamps.
He's definitely got some cool stuff.

And most importantly, ask him for some homemade peanut brittle with your order, best brittle I've ever had! :D

What if we just drilled the leaky rivet out, smothered a new solid rivet with pro seal and stuck it in the hole until the proseal cured. Am I out of my mind?

Plus one for the EZ-Clamp

I have several of David's gadgets. EZ-Cowl is tops but I use that EZ-Clamp thingamabob every day. It makes quick work of one or more Adel clamps.
He's definitely got some cool stuff.

David was kind enough to send me one of his EZ Clamps and have used it extensively during my 14A FWF assembly. Highly recommend!

Vince - you should be carrying this great little tool!

What if we just drilled the leaky rivet out, smothered a new solid rivet with pro seal and stuck it in the hole until the proseal cured. Am I out of my mind?

Once you’ve safed the tank and drilled the old one out, you’ve done 90% of the work, so why not pull one of these and have a known permanent solution?

David was kind enough to send me one of his EZ Clamps and have used it extensively during my 14A FWF assembly. Highly recommend!

Vince - you should be carrying this great little tool!

Blake has some of those and intends to get them up on his store.

Flat Head "Pop" AH41/42H Rivets

If you need these rivets (unmodified) for "weeping" fuel tank repairs - Hansen Rivet & Supply Co. has them in small quantities.

Hansen Rivet & Supply Co.
13241 Weider St.
Pacoima, CA. 91331

1 (818) 485-0500

HFS

Back