What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This thing called life

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Temperatures hit 85-90 in the Twin Cities this week. Yahtzee! I've put off canopy/window work since late last fall and I was at the point where nothing else could proceed. So we drilled the rear window and I've been prepping it up with standing etc the last day or so.

I'd hoped this summer would allow me to get the canopy done and have first engine start, but, alas, other plans have surfaced.
My older sister (70) has leukemia and is getting a bone marrow transplant at Dana Farber in Boston. So I'll be moving back to Massachusetts for three months to take care of her.

The plane will just have to wait until next summer.

window.jpg

350534399_1640525506427558_7594688451255873490_n.jpg

Last edited:
Taking care of what matters....

Family first. Surprisingly a lot do not step up. I know from personal experience.

Yep! Exactly! Family comes first! The airplane will be there when you get back. Then you can give your healed Sister a ride! Sending healing energy!

I’m in the same boat. So close to finishing I can taste it. But I have been taking care of my 95 year old mom for last 3 months. She fell and broke her hip and pelvis. Hope she gets stronger soon. But the plane can wait it’s turn.

RD

Hi Bob,
I'm based at KPYM, just south of Boston. I'll send you a PM with my contact information. I would welcome the opportunity to meet up. We can hangar fly or maybe even do the real thing.
Cheers,
Mike

Family first. Surprisingly a lot do not step up. I know from personal experience.

It can be more than just not "stepping up". Sometimes families grow apart for other reasons. I'm envious of such a close relationship between siblings. Good on you Bob!

-Marc

Bob,

Best to your sister - you are a good man, but we knew this long before this latest chapter........

Update: I've made it to Brookline. I also got all of the canopy drilling work done before leaving Minnesota. The holes in the rear bow frame don't accommodate a #6 screw well but I'll figure that out when I get home in a few months.

Sis is coming along. We were able to get out to the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain today for a very short walk. She's quite weak, of course, from her stem cell transplant. So far, no sign of rejection.

I should've left the nice Van's shirt home. It got beaten up by all the spray bleach I have to use on things when I clean here (stem cell transplantees have ZERO immunity).

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_181834597.jpg
    PXL_20230820_181834597.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
Having gone through the same scary situation like that for the last 7 months, after both of my parents had cancer, at least I got good news last month but I know the feeling of having or not having someone to go through it with. You're doing the right thing and I hope your sister continues to do better.

Sis is coming along. We were able to get out to the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain today for a very short walk. She's quite weak, of course, from her stem cell transplant. So far, no sign of rejection.

I should've left the nice Van's shirt home. It got beaten up by all the spray bleach I have to use on things when I clean here (stem cell transplantees have ZERO immunity).

Sheesh, don't worry about the Vans shirt. I'll have a couple of shirts sent to you if you just PM me your address.

I'm going through something similar with my wife who was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in May. It's a change for sure when the neutrophils and white blood cells drop so low that infection is a real possibility. I learned a whole new vocabulary starting with Rituximab (Rituxan) and Bendamustine (Treanda) You got this.

-Marc

Back