What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle bolts interfering with bearing

thiggins

Well Known Member
Has anyone else noticed the axle bolts hitting the backside of the inner main wheel bearings ?

Is it ok to flip the bolt around and put the head on the bearing side?

Should we just add washers under the head?

It looks like an AN4-16 bolt used to be specified and now the plans specify an AN4-17, which interferes!?

:confused:

Attachments

• 9EABF8E3-F71D-44FC-AE98-B3F0CF2A263B.jpg
    9EABF8E3-F71D-44FC-AE98-B3F0CF2A263B.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Even the original bolt was a bit too long if you did not install the bracket for use with the wheel pants installation. That is why the 2 washer were designate. If the bracket was being installed you would just delete the 2 washers.

I don't know why the bolt length was changed, but if you reverse the orientation of the bolts they would have to be switch back if you ever decide to install wheel pants (If you already are planning to, then look at that section and install the brackets now... that will likely resolve your bolt length problem).

Even the original bolt was a bit too long if you did not install the bracket for use with the wheel pants installation. That is why the 2 washer were designate. If the bracket was being installed you would just delete the 2 washers.

I don't know why the bolt length was changed, but if you reverse the orientation of the bolts they would have to be switch back if you ever decide to install wheel pants (If you already are planning to, then look at that section and install the brackets now... that will likely resolve your bolt length problem).

I did go ahead and install the pant brackets, but I still needed to add a washer under the bolt heads to prevent the interference. The bracket is the same thickness as the two washers, evidently, so it alone doesn’t fix the issue. I’ll just use a single washer along with the brackets.

Back