What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime firewall forward mating surfaces?

rjm727

Well Known Member
I mounted the battery box without priming the mating surfaces and I am now wondering if I need to remove it and prime them? Also, there is no callout to prime the vent boxes where they attach (nor does it say to proseal them).

I know there is less hand-holding at this point but more consistency in the directions would be helpful in reducing the “pondering” time…maybe that is calculated into the 51% rule ;-)

Do I need to remove the batt box and prime the mating surfaces??? I have painstakingly AKZO primed the whole airplane but I don’t like the idea of something in front of the firewall that can “soften” with heat and put out fumes. Thoughts?

I primed everything just because...

But considering this is in the engine compartment and one of the mating surface is a stainless steel, if it was me, I would leave it as it is.

So you would leave it not primed? The only reason I am second guessing myself is the dissimilar metals.

FWF

No primer on either side of my firewalll.
My battery box is powder coated. Firewall is stainless and covered with fiberfrax and titanium. No primer on those. The oil cooler mount is aluminum and it is primed with P60G2. It's in contact with the titanium. Stainless heater box is also bare in contact with the titanium.
All other aluminum FWF is treated some how. Some alodined, some powder coated. Baffles, etc.
Here's a tricky ricky. The feet of the engine mount are touching the bare stainless firewall. Oh my!

Back