What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 muffler pipe loose

LanceH

I'm New Here
During preflight I was checking security of the muffler/exhaust pipe and it had some play, around 3/4".
It had been about 6 weeks since I'd done a preflight and I couldn't remember if there was typically any play, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
The POH says "CHECK condition, security of attachment".
My partner said that last time he flew, his clothes had a lot of exhaust smell, which he hadn't noticed before.
The CO detector (Sporty's "dot" version) looks OK.
Any reason for concern? Thanks.

For me when I do preflight if my exhaust pipe wiggled I would suspect a broken spring. I’ve not experienced this yet but another RV12 builder/ pilot told me he’d had a broken spring. He said he’d discovered it during preflight when the exhaust pipe wiggled so I keep checking.

If I found any looseness in my RV-12's exhaust stack I would definitely not fly the plane and would investigate the cause. There should be no looseness in the stack. It is possible that one or more of the springs is broken, disconnected, or just plain tired. I suspect that the failure of only one spring would not result in noticeable looseness since there are seven other springs still attached. Also inspect the pipes and muffler for any cracks or failures. Look for cracks around the muffler/outlet pipe interface.

Back