What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro cockpit camera mount

jsisk

Looking for ideas for mounting my GoPro 10 camera to capture "over the pilot's shoulder" view from the cockpit.

After a bunch of experimenting, this is what I ended up with on my -7A tip-up. It might or might not be doable with your -14, not sure how much of the kit we share:

I used a couple of those GoPro swivel attachments to bring the camera forward so the tip-up handle isn't so prominent in the shot. The mount is attached to the -7's center F-732A channel using one of these 1/4" male to male adapters:

You can see a shot I took before attaching the canopy:

Since I sikaflex'ed my canopy, this hardware is totally inaccessible after the canopy bonds, so I used a lock washer and red loctite on the nut that attaches it to the channel.

Then I thread this 3 inch shaft into that (now immovable) 1/4" stud. I tried a 6 inch shaft but didn't like the camera angle.

Finally, I've attached a still frame from the resulting view.

Attachments

• n12vd_camera_view.jpg
    n12vd_camera_view.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 58
For this view I've placed a standard stick-on GP mount to the forward face of the canopy roll-over frame. The camera sits high, so that when its in place there is only just a little clearance between the camera and the perspex. It is also off-centre to the right by a couple of inches as I found this provides a better view when solo and doesn't make too much difference to the shot when you have a passenger. The wide angle of the camera takes care of the off-set and you don't notice it.

This photo shows the location - excuse the cheesy grins - this was taken on my wife's first flight in the aircraft.

If anyone wants to see a video taken from this position send me a PM and I can flick you a link.

Attachments

• 20220910_103940_resized.jpg
    20220910_103940_resized.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back