What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Oil Pres. sender to firewall kit

bobg56

Well Known Member
I want to relocate my OP sender to firewall, I'm getting erratic readings from the engine vibration...is there a kit for this?...thanks

No engine vib problems, carbs are in sync and prop balanced to .05....installing on firewall will fix problem of fluctuation ...my next question, is the engine threads metric or pipe? The old sender I have seems like 1/8 pipe thread but the kit is either for metric or pipe...

The 912s had both versions, the NPT threaded version was for the older engines, the newer ones have metric straight threads.

Tom

Pressure regulator

I want to relocate my OP sender to firewall, I'm getting erratic readings from the engine vibration...is there a kit for this?...thanks

The erratic readings may be caused by a worn (VDO) oil sender and fluctuating oil pressure from the oil pressure regulator if it is the older ball type. The newer mushroom style pressure regulator will give steadier pressure including for a remotely mounted sender.

Was the VDO sensor ever used on the R-12 for oil pressure? My VDO fuel pressure sensor has hung in there for almost 10 years and 1100 hours. I had one Honeywell oil P sensor go bad and replaced it. Then the indication went erratic, so I replaced again only to find out it was a bad connection causing the erratic indication.

When you say older engines, how old? My -12 is a 2010 model so the engine is about the same age I'm assuming. The current OP sender is a Honeywell type, would that be the pipe threaded style? I'll take it to my hardware store and see if it threads into a 1/8 pipe fitting I guess that would be my next thing to try...don't want to strip out any threads on the engine ...

WAG i'd say it was NPT. Easy to tell---see tif the threads are tapered, or straight. Straight thread metric would use a crush washer as the sealing point.
Tapered threads seal themselves---with your favorite sealing compound.

Tom

Back