What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UK RV-6 Aerobatics Approval

Towline

We've just had aerobatics approval through for our RV-6 from the UK LAA. As I couldn't find a lot online to help in the process, I've condensed our experience into a short blog article here that others may hopefully find useful.

The process has seemed fairly straight forward despite looking quite arduous to this pair of amateurs.

We're non-inverted and I've been told to avoid vertical rolls as they can empty a lot of oil, also stall turns will use around half a quart.

Any advice on -6 aerobatics would be great.

6 aeros are nearly....nearly as good as 7 aeros without the engine stopping issues unless you have injection.

A carb just limits you to upline time and any slight negative stuff that injection just doesn't care about.

Oily belly can be avoided with an Andair interceptor.

If you consider an RV as a machine to do aeros for you and your passenger rather than for the outside observer, you will have loads of fun.

In the rarefied UK air of LAA LAA land, 2 up aeros in an RV6 needs careful consideration due weight but it can be done.

So, within the design spec, you can now venture into eggy loops, ballistic rolls, short, non vertical stall turn (hammerheads for the Colonials) and any amount of combinations of the above.

Find someone who knows RV's, who can do pleasant low G aeros and who isn't wishing to inflate their ego and you will be rewarded with good tuition.

;)

Thanks for the info chaps.

I have plenty of hours aerobating the Citabria and my last aeros flight was an RV-7 (had so much fun that I made myself sick).

The Citabria really is the opposite end of the spectrum; diving at full throttle 15deg nose down to reach 140mph :D

We've been told about the Half Raven system but I will investigate the Andair unit as well. We've already got quite a bit of their kit installed.

6 aeros are nearly....nearly as good as 7 aeros without the engine stopping issues unless you have injection.

Personal opinion I guess........

I think the RV-6 is better.

It typically has a lower empty weight (better power to weight ratio).
Lighter ailerons.
A little bit more nimble feeling.

Not sure what you mean by engine stoppage issue. There is nothing particular about either the 6 or 7 that would make either one more likely to have an engine stoppage. It is totally related to G loading and what fuel system is installed.

It is a product of you designing aeroplanes with such good performance ability Scott ;)

I agree that the feel of the 6 is more nimble than the 7, there isn't the aileron bumping on the 6 and it is crisper in roll and pitch. The 7 with injection and a C/S prop just makes aeros much more fluid and to me, more enjoyable. I do and demonstrate aeros for us - the occupants, not for an observer, so the most important thing is smoothness, reduction of G where possible and a pleasing experience.

When you have the performance in hand to do uplines of 1500' and more, with fuel injection, it really doesn't matter as you have fuel all the way. The poor old carburetted motor runs a little dry at the top and I have had 1 stoppage and a couple of hiccups. Not an issue, you modify your programme accordingly.

We understand that the 14 we have in build will be a little softer - that won't matter to us. If I want to do competition stuff, I would get a more appropriate aeroplane, what we have is just spot on for our requirements :D

It is a product of you designing aeroplanes with such good performance ability Scott ;)

I agree that the feel of the 6 is more nimble than the 7, there isn't the aileron bumping on the 6 and it is crisper in roll and pitch. The 7 with injection and a C/S prop just makes aeros much more fluid and to me, more enjoyable. I do and demonstrate aeros for us - the occupants, not for an observer, so the most important thing is smoothness, reduction of G where possible and a pleasing experience.

When you have the performance in hand to do uplines of 1500' and more, with fuel injection, it really doesn't matter as you have fuel all the way. The poor old carburetted motor runs a little dry at the top and I have had 1 stoppage and a couple of hiccups. Not an issue, you modify your programme accordingly.

We understand that the 14 we have in build will be a little softer - that won't matter to us. If I want to do competition stuff, I would get a more appropriate aeroplane, what we have is just spot on for our requirements :D

Ok, that clarifies your post a bit, but it still doesn't correctly differentiate between aero in an RV-6 vs RV-7 because RV-6's can have constant speed props and fuel injection.

Very true......

Just rarely see them over here.

I am comparing apples and pears which is unfair, however I was merely pointing out that a fixed pitch, carburetted 6 has limitations that can easily be accommodated.

Similar words, different language as well......

It's still your guys fault for designing such good aeroplanes :p

Back