What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A visit to Boyceville

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
IMAG0517.jpg

I think more than anything else, the best part about flying is picking out a rural airport on the sectional map, and then flying there just to see who's there. So this evening I flew to Boyceville, WI., (3T3) about 45 air miles from South St. Paul. It was a beautiful evening for a flight, and I picked up Mpls Approach on the way to help navigate around parachutists in Baldwin.

When I got to the point where I could see the runway, I didn't much hope for any great discovery. No terminal, no taxiway, everything quiet like western Wisconsin tends to be when the sun is going down.

But looks are deceiving, especially when there's someone in an airplane heading for the same spot you are.

More on the blog.

A great airport

I learned to fly at Boyceville. There used to be a great FBO/flying club there run by Dick Aukema, who used to run a great FBO at Troutdale, OR years before. Dick had a small fleet of 150's, a Cherokee 140 and Sundowner. He did all the instruction himself. The new runway was put in 15-20 years ago, the old runway used to run almost perpendicular to the taxiway that is still there in front of the hangars, parallel to the hillside.

One of my favorite memories right before my private pilot check ride is when I was asked to demonstrate a short field landing on that taxiway in front of the hangars, which was about 1,000 feet in length. It was a great confidence booster to drop 40 degrees of flaps in the 150 and plunk on in!

My brother owns the hangar next to the gentleman you met, he has a 150 there too and primarily uses it to give rides to his 3 boys. And, now my son and I fly commercially to Minneapolis each year and pick up my brother's 150 and fly it into Oshkosh for the annual fly-in.

Airports like this are what makes flying in the good ol' USA so great. Thanks for sharing!

oo7KWnrl.jpg

Great little airport, but watch out for deer! I was lucky I was practicing a short field landing when a herd decided to wander across the runway...

They also had a tractor pull right next to the airport last fall. It was fun to see a bunch of kids turn around from watching tractors to wave and watch me take off!

Great Writing

Bob,

I have to purposefully pull myself away from your writing. Thanks for all of your articles and insights!

Best regards,
Michael

I think more than anything else, the best part about flying is picking out a rural airport on the sectional map, and then flying there just to see who's there.[/QUOTE]
I spent a couple months a few years ago hitting every rural airport within 90 minutes RV time from my home base. They are all Interesting place with all different stories. Thanks for sharing.

Back