What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lifting for service bulletin

rvdave

Well Known Member
I borrowed an engine hoist for lifting since I don't have a way of pulling the tail down to perform the nose wheel service bulletin. I'm not sure what the best way is to attach straps to the hook to lift the airframe. Should I use all four corner bolt locations or wrap around angles of engine mount? Should I lift from prop hub? Surely not engine lifting hook points at top of engine! Haven't seen info on this but maybe I missed it.

Use tie down straps wrapped around the top of the engine mounts on each side. Use a hoist in front of the engine with the lift arm extending over the engine connected at the end to the straps.

Carl

By -the top of the engine mounts- are you referring to where the engine meets the mounts, at the engine ears/mount location? Or the firewall bolts?

I generally use the engine lift points. If the engine doesn't have them, I put a strap around the prop hub. Make sure the spinner doesn't hit the hoist in any case.

By -the top of the engine mounts- are you referring to where the engine meets the mounts, at the engine ears/mount location? Or the firewall bolts?

Wrap the strap around the engine mount weldment (the steel tubing). It is already holding the weight of the engine so it will still hold it when you lift.

Carl

Yes. Use the engine mount weldment itself. I have 2" web strap similar to seat belt webbing that I use. Make at least 2 or 3 loops.

Lifting by the engine itself will work, but there's no need to put that extra stress on the "Lord" mounts.

I borrowed an engine hoist for lifting since I don't have a way of pulling the tail down to perform the nose wheel service bulletin. I'm not sure what the best way is to attach straps to the hook to lift the airframe. Should I use all four corner bolt locations or wrap around angles of engine mount? Should I lift from prop hub? Surely not engine lifting hook points at top of engine! Haven't seen info on this but maybe I missed it.

Here's a way without a lift......

FP25032012A00055.jpg

This is just a few concrete blocks, 3/4" plywood bolted to a four wheel dolly. You can use a ratcheting tie down, or have somebody hold the tail down a bit while you adjust the tie down. It works quite well.....

Personally I prefer to add some weight to the tail (a few cases of oil on the HS works well) then add some weight to the tie down ring and the nose will pop off the ground.
It may be ok but I'm just not sure the motor mount was designed for that type of load.

Here is how I do it.

Drilled a hole in the hangar floor under the tail tiedown ring, used an expansion anchor and lag bolt. Short piece of chain so the strap hook can fit into a link.

P5240057.jpg

Then, a ratchet strap.

P5150053.jpg

Result??

P5150052.jpg

Engine hoist??

Adding weight to the tail surface is sooooo much easier than fooling with an engine hoist.
Just like Walt said.

I use a hoist like that a lot. Your nose weight on the ten is less than the engine weight, so the lift rings are fine. In fact the further forward you grab, the less weight you are lifting. I sometimes just sling a soft rope around the blades with a couple bowlines. No big deal. Plus, the hoist lets you pump up and down while you're stacking the parts.

Ended up using both weight on horizontal stab and hoist for safety. 3 fifty pound bags was just right to only require a small lift at engine mount. Worked real nice and performed service bulletin with no problem, thanks to all.

Here's a way without a lift......

FP25032012A00055.jpg

This is just a few concrete blocks, 3/4" plywood bolted to a four wheel dolly. You can use a ratcheting tie down, or have somebody hold the tail down a bit while you adjust the tie down. It works quite well.....

don't you think that there is too much stress on the tail and its structures if you are pulling it down like this :cool: ?

thanks
Pit

don't you think that there is too much stress on the tail and its structures if you are pulling it down like this :cool: ?

thanks
Pit

In flight, the downward aerodynamic forces on the tail are at least as great as the static force applied here, I would think.

Oooooh! Expansion anchor and lag bolt - never had good luck with those to the point I'd trust 'em for holding down the tail. I'd be tempted to use an epoxy or non-shrink grout.

That opinion being said, I am the first admit my fear may be unreasonable.:D

The whole aircraft is pulled by the engine in flight. That load is transferred through the lord mounts. Lifting on the engine itself won't hurt the lord mounts, that's what they are there for.

Back