What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak pin outs

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone know what DT/PP refer to on the Alt Trak wiring diagram?
Also, any reason not to use AN locking hardware to mount the servo bracket to the airframe, rather than rivets?

It means DigiTrak or Pictorial Pilot. You can prevent the Altrak from turning on if the other unit isn't on first.

You can hold the bracket on with locking hardware other than rivets. Screws and nuts or bolts and nuts should be fine.

Jesse, Thanks for that explanation. I won't run anything external to the Alt Trak, so those wires will be unterminated.
The servo in this thing sure is NOISY !

Altrak

Jesse, Thanks for that explanation. I won't run anything external to the Alt Trak, so those wires will be unterminated.
The servo in this thing sure is NOISY !

I have one and i have never heard it make. Sound. Course i only engage it in the air.

unhealthy obsession

Compared to most roll servos I have held in my hand... this one seems much heavier. It is a stepper as well... and seems louder than I would have expected. That is on the bench only, so I don't expect it will be much of a factor when installed. The unloaded resistance is high too.... but I have read on various threads here that when installed, the load on the stick is not objectionable. The irony here is that the RV, when trimmed properly... pretty much stays where you left it. But, I just love installing stuff. It's a sickness I think.

They do have different strength servos. If you have a fish scale, hook it to he arm and see how many pounds it takes to move it. Then check with Lucas to see if that's correct for the model you have. The only time I get a sound from he servo or it's hard to turn by hand is when the servo goes bad. Did you buy the setup new or was it used?

Jesse, is the pull test valid only when the servo is powered? I think the pitch servo would not move unless you applied enough force to shear it.
Unless I have read the data incorrectly...

You can measure the residual on the servo with the fish scale process. But you need to measure it with a lever attached, not just the servo arm. Your control stick/yoke provides a huge amount of leverage, so measuring with just the servo arm gives a false indication of how high the force actually is.

The rotation of the servo arm should be smooth and uniform when you're rotating it in your hand. If it is jerky, there could be an issue with the servo. If the jerkiness goes away when you disconnect the wiring harness, then there's a problem in the wiring harness.

Thanks Lucas. It is smooth and feels just fine to me.
I think the noise I hear is just inherent to a stepper motor.

Back