What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Pants

RV12Pilot

I bought a E-LSA RV-12 June 2020. Am loving the airplane.
It has wheel pants. I haven’t measured the ground clearance but it seems to be only a couple of inches.
At the condition inspection which has just been completed it was found that the left main wheel pant was cracked from bottom for about 4 or 5 inches. I’m kicking myself as I never noticed this.
Has anyone had a similar experience? What are others doing about such a minimal ground clearance?
I obviously caused the crack but I have no idea how I could have and NO I’m not saying that every landing I did was that good.
I’m just trying to get ideas on how to avoid future cracks.
Thanks
Charlie

I went to Desser Elite Retreads. The Elite tire, as a result of having more tread is bigger in diameter by approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Consider enlarging the bottom opening all around the tire. You can use a drill with a sanding drum to do that. You will not be racing the -12 so a close-fitting pant is not helping you any. That will give you a little more protection from grounding the wheel pant if you have a hard landing.

I went to Desser Elite Retreads. The Elite tire, as a result of having more tread is bigger in diameter by approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

I use these also. Tires are not only larger in diameter but also wider. You need to enlarge opening in wheel fairing to allow >1/2" clearance all around tire. I operate off grass and no problem.

Tires are also heavier so inspect aluminum gear channel carry-thru for cracks where AN5 bolts secure large outer clamp.

What us the likely cause for the crack? My wheel pants are 3/4" from the ground.

Typical causes are low tire and firm landing deforms the tire and it catches an edge. The warning are polished areas on the tires.

Rough taxi and ramp area where it dropped in a hole.

Grass operations (rough)

Someone pushed it back on a huge ramp chock.

Pictures?

Sorry no pictures as the repair has been done
Am pretty sure tires needed air.
Thank you

I found the wheel pants to be a great aesthetic value, but they were not worth the PITA associated with checking and adjusting air pressure. Another issue is that a flat tire makes it impossible to unscrew the two bottom screws to get them off, so you have to Jack up the plane to even move the plane.

Well, I love my wheel pants ever since I installed them and never had a issue with them, I would not fly without them.Checking air pressure is not a problem either for me. I also like the 4 -5 knts I gained with them.

Bummer, Randy. Not the sort of luck you want. Reminds me of a trip back from OSH one year. I did the whole trek in one day to the Phoenix area only to have a student flip a 152 at the end of the runway closing the GEU airport as I was on approach. Left me scrambling to a near by airport because the tower wouldn’t let me land on the taxiway. That taxiway was longer and wider than most small town airport runways I’ve used.

Back