What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

carburetor bowl gaskets

When I check the weights of my floats during my condition inspections I reuse the carb bowl gasket. 5 months after the last inspection I had to replace my floats due a rough running engine, one being way to heavy, (6.3 grams). Along with new floats I also ordered new gaskets from Lockwood at $21 each. The problem I experienced was it was too difficult to get the new gasket to stay in place as I was doing this while the carbs were still on the plane. (the pull, lift and twist method). The new gaskets were black rubber where the old gaskets are a much more durable, stiffer green material. With this heat wave in the Northwest the temp in the hanger was 95 degrees and the new gaskets were way to flexible to stay in place, even with a touch of grease to hold the gasket in place and putting them in the beer fridge for a bit to make them stiffer. After much frustration, and sweat I ended up reusing the green gaskets and will keep the rubber ones for my next condition inspection when it is a lot cooler in February. My question is why the different types of gasket material?

I neglected to insert the rubber Real Gaskets into the carb groove, resulting in both leaking. Contrary to the advertised "Does not swell. Reusable", the gaskets swelled, making them unusable. After waiting for a week, they did shrink back to normal size and I was able to reuse them. Installed properly, they do not leak. I plan to order another set prior to removing the carb bowls next time.

Put a dab of white grease on the gasket and it will stay in place during reassembly. I have about 5 annuals on my current paper gaskets and they don’t leak.

I tried the silicone rubber gaskets and they leaked terribly.

Put a dab of white grease on the gasket and it will stay in place during reassembly. I have about 5 annuals on my current paper gaskets and they don’t leak.

I tried the silicone rubber gaskets and they leaked terribly.

Gasoline will destroy silicone, no wonder you had problems with leaking.

The gaskets I recommended above are Viton, They seal great, reusable, do not take a set after compression.

Viton is the same material the carburetor flange, intake manifold and many other gaskets in the engine are made of. I think the only place you will find gaskets made from silicone are in the coolant area.

Last edited:
Back