What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop cable?

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi Guys-

7A builder here, but I have a 390 up front. I am having a heck of a time getting the correct prop cable and wondering if one of you kind 14 builders could tell me the length of your cable, and where you got it? Vans doesn't seem to show a standard prop cable for the 14.

This is literally the last part I need before inspection can be scheduled.

Thanks!
dan

Hey All- replaying to my own post. Looks like Vans changed the naming convention, but it appears to be 58" for the 14. I need 61" so unless I am wrong, I need a custom one still

McFarlane Aviation manufactures all types of engine control cables to customer specifications. Very helpful, easy to talk to!

Cablecraft is just a couple of hour drive North of you; you might want to run up and have them build it to your specs.

This was the original Cablecraft HQ before they were acquired, they are *very* familiar with aircraft requirements.

I’m confused

You are building a -7 but are asking about a -14 prop cable and your post is in the -14 forum. That said on my -14 I used the stock prop cable from Van’s but custom mixture and throttle cables from McFarlane.

Thanks All! I'll try both of those out. Cablecraft being close is a great option.

Jeff, I knowingly posted in the 14 forum since most of you have a 390 (as I do) with forward mounted governor whereas most of my fellow RV-7 builders are running 320/360's with rear mounted governors. Was hoping the length was what I'd need, but still a few inches short.

I know of at least one guy who has a 7 with an IO 390 and he used a Vans cable with an extension. Cant remember if it was the prop or one of the other ones.

Spruce has them in various lengths for like $15.

We installed a throttle quadrant and had to get custom cables for everything. Cablecraft was VERY helpful. Talked us through exactly what measurements they needed and their stuff fit perfectly. Highly recommend.

Back