What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Retrofit Lockable Fuel Caps

Peter M

I?m considering fitting the Vans Retrofit Lockable Fuel Caps to my finished and flying RV-6. As a result of some stories I?ve heard lately, I?ve become a bit paranoid with stuff being dropped into my tanks when the aircraft is parked outside during a fly-away.

From the photo on the Vans web site (http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1525984962-466-507&browse=misc&product=retro-cap), the kit includes a flange with countersunk screw holes which I guess is mounted on the surface of the wing. What fixing is there for the screws/bolts that hold this flange? Do they just screw into the wing skin or do I need to get into the tank somehow to put nuts on the end of a countersunk bolts?

I?d be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted this kit.

Use Pro-seal

I installed the caps in my quickbuild wings and they worked great as advertised.

I scuffed up and cleaned the surfaces of the existing fuel caps' openings, as well as the retainer rings that came in the kit. I used Pro-seal to bond the cap retainers in place in the wing opening.

Be neat and careful, not to drip extra Pro-seal into the tanks, it doesn't take very much to complete the bonding/mating of the surfaces. Let it setup a few days and you're done.

Steve

I could be wrong, but I believe that the flange with countersunk holes is the standard Van?s flange and is just shown for reference. The smaller flange fits down inside the existing flange and is held in place with only tank sealant.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the flange with countersunk holes is the standard Van?s flange and is just shown for reference. The smaller flange fits down inside the existing flange and is held in place with only tank sealant.

That would be correct.
As the text in the description at the link posted by the O.P. says "Requires some tank sealant (MC-236-B2 ?) to bond a new flange within the old flange."

So you fit lockable caps and then some thieving b comes along and wants to steal your fuel! How long would it take them to punch a hole in the bottom of the tank with a screw driver etc? Same goes with lockable canopy, I'd rather they took what the want than have the canopy broken for access. With a busted canopy your stuck where you where for a long time!
Maybe I'm paranoid. Cheers, B

Lockable Fuel Caps

I installed the caps in my RV-4 a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with them. As was already said put sealant on them and drop them in the hole. If you want the key straight up and down when the caps are locked remember to adjust them before the sealant dries.

Someone that is determined to get into your fuel tank, or your aircraft is going to do so. Locks on your tank or aircraft doors is just a way to keep a casual thief away (or prevent a curious sole from committing a crime of opportunity).

With that said I did decide to purchase the deluxe locking fuel caps (not the retrofit) since I am still building.

A thief would probably pick an adjacent plane with non-locking caps if he wanted to siphon fuel out. They tend to go for the easy opportunity.

My reason for fitting lockable fuel caps is not to prevent someone from stealing fuel. They can use the fuel drains to do that. It?s to stop someone putting something in the tanks. A friend of mine heard something rolling in his tank. When inspected it was found to be a solid piece of sheep sh*t. We?ve been unable to find any plausible information on the impact of sheep sh*t on the octane rating of 100LL Avgas so I?ve opted to lock my fuel caps. :)

A thief would probably pick an adjacent plane with non-locking caps if he wanted to siphon fuel out. They tend to go for the easy opportunity.

Or simply push up on the tank drain? Tank drains are also VERY easy to remove with a crescent wrench.

If someone wants my fuel, there's not much I can do to stop them. Like Peter, I view locking caps as a way to ensure nothing untoward was put IN the tank.

Back