What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Flips On Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
KathrynReport.jpg

Incident occurred February 19, 2017 at Alton Bay Seaplane Base (B18), Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

ALTON, N.H. ? Alton Bay was a hot bed of activity for first responders Sunday. A truck fell through the ice, a plane flipped over, and a dog had to be rescued from the icy water.

The bed of the red pickup truck was sticking out of the ice near Sandy Point in Alton.

"The initial report is that people were still in the truck when it was in the water so responded up here," Fish and Game Lt. Mike Eastman said.

No one was injured. Everyone in the truck was able to get out on their before Fish and Game personnel arrived.

But while officers were at the scene, a small plane crashed during takeoff on the ice runway less than a mile away.

"We heard people going 'oh wow, oh wow!' so we looked over and there was a plane just sort of toppling over and it was standing on its nose for a second. Then it just fell right over. It looked like a tin can," said Beth Myer, whose daughter ran to help.

More than a hundred people were in the area celebrating the winter carnival.

"There's a lot of people that went out to help though," said Joshua Hanson, a witness. "There was like 40. They were just running."

"It was the type of plane where the cockpit actually slides back," Eastman said. "There's no door or anything on the outside so the pilot and the passenger were trapped inside the plane at that point."

The good Samaritans helped lift the plane off the ice.

"We couldn't get the hatch back so the pilot said just break the window. I used my baton to the break the window out and we were able to get the pilot and the passenger out," Eastman said.

Neither person was injured. Once they were out safely, the plane was flipped back over and eventually towed away by a snow machine.

Minutes after things started to calm down, a dog became trapped in icy water underneath a dock. The dog appeared to be a stray and was rescued safely after several tense minutes.

Fish and Game officials said it appears the plane hit a snowbank along the runway, causing it to flip. Nobody was injured today but they're urging people to use extreme caution on the ice, especially after the mild weekend. Recently, three people died when their snowmobiles went through the ice in Alton and Moultonborough on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Story and video: http://www.wmur.com

When I lived in Mass and had my RV-3 I was tempted to go to Alton many times. Was always told it's no biggy, the ice isn't any different than any other snow covered runway in the north. yeah... this is why I never did. But I still might someday. Ponds don't often freeze in Kansas

-Bruce

I started to go but winds and temps changed my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin gave me a lot of motivation. I just started and he was already on the fuse. He visited my shop couple times for morale boost and a look-see. He gave me a ride in his club Cherokee to Bloomsburg RV flyin in 2009. Sharp stick conservative flyer. I hope you get back in the air soon Robin. It can happen to anybody.

Robin gave me a lot of motivation. I just started and he was already on the fuse. He visited my shop couple times for morale boost and a look-see. He gave me a ride in his club Cherokee to Bloomsburg RV flyin in 2009. Sharp stick conservative flyer. I hope you get back in the air soon Robin. It can happen to anybody.

Great post Vlad!

Wow, sorry to hear that! I gave Robin a ride back when I had a 7a, before he started his build, and he's a great guy...

Accident

Hey don't get me wrong here but isn't flying off of a frozen lake with melting ice and slushy water on top kind of risky. I didn't think rv's were made for this kind of flying.

Just my opinion.

Glad they're all right and can repair the aircraft.

Hey don't get me wrong here but isn't flying off of a frozen lake with melting ice and slushy water on top kind of risky. I didn't think rv's were made for this kind of flying.

Just my opinion.

Glad they're all right and can repair the aircraft.

Brian:
We've all made assumptions based on what we see and hear. The pilot saw planes taking off and landing and it appears a fairly high level of activity. I'm sure he also heard it was a great place to fly into.That would help to convince him that the risk was acceptable.
Ever flown into a turf strip for an early breakfast gathering? Pretty much like landing on ice. Ever landed on an "unimproved" runway and said "holy #*@! on the rollout. How about relying on someone else's opinion about the length of grass, depth of snow, or an icing or ride report? In many cases, it's just one opinion in one location at one point in time. But it's better than no information, and far less than this pilot had.
I'm sure he's beating himself up pretty badly over this situation. It could have been any one of us.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back