What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inertial reel shoulder harness

alcladrv

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed inertial reel shoulder harnesses in a -7A?

Any comments on how you did it?

Thanks, Mike

inertia reel harness?

Hi Mike,

It doesn't look like anyone answered your post. I'm building an RV-8 and I'm also thinking about how nice inertial reels would be on the front shoulder harness. I think I can do it easily in the back seat, but for the front, I'd love some ideas.

Did you hear any?

Steve Smith
RV-8 finishing and FWF

In the air, it's more of an up and down thing that you want to stay seated. Smacking the canopy with the top of your head is not a good thing.

Inertial reel.

I thought about it but then I thought, "I may want to do some acro" and concluded that the fixed Sport Hooker Harness was probably going to be good enough. I was not sure if the "inertial" would "inert":) in acro and still don't know. I do know that I have used the plane more for X-country and the fixed harness has never been a problem for me.
There are not a lot of things to do up there in a pretty small cockpit. I find I can do everything with the Harness on. I am 6'3" so my arms are long enough to reach everything I need to reach. On occasion my wife will complain so the "captain" (she is the "high commander") allows the seat belt to be released long enough to take the shoulder harness off. It gets re-attached for landing or if it gets bumpy. For me any more than the fixed harness would have been overkill and possibly an inertial harness would have hindered the upside down stuff. That may be worth checking out because more than likely you will want to do a tiny bit of upside down someday. :D

INERTIAL REEL HARNESS

Has anyone installed inertial reel shoulder harnesses in a -7A?

Any comments on how you did it?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike

I have installed inertial reel harnesses to my 7A slider.

There are a several styles of harnesses that you are able to use but the one I would recommend is a locking style and five piont. They have a cable attached to the reel that will lock the reel and stop it from rotating. I still intend to install a hooker style harness for areo's and only use the inertial for when i do cross country.

I consulted an engineer about the structural changes needed prior to installing the reels, I have had to add a 7075-t6 angle across the channel that supports the seat backs this also severs as a mount for the reels. New gussets were manufactured also. In addition to this a chrome molly tube needs to be fitted to route and raise the belts closer to the top of your shoulders. This prevents a downward load on your shoulders in the case of an accident. I have yet to do this but intend to manufacture a new seat back from chrome molly tube and incorporate this into it.

I will try and get to the hanger this week and get some pictures if you are interested.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mike

I have installed inertial reel harnesses to my 7A slider.

There are a several styles of harnesses that you are able to use but the one I would recommend is a locking style and five piont. They have a cable attached to the reel that will lock the reel and stop it from rotating. I still intend to install a hooker style harness for areo's and only use the inertial for when i do cross country.

I consulted an engineer about the structural changes needed prior to installing the reels, I have had to add a 7075-t6 angle across the channel that supports the seat backs this also severs as a mount for the reels. New gussets were manufactured also. In addition to this a chrome molly tube needs to be fitted to route and raise the belts closer to the top of your shoulders. This prevents a downward load on your shoulders in the case of an accident. I have yet to do this but intend to manufacture a new seat back from chrome molly tube and incorporate this into it.

I will try and get to the hanger this week and get some pictures if you are interested.

About how much would be the added weight?

I weighed my 6A, and it's on the heavier side. 90 lbs. more than some, and 70 lbs. less than a few others. Since the weigh in, I now think of items I wouldn't have thrown in if I did it again. The "scales" just have a way making you think different. Just like the bathroom ones do sometimes! :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Last edited:
inertial reel shoulder harness?

Question
Has anyone got some pictures available of the installed inertial reels and the side loops in a side-by-side RV6-7-9's shoulder harness :rolleyes: ?

Thanks, Pit

I dont understand the point of inertia reels in a homebuilt. They are for ease of adjustability but the vast majority of homebuilts are flown only by their owners. So that would mean they are dead weight for the pilots seat where belt length would be rarely adjusted. Maybe a case for passenger seat but even then the non reel belts are no hassle and don't require special treatment (re: locking mechanism noted earlier )

Inertia reel

I dont understand the point of inertia reels in a homebuilt. They are for ease of adjustability but ....

Bill, no ... not really. When I installed the classic aero side panels I had difficulties to get to the sidepockets when strapped in .... or to get to the right hand side trying to grabb the chart which disappeared by coincidence in the footing aerea :mad:

Last edited:
I installed (non-locking) harnesses in a 182--big mistake

In turbulence, you want to be able to really "snug down" -- the conventional inertia reel harness just does not allow that. I have never used a "locking" type, so, no data point.

R.

I have inertia reels on the shoulder harnesses on my Cessna 180. The seat belts are fixed. The inertia reels let me reach different things in the cockpit while remaining firmly strapped in.

It's a good system.

The weight and balance says that the change from seat belts alone (that is, not from fixed shoulder harnesses) was 1.9 pounds.

Dave

Last edited:
Back