- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:16 AM

Default k1000-6 NutPlates

Good morning VAF. A quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to through searching google and the forum. I'm finishing the right elevator on my empennage kit and when I try to thread in the rod end bearings for the hinge point, they are really tight after the first few threads. I tried the other nut plates in my bag and they are all this way. When I look at them, I can see the threads all the way through so it looks like they should be able to thread all he way through. It almost looks like the coating that on it is blocking the threads so I ran a tap through a couple. But I stopped because I am curious is this is the way it's supposed to be? Are they tight to hold a bolt like a nylock nut? or am I making a mess of things by running a tap through?

First Time Builder
RV8A- Status:
Empennage Kit: In work (45%-ish)
Wings Kit: Ordered (Standard Build)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Adam_RV-8
Old 06-01-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob865 View Post
Good morning VAF. A quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to through searching google and the forum. I'm finishing the right elevator on my empennage kit and when I try to thread in the rod end bearings for the hinge point, they are really tight after the first few threads. I tried the other nut plates in my bag and they are all this way. When I look at them, I can see the threads all the way through so it looks like they should be able to thread all he way through. It almost looks like the coating that on it is blocking the threads so I ran a tap through a couple. But I stopped because I am curious is this is the way it's supposed to be? Are they tight to hold a bolt like a nylock nut? or am I making a mess of things by running a tap through?
They are supposed to be tight and you really shouldn't run a tap through them - they will lose some/most/all of their self locking feature. Use boelube or some other lubricant and the screws will go in much easier.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 06-01-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob865 View Post
Are they tight to hold a bolt like a nylock nut?
Yes. more char
Old 06-01-2021, 07:08 AM

I knew you guys would know! Thanks!

First Time Builder
RV8A- Status:
Empennage Kit: In work (45%-ish)
Wings Kit: Ordered (Standard Build)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Adam_RV-8
Old 06-01-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Nutplate adjustment

If you ran a tap through and they are loose, get a pair of vice grjps and squeeze the end were the screw exits. Start with no clamping force and increase a tjny bit at a time till it barely deforms. Lock that setting and repeat on the others.
I've had a few that were so tight, I had to run a tap through then reset them to a realistic friction.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 AM

Do check them for threads before you rivet them on, as from time to time a nutplate sneaks by the threading machine at the factory.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:52 PM

Also keep in mind that if your nut plate opening isn't perfectly centered with the hole in the material in front of it, your threads will end up rubbing against the aluminum opening as you thread it into the nut plate, adding what can be a lot of extra resistance.