What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Bluetooth GPS from Garmin

SteinAir

Well Known Member
In case a few folks didn't notice, Garmin will be releasing a new little portable Bluetooth GPS receiver at OSH this year. Runs for 10+ hours on the internal battery, will see both US and Russian satellites, and works with phones and tablets. List price is $129, more specs and details from GARMIN here.

Cheers,
Stein

The price of these little gadgets keeps creeping up instead of going down with competition.

What gives Garmin??????

The price of these little gadgets keeps creeping up instead of going down with competition.

What gives Garmin??????

As far as I can tell, the street price inevitably will be lower and likely will end up pretty close to most other external GPSes for the tablets....maybe even a little cheaper considering the accesories included with it. Have you priced the Bad Elf, Dual, or MFI units? They all fall about the $100 spot. Also noted is that Garmin will have a unit available without the accessories priced at $99, which will likely end up cheaper than the others if you don't want the power cable, etc..

Just my view...

Cheers,
Stein

Elephant in the room

Garmin is stuck in there own world, and rapidly being eclipsed by the iPad et al. Basically they figure the garmin name is worth a ~25% premium. Another lumbering jugernaught unable to maneuver amongst the hungry competition biting at its heels. I love the free market.

Not to be negative, I'm just sayin', seems like the real innovation is coming from the small, agile players in the market. A reoccurring theme. I'm just sayin'

Last edited:

What gives Garmin??????

Garmin is stuck in there own world, and rapidly being eclipsed by the iPad et al. Basically they figure the garmin name is worth a ~25% premium. Another lumbering jugernaught unable to maneuver amongst the hungry competition biting at its heels. I love the free market.

Wow, why all the negativity?

As I understand it, the new Garmin device is a game changer because it simultaneously receives GPS and the Russian GPS system. Talk about redundancy.....and for only about $100. I see this is a great new development in GPS receivers, one I hope is adopted by other manufacturers. Seems like an inexpensive way to put an aviation-centric iPad on the leading edge of GPS technology.

Sam, my thoughts were very similar to yours.

As I understand it, the new Garmin device is a game changer because it simultaneously receives GPS and the Russian GPS system. Talk about redundancy.....and for only about $100. I see this is a great new development in GPS receivers, one I hope is adopted by other manufacturers. Seems like an inexpensive way to put an aviation-centric iPad on the leading edge of GPS technology.

What's the difference between Garmin's new GLO and Foreflight's Stratus subscription free unit other than price?

This unit seems to fill a niche and serve as the path to keep Garmin software in your cockpit (on your iPad).

IMO, the iPad is kind of a patchwork solution for an RV. It is too big, too dim (or lacking in contrast), and doesn't offer a signal out to drive my autopilot. I can't see investing real money going down that path.

I'm looking forward to an ADS-B aviation handheld that truly replaces (or upgrades) the XM compatable handheld units in a small device with a bright screen which will drive my autopilot.

Stein...Paging Stein???

Ask me more in about a week! ;).

It's a tough time of the year every year the week before OSH - neat things coming from many different fronts! Penalties for divulging data too early could be losing body parts with a dull, rusty spoon....and we all know I can't afford to keep losing body parts!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:

GPS+GLONASS isn't really revolutionary. The iPhone 4S, the latest iPad (3G model), as well as a number of Android phones support both GPS and GLONASS. I suspect, but have no data to support it, that Garmin didn't do anything revolutionary but simply picked up the latest chipset which happens to include both GPS and GLONASS capability.

Yep, seems like a good thing to have two separate satellite constellations.

Garmin mentions using this with their software, but I assume it would work without "Garmin Pilot" loaded. If that is a yes, plays well with others, then I'd consider the GLO, I do like Garmin hardware. Garmin hasn't posted a manual or much info at all so don't really know at this point.

Back