What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XCruze autopilot

777Dave

Well Known Member
Got the ok from the boss to install an autopilot in the airplane....getting old and it will make life easier.
Wondering if anyone has experience with interfacing the G5 with a Bendix-King xCruze autopilot? I have a G5 PFD but no intention of fitting another as an HSI. I’m strictly VFR.
From what I have read, this is all doable.

Regards and thanks.

Got the ok from the boss to install an autopilot in the airplane....getting old and it will make life easier.
Wondering if anyone has experience with interfacing the G5 with a Bendix-King xCruze autopilot? I have a G5 PFD but no intention of fitting another as an HSI. I’m strictly VFR.
From what I have read, this is all doable.

Regards and thanks.

Hi Dave,

Just a quick mention that you already have the heart (G5) of the greatest autopilot you could install in your plane. Just add a couple of servos and the GMC 507.

There is absolutely no better autopilot interface than the mode readout with flight director on the G5 and the great buttons/knobs on the GMC 507. You would give up all of that if you add a 3rd party autopilot.

ACtC-3embG9bv4zVdNMkNwZrSVCSonmdc4UxIZ3Ru8swUmx413WOdseT6ON49tcsJTLGs5cdsrQTsgr9ww5cQOZWo3P6nrvlVYCqmOfe7j9uDQuE6XlNAWi_DkoWHpfRe7SSI7BECoMVlZzmzVRmKBtkzXnB=w610

If you add a Garmin portable navigator like the Aera 660/760, you can enter a route or direct-to and fly autopilot coupled anywhere in the country including autopilot coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

ACtC-3dC14xpMLVvdisJP3SDC2s_4wjTbbZU931w4rNy-ZMoP5N9w5iJAP6Sh4zyNBNQpS4ppiUNqnJTqB9UZBdy9K7V1ycY4zWEP7Bs1ZcqNBltNxOQKEecIiHJ9RAMkuD_8jOCasUOJ_4q10ieNyTA_gbG=w561

Steve

Last edited:
Garmin

I had a quick look at the Garmin and will definitely investigate further. Indeed the G5 is a fantastic instrument. Thanks for this.

I was in the same position (VFR only RV-4 with a G5) and got the same advice -- go with the Garmin solution -- when I asked about the xCruze.

The dealbreaker for me is that the Garmin GMC 507 A/P control head is enormous, and I couldn't fit it anywhere in my panel. The xCruze only needs a free 2 1/4" hole.

In the end I went with the xCruze and it's been rock solid so far. And the price is right! Lead time was a little long but nothing drastic.

One difference with you is that I wasn't bothered about integrating it with the G5; I have mine wired via RS-232 into my Aera 660 for navigation and that's plenty. If you want to connect it to the G5 for automatic altimeter setting etc you'll need a Garmin GAD29 ARINC converter, which adds another $700 to your build price. But it's very possible.

Size matters...sometimes

Both very valid points! I just redid my panel. And now have more room so the 507 unit will fit if I want. I didn’t have one square inch on the old panel.
From what I can see the price is not a factor either way.
Any comment regarding the servos? It appears the Garmin servos have a clutch and TT uses a shear pin.

TruTrak

I would say that the most notable difference is that with the TruTrak, it is a completely stand-alone system which can interface with the G5...but does not require the G5 to operate. This would give you some additional safety and redundancy.

Ultimately, both autopilot systems will fly the aircraft well and should give you years of service.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have anymore questions about the TruTrak!

Andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com

Wait, Did I read this correctly?

Wait: If I am reading this thread correctly it implies that since I already have the G5 installed in my RV9A I just need to purchase the GMC 507 and two Servo's for a combined cost of $2600 plus some cabling, mounting brackets / Rods Etc and the LABOR to install and I will have 2 Axis Autopilot ? Did I miss anything? Looks like the way to go for me !

Wait: If I am reading this thread correctly it implies that since I already have the G5 installed in my RV9A I just need to purchase the GMC 507 and two Servo's for a combined cost of $2600 plus some cabling, mounting brackets / Rods Etc and the LABOR to install and I will have 2 Axis Autopilot ? Did I miss anything? Looks like the way to go for me !

Hi N40ES,

Yes, that is correct. With your G5 already installed, you just need to add GSA 28 pitch/roll servos, RV-9A pitch/roll servo install kits, and the GMC 507 autopilot control panel.

If you have 2 G5 units installed, you have a complete backup for the primary G5 unit. In the unlikely event that a problem develops with the G5 PFD, just turn it off, and re-engage the autopilot using the G5 HSI (which becomes the PFD with flight director and lateral/vertical deviation bars).

ACtC-3ehKNl3Cf5pJJbwklGbrCfCiadKT7fkoydawGodZC5ziIYJSwlskZiyFyL31paui8q5D1SJmUrgk2UHxBkL8uQNYhm6wBRS_9Z1m8Lw50bbo8XoWPk8ma5jVfwwDhZC2E39QXGPQ7nQQitUuxpT-cfr=w492

If you ever decide you want to add an IFR navigator like the GPS 175, GNC 355, or GNX 375, just add a GAD 29 and the IFR navigator of choice and fly every route, SID, STAR, Approach, and Missed Approach autopilot coupled.

ACtC-3dULYV0GEpwyyMggy6veVxTSG7cI23YZ9Ss9XyaOhbPb8DK-MizVB0qrsPjO16wj-LUxp9ExTxtwNX0WTrIPokyTIW-NaToL3sQl2lF56_LsEr05k49whUTSnBmuorTezHUsp91vMhCHe-nbmA-kryx=w522

Steve

GMC305

There is another option for the Garmin control head: the GMC305 is about $380 less than the GMC507, though you may want to spend more for the GMC507 extra knobs and buttons.

xCruze 110 Auto-Pilots

I would say that the most notable difference is that with the TruTrak, it is a completely stand-alone system which can interface with the G5...but does not require the G5 to operate. This would give you some additional safety and redundancy.

Ultimately, both autopilot systems will fly the aircraft well and should give you years of service.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have anymore questions about the TruTrak!

Hey Andrew,
I see you fly a 4 as well..wonderful plane and not sure if it should have an auto-pilot but on those Oshkosh trips from the west coast it would be nice. I called Bendix-King this week and got a Honeywell guy who didn’t know anything about the xCruze Auto-Pilots. I just wanted to know what the availability and lead times are for the xCruze 110. Spruce has no stock of any of the xCruze line. Are they all special order ? Just a quick update would be helpful.

LOVE my 4!

You bet I have an autopilot in my 4. I have flown it back and forth across the country several times. Makes those long days much nicer, even in the 4 where you are ready for a break after just a few hours :)

You can always reach out to me for autopilot questions! Andrew.barker(at)Honeywell.com

Aircraft Spruce is trying REALLY hard to keep xCruze 100 (Vizion) and xCruze 110 (Gemini AP) in stock. Our manufacturing facility has been backed up on the xCruze 110 lately, but product is starting to flow again. We should have stock at Distributors over the next 3-4 weeks. Some may start receiving stock units in the next 1-2 weeks.

Install

Since the G5 will display the A/P modes I’ve decided to go with Garmin.
Mounting the roll servo looks like the biggest challenge...

Results

Figured I would summarize my experience with this project...
I installed the pitch servo as per the G3X install manual in behind the baggage area. I used cherrymax rivets and it was straight forward.
I went with several suggestions regarding the roll servo and put it beside the stick . Plenty of room and easy access.
The wiring was done by an avionics guru friend and after a glitch which caused a communication problem with the G5, all was good and the servo software loaded.
After about 10 test flights to fine tune the servos this is what I have settled on for my RV4....
Pitch gain 2.0 and torque 30%
Roll gain .80 and torque 30%
I have manual pitch trim.
Note. Pitch worked well right off the bat but Not roll. Had trouble with Nav and Track functions (wandering)until the roll torque was raised from 20% to 30%.

Cheers,

The biggest [problem with the BK Aerocruze 100 is nobody wants to install it !! I called Mid Continents, because I couldn't get anyone at BK, and the person gave me a few shops to call which supposedly do a lot of BK installs and they all badmouthed BK and said they never want to give BK any money : Texas Gyro, Hartsell Avionics, Flite Electonics, just to name a few.

Since you sold the company it's a different ballgame.

Hi Dave,

Just a quick mention that you already have the heart (G5) of the greatest autopilot you could install in your plane. Just add a couple of servos and the GMC 507.

There is absolutely no better autopilot interface than the mode readout with flight director on the G5 and the great buttons/knobs on the GMC 507. You would give up all of that if you add a 3rd party autopilot.

ACtC-3embG9bv4zVdNMkNwZrSVCSonmdc4UxIZ3Ru8swUmx413WOdseT6ON49tcsJTLGs5cdsrQTsgr9ww5cQOZWo3P6nrvlVYCqmOfe7j9uDQuE6XlNAWi_DkoWHpfRe7SSI7BECoMVlZzmzVRmKBtkzXnB=w610

If you add a Garmin portable navigator like the Aera 660/760, you can enter a route or direct-to and fly autopilot coupled anywhere in the country including autopilot coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

ACtC-3dC14xpMLVvdisJP3SDC2s_4wjTbbZU931w4rNy-ZMoP5N9w5iJAP6Sh4zyNBNQpS4ppiUNqnJTqB9UZBdy9K7V1ycY4zWEP7Bs1ZcqNBltNxOQKEecIiHJ9RAMkuD_8jOCasUOJ_4q10ieNyTA_gbG=w561

Steve

I have 2 G5s, a 660, and a Garmin 335 for ADS-B OUT, and I don't mind paying the $6600 for the autopilot kit, but when they ask for $20,000 just to install it, there's no way !!

Last edited:
The biggest [problem with the BK Aerocruze 100 is nobody wants to install it !! I called Mid Continents, because I couldn't get anyone at BK, and the person gave me a few shops to call which supposedly do a lot of BK installs and they all badmouthed BK and said they never want to give BK any money : Texas Gyro, Hartsell Avionics, Flite Electonics, just to name a few.

Since you sold the company it's a different ballgame.

If you are having trouble finding a dealer to do an install, give me a shout at andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com and I will gladly get you in touch with a sales manager on my team that will get you some help!

FWIW, I went the TruTrak route instead of the Garmin route.

I already had dual G5's and the GAD29 in my plane and I did not have room for the GMC 307 or 507 AP head in my radio stack. I just replaced my old Navaid with the TruTrak head (fits nicely in the same 3" hole).

In my case, it was also a bit less expensive, since I could get the TruTrak for $2100 from ACS and it included everything I needed (even mounting brackets for the servos and the connectors).

I suspect the GMC head is a more intuitive/friendly interface, but I'm sure the TruTrak will be just fine once I get used to it. (Just finished the install, so haven't flown it yet.)

It was not too big of a job. Took me 2 weekends. One for the physical install and the other for the wiring and ground checks.

Shipping from ACS was quick (within 1 week).

Steve

Availability on XCuz110

Got it, thanks!
I'm trying to find the expected availability of the XCruz110 computer only, as an upgrade to an ADI Pilot that seems to have a dead gyro as the indicator is canted about 30 degrees & doesn't move though the display does light up. NOWHERE shows any stock?!?

I'm trying to find the expected availability of the XCruz110 computer only, as an upgrade to an ADI Pilot that seems to have a dead gyro as the indicator is canted about 30 degrees & doesn't move though the display does light up. NOWHERE shows any stock?!?

I ordered the xCruze computer only from Spruce back in January. It was back ordered and I finally received it in mid-July. I replaced a TT VSGV. The chip shortage thing was the hold up.
Good luck!

I just installed an Xcruze 100 in my RV8 to replace an old TruTrak that was acting up.

Repinned the power wire, and hooked up the wings level button as per the manual and it seems to be working fine on the ground. Getting ready to do the first test flight if the winds in NJ ever calm down.

I'm wondering what I should use for settings to start out? RV8 with Superior "Slo-Syn" stepper servo motors.

Attachments

• original_cc70ea88-90c5-46f6-bf92-053eba629e5d_PXL_20220328_220628079.jpg
    original_cc70ea88-90c5-46f6-bf92-053eba629e5d_PXL_20220328_220628079.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 61
I just installed an Xcruze 100 in my RV8 to replace an old TruTrak that was acting up.

Repinned the power wire, and hooked up the wings level button as per the manual and it seems to be working fine on the ground. Getting ready to do the first test flight if the winds in NJ ever calm down.

I'm wondering what I should use for settings to start out? RV8 with Superior "Slo-Syn" stepper servo motors.

Here are the suggestions from the newest manual. Oddly the RV-8 settings are missing. I would use the RV-7 settings to start and play with the lateral and vertical activity if needed. Look at the RV-4’s lat/vert activity as these may be well suited for a tandem model.

5D38239C-6540-4B7D-8F7C-B8097611C67F.jpg

Last edited:
Back