What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 flight tips

dacronwall

Well Known Member
Hey....Uh,...I'm new here. I am buying an RV-3 and have a bit of concern over my first flight in it. I am a tail wheel guy from day 1...learned in Citabrias, fly the Decathlon, some Pitts time....I can handle the RV I'm sure.
But this community is deep in knowledge and I thought I would reach out for some tips, guidance, gospel and "whatever you do, don't....", ...that kinda stuff.

I have looked at log books and inspected the plane, it is having a few things done to it before I take possession, so I have a couple weeks. My insurance carrier is asking for a sign off with a CFI in an RV-4 which I am trying to put together. But in all the plane docs, I don't find any kind of POH or other which gives procedures, approach speed, climb out, performance and such. I have the weight and balance data which is good, but heck...with 1 seat and limited space its hard to screw that part up.

SO any links, tips, or if anyone in the SF Bay Area has an RV-4 that you want to share some hobbs time in, I'd love to get as much info and experience as possible before I solo the RV-3.

Cheers
Dave
408-640-0641

It will be hard to get a sign-off in an RV-4. As a rule those few that have full dual controls aren't really satisfactory when it comes to the rudder and brakes. It would be nice if you could talk to your insurance folk and have them approve a check-out in a side by side RV. The 3 is not more difficult.

I have only flown an RV-3 once but really didn't find it that different the my 6 except for the superiority of centerline seating.

Speeds on all the one and two seat (non RV-12) RVs are similar but vary some for each particular model with differences in the static and pitot systems. I think a fixed pitch versus constant speed propellor is a bigger difference than the model difference. Deceleration is much faster with a constant speed and a higher approach speed may be called for. Some slow flight at altitude will tell you a lot about a suitable approach speed. If you are a bit fast for the first few approaches, no big deal.

Last edited:
Larry is right about the -4. Talk to your insurance agent about getting time in either any side-by-side tailwheel RV.

Also verify if they require "dual" or simply time in an RV. I mention that because when I was preparing for my first flight my insurance company wanted me to get three hours in a -9 taildragger. At the time there were maybe five flying. I negotiated them down to any side-by-side RV. Since I didn't need dual, I flew 3.2 in the right seat of a friend's -6.

Dual time

Thanks for the replies, I don't have direct instructions for "dual time"...I may have mis-spoken. They asked for me to get "signed off" by a CFI of their approval.
I have a good friend (and CFI) who has +200 hrs in RV's who they have said they will accept as the check guy. I can probably do some time with him in the back of a 4, then swap seats and do an hour in the front and that should do it.
That is what I am hoping for, anyway... I did an hour in the Pitts S2C last week, the RV-3 can't be as squirrely as that is.

I will be hanging out here a bit from now on...Hope for more good intel as I get deeper into the RV experience.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I recommend getting a few hours in a 6 or 7 before jumping into the 3. I don't find the 3 harder to land than any other tail dragger, just a little different. Wheel landings are definitely easier than 3 pointers IMHO. I'm based out of kccr and wouldn't mind flying down to Palo Alto if you want to talk or check out my 3.

Thanks Rob...

Thanks Rob for the offer. I will be getting the plane in a couple weeks. It needs a few repairs and it will be mine...after I pay for it, that is. I would definitely like to see your plane. We should try to meet up next month once I am flying.
I am based at Palo Alto, its not far to come to Buchannan for me either. Send a message if you want to catch up later. I will try to post a picture after I solo her.
[email protected]

Best
Dave

Thanks Rob for the offer. I will be getting the plane in a couple weeks. It needs a few repairs and it will be mine...after I pay for it, that is. I would definitely like to see your plane. We should try to meet up next month once I am flying.
I am based at Palo Alto, its not far to come to Buchannan for me either. Send a message if you want to catch up later. I will try to post a picture after I solo her.
[email protected]

Best
Dave

Costello Insurance only wanted a cockpit check-out by a CFI when I bought my RV-3. At the time I had about 500hrs tailwheel and had been insured by them for a few years with other airplanes, but no RV time. The -3 is easy to land and you should have no problem. Carry a little more speed and wheel it on until you get used to it, three point seems to need a little power in the flair and is a bit harder to get just right. Have fun, they fly good.

Last edited:
Aloha Dave,
I've got a -3 and -7 up in O88 Rio Vista if you want a side by side check out..shoot me a PM for more info
Lee

... Ease the power in on the first few takeoff rolls. Otherwise be quick on the rudder as the tail comes up - things happen quickly at full power.

... Try a few practice stalls. My wing "unhooks" without much airframe buffet. Recovery is quick and conventional.

... Use full flaps for landing to lower the nose for a better sight picture.

... The sink rate can get pretty high at slow (but safe) approach speeds. Use somewhat more than the old standard of 1.3xVSO and carry a bit of power. Tight pattern, 1000ft AGL, 80mph IAS, 1200rpm, full flaps opposite the numbers, power off on short final works for me with my FP prop (VSO = 53mph IAS).

... Start with tail-low wheel landings. Three-pointers are a challenge because of the relatively short gear.

... Full power after a bounce will have you flying again immediately for another try.

... I found the -3 noticeably lighter on the controls and more nimble than the -6 that I used for RV checkout.

... Somewhere in the old RVators Vans has an article about landings.

Joe Lofton
Old-school RV-3 (1982)

...My insurance carrier is asking for a sign off with a CFI in an RV-4 which I am trying to put together.

My insurance agent said the same thing but when I found an RV-8 CFI here in OK City they said that would be fine. They required 2 hrs., so I knocked out a BFR at the same time.

I just started flying my "3" and have found it just like all the other RV's I've flown and very controllable...albeit I haven't gone out and flown it yet with a 15 mph cross-wind, etc!

Blue Skies...

Doug
RV-3A now flying post 19 month restoration!

CG and grass

I suspect given that you are approaching this as a student and you've already got considerable tw background, landings will be a non-event. There are two things I could add to the already good input you've received. Grass is a forgiving place to get familiar with a rv-3. Second, in my experience a rearward CG made smooth 3 points much harder. It seemed easy to touch tw first, then get a bounce of the main gear. When i got the CG forward a bit, they got easier. I don't know where your CG will be, but I'd suggest trying to not be in that last allowable 1/2 inch.

Have fun!

But this community is deep in knowledge and I thought I would reach out for some tips, guidance, gospel and "whatever you do, don't....", ...that kinda stuff.

There's really none of that...unique to the RV-3 at least. It'll likely be a non-event for you first time out. Just lighter and a little more responsive on the ground than the Citabria/Decathlon you're used to. All RV are very straightforward and fairly forgiving and easy tailwheel airplanes.

Everyone has different preferences for technique - wheelie, 3-pointer, tail low wheelie, power on, power off, power in the flare, full flap, partial flap, etc. but the truth is that RV-3 has no qualities that truly beg for one technique vs. another. Fly it like a regular old airplane, which is what it is. Mine 3-pointed just fine with full flaps and no power....no different from most of the other tailwheel airplanes I've flown.

If you can fly the Decathlon then you will have no trouble with the RV-3. Landing & approach speeds are very similar. Also, I three point mine in all the time. I have done one good wheel landing in mine & prefer to 3 point it. For some reason I found the wheel landings easier in the Decathlon than the RV-3. Also, I always use full flaps at landing. I would watch the sink rate if you let speed get a little slow the plane sinks fast. If I can fly it anyone can:D

Back