What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TK's RV-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, Tony, you're coming along nicely. I think back to how intently you were interested in our conversations a couple (few?) years ago at OSH. You were a little skittish about your "new" airplane, but now you're turning yourself into an old pro just like everybody else. It is just a process, and there is just no way you can't get there if you just walk the path :).

Build On!
Scoot.

Scott, look at those measurements and tell me what you think...any tips?

Uh, yeah, Drill the holes! (very carefully, slowly, and keep checking the measurements as you go.) It isn't a rocket ship. 1/16" off at any arm isn't going to make a hill of beans worth of difference.

I finally got the nerve to start drilling. I started with the heavy duty drill but that proved to be a bit uncontrollable so I switched over to the cordless. Much lighter, easier to control the speed. Of course that drill could only scratch the steel weldments but it was perfect to get the holes started through the aluminum before bringing in the heavy artillery.
_DSC0957.JPG

_DSC0960.JPG

Extremely messy process. Black grease (soiled Boelube) flung everywhere along with metals shavings. Had to wear shoes for this job. :D

_DSC0958.JPG

The first 8 holes are drilled. The most important holes.
_DSC0961.JPG

Then I drilled the remaining 8 holes. This job was difficult for me. Perhaps the hardest task so far. Maybe its because I was just so worried about screwing it up. :rolleyes:

Then I spent a good hour or two cleaning up the mess and disassembling the gear carefully marking each plate and bracket. The center tape line that took a couple hours to lay down was gone in seconds. Finally, a quick debur and that job is behind me.
_DSC0963.JPG

_DSC0964.JPG

Good progress Tony. If I were building an -8, that task would have made me nervous too ... and for the same reasons. Glad it's behind you !

Next job was the forward bottom skins. I needed riveting help and solicited the Russian for help with rivets along the center section. They came out perfect! After he was gone I needed additional riveting help and bartered with the wife for her assistance. We did the forward crossmember. I was impressed they she did such a good job with the bucking bar.
_DSC0964%2520%25282%2529.JPG

_DSC0965.JPG

The forward cooling ramp calls for some sealant. Here is the bead of fire sealant.
_DSC0966.JPG

_DSC0967%2520%25282%2529.JPG

A ton of VERY tightly spaced screws and more rivets along the lower longeron.
_DSC0968.JPG

The rivet call out for the cooling ramp to firewall was WRONG! I set the rivets and the shop head came out FLUSH. As is no head at all. My riveting partner was telling me they looked ok so I continued on only to find out they would all need to be drilled out.

_DSC0969.JPG

With the cooling ramp installed, more sealant needs to be added.
_DSC0972.JPG

_DSC0973.JPG

And the bottom forward skins are complete!
_DSC0974.JPG

The plans have you build the seat backs next. I don't think I will even use the front seatback as the Classic Aero seats have structure built in but I built it anyway.
_DSC0977.JPG

Piano hinges give me fits but I am learning to work with it.

_DSC0975.JPG

Everything looks good here but I will later find out I had the "locating" hole upside down and that led to an offset hinge.
_DSC0976.JPG

Onto the rear seatback. These are pretty cool.
_DSC0979.JPG

The rear seat hinge came out much better.
_DSC0978.JPG

After match drilling and a lot of deburring, priming was in order.
_DSC0981.JPG

After a few weeks of building, the shop was completely trashed. I HA to take a couple hours to clean it up.
_DSC0983.JPG

Clean and organized shop complete with new workbench carpet!
_DSC0984.JPG

_DSC0985.JPG

Seatback riveting begins.
_DSC0987.JPG

I did notice a small crack in the upper rear seatback assembly. I stop drilled it and I am thinking of what should be done if anything.
_DSC0988.JPG

_DSC0989.JPG

Seatbacks are done and look great. It's inspiring.
_DSC0991.JPG

Started fabricating the floors and realized I had made mistakes when I installed the floor ribs.
_DSC0003%2520%25282%2529.JPG

These tabs are oriented backwards! The are there to accept a plate nut but they certainly can't do that the way they are aligned right here.
_DSC0004.JPG

Here is all the floors and aft baggage area clecoed in place.
_DSC0005.JPG

Drilling the flap weldment blocks. I had read about these on several build logs. Seems much worse than it actually is.
_DSC0006.JPG

_DSC0008.JPG

Then you shave the corners. (Be careful which corners right vs left, forward vs aft, inboard vs outboard)
_DSC0009.JPG

_DSC0010.JPG

Here are the blocks and weldment in place. Match drilling these into the floors proved a bit tricky.
_DSC0011.JPG

there is not a lot of room to get a drill in here and I was worried I would overdrill the blocks while match drilling the floors so I used a scratch awe and punch a center mark to use for drilling.
_DSC0012.JPG

_DSC0013.JPG

Worked out great.
_DSC0014.JPG

And here are those 2 tabs drilled out and correctly oriented and riveted.
_DSC0015.JPG

Installing plate nuts for the flap blocks was also problematic. I had to use the tight fitting drill attachment to countersink for flush rivets.
_DSC0017.JPG

Clecoed and matchdrilled the passenger footwells.
_DSC0018.JPG

Much deburring, drilling, dimpling has to occur even on something as small the floors. Eventually you get to the primer stage.
test.png

My build partner looks on and wonders when it'll be time for dinner.
_DSC0019.JPG

Backriveting the stiffeners is a piece of cake.
_DSC0022.JPG

You cannot back rivet the seatback hinge so you have to come up with something. I just clamped the floor to my workbench using the back riveting plate and riveted normally. Worked out quite nicely.
_DSC0020.JPG

_DSC0021.JPG

_DSC0023.JPG

The footwells were a little tougher but nothing you can't handle.
_DSC0024.JPG

Completed the forward floor.
_DSC0025.JPG

Had to install the floors to check them out. Pretty cool.
_DSC0026.JPG

May as well throw the seatbacks in for effect.
_DSC0027.JPG

_DSC0029.JPG

_DSC0030.JPG

They looked so good I had to jump in and snap a self pic!! :D:D:D No airplane noises yet though!
_DSC0031.JPG

_DSC0032%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Tony,

I'm thinking there may be some airplane noises from it next summer.
You're making some major progress there. Nice job !

Suggestion

It looks great Tony. I just installed a26 gauge stainless steel exhaust ramp over the stock aluminum ramp on my RV8 al la Dan H. I came to believe this is a worthwhile safety improvement in case of an engine fire. It would be easier for you to do the same at this stage of construction as opposed to after it is painted and flying. Just a suggestion for your consideration. It helps to dampen the exhaust vibration felt in your feet as an added bonus.

Last edited:
Progress!

Looking good! You will be done in time to fly in and pick up your trophy for the 8 @ the 2014 SkyManor flying. Possible 2 time winner. :D

Awesome Progress Tony!

Your work looks great - next time don't let your riveting partner drink beforehand:) Keep up the progress.

I would like to say my work is above average but in reality it is probably just that, average. I have seen some BAD work and they seem to fly just fine. I have also seen some skilled craftsman, like Dan H, forge the way for us to follow. I think I fall squarely in the middle which is OK with me. The key to a good build is recovery. Recovering from those inevitable mistakes we all make.

As for the suggestions, I WELCOME them. I may not decide to use them but I sure like to contemplate what could be done to improve my build.

I've heard about the cooling ramp cracks, I think Van's has too. I am not 100% positive but I think the ramp is designed slightly different now than the earlier kits. Not saying it isn't still prone to cracking but I gooped it up with sealant pretty good in an attempt to reduce/absorb vibration. Many RVs are flying without additional fire protection. There is risk there. I think I have decided to also assume that risk although an engine fire certainly scares me quite a bit.

I have thought about adding a stainless steel "floor mat" under the rudder pedals. That might provide a bit of fire protection as well as some dampening affect. Haven't really crossed that bridge yet although I'm using the ground adjustable rudder pedals and am wondering why the plans don't mention riveting them in before riveting/closing up the bottom forward skins. :confused:

My next major decision is battery location. I am thinking dual LiFePo batteries in the forward baggage well. (They are so light it won't really effect CG and will allow a much shorter wire run.). I think I want to make a battery door hatch in the rear baggage area even if I don't mount the battery back there. Decisions, decisions.

Due to recent tragic event TK RV-8 shop was relocated. Workbenches, all tooling and some small parts were moved to a different location in New Jersey several miles from Solberg Airport N51. Amy wants to finish his RV and she expressed a strong desire to learn to fly.

Below is a quick visual summary on a Sunday moving day. With dose of humor as usual. Here is the Chief Counselor coming to help.

He is very smart at riveting but total dummy on navigation. Is this right airport?

No, maybe this? Why did they paint letter H in the middle of it? If closed there should be an X. Definitely not this one...

Got there finally. This truck is enough to move a well tooled shop.

These two are the drivers. First (bigger one) is Tim, Tony's brother and the second you know who.

Amy enlisted a lot of help. These gentlemen are not your regular movers. They charge $500 per hour, a big bill is coming your way Amy. :)

How many lawyers we need to disassemble a shelf? At least five...

Nobody touch this baby. It will stay here for now.

Everything packed and secured.

Ready to roll buddy?

The truck came to final location faster then I did in my RV. I tend to fly slower. Plus I had a rider who never been up in small planes and he really enjoyed the ride. Thank you Mike for trust and help. Here is the new shop. Everybody happy.

By Xmas we need to move this. Any experienced movers here ready to help? :)

Good job Vlad

As we told you yesterday, let us know and we'll help you move and even drive some rivets. You are a good man for you efforts. And this is a great tribute to our friend.

Vlad, it sounds like your close to me and our airport. Please let me know if you need help, parts or anything you may need.

Vlad is amazing!!!!

Well, I am reading up and trying to get my feet wet with this amazing hobby so to say. It amazes me to go back and read these posts and look at the pictures. I remember getting yelled at by Tony for sending text messages nonstop while he was working on it. His first reply would always be SHUT UP I WAS PUSHING TIN!!! It always put a hug smile on my face knowing he was doing something he had always dreamed of doing and he was doing it. Every time I would pay him a visit he would drag me right to the garage to show me his progress and these pictures are all just so familiar and it seems like yesterday.

Yesterday was a hard day but I felt so good to make such huge steps with getting reorganized in the new plane factory. Today was also a hard day being that my hero, best friend, and big brother was a Vet and I thought about him a lot today as I do everyday. He is watching over us and making sure the Russian is going to do things the way Tony wanted them done.

Vlad, I can't thank you enough for all of your support and help you are giving Amy. She is so hard driven just like Tony and that's why they were perfect for each other. I look forward to working with you both and pushing tin.

Tim

Well, I am reading up and trying to get my feet wet with this amazing hobby

Welcome aboard, Tim! What a wonderful tribute to your brother that you'll be taking on his dream and making it a reality. The journey is long and hard for all of us, but you'll have a special incentive to carry on through the difficult times. Remember, one of the great joys of this journey is that you start out to build an airplane, but you end up building a better person. You have big shoes to fill, but I'm sure you know that better than any of us. You've found a great community, and I hope to raise a glass with you one day.

--
Stephen

Welcome "TimK-ATC"!

Glad to see you on the site!

Tony is really missed here!

I look forward to the progress on TK's 8.

He sure was doing a excellent job building.

My best to Amy.

Howdy Tim!

Today was also a hard day being that my hero, best friend, and big brother was a Vet and I thought about him a lot today as I do everyday........Tim

Hey Tim.......welcome!!! You are a good man.....what a labor of love for your big brother......i hope one of my 5 brothers would do likewise for me:)

YOL BOLSON TIM!

Thank you to my fellow pilots

Thanks for the warm welcome my new friends. I appreciate it and I will have a ton of questions along the way.

Tim,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

It is a fine thing you are doing in Tony's memory.

Very good to have you aboard:D

Tim,

Looking forward to meeting you!

Vlad, bring Tim up to Rangeley this winter!

We need to break him in right!

:D. CJ

Tim

Hey Tim
Nice to see what is happening here. Very nice. All the best. Look forward to seeing the build move forward.

Hi Tim,

Best of luck to you, Amy and Vlad. There will be many of us who will watching your progress with great interest. Please ask if there's anything we can do to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back