What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

60 deg xwind 10G20 - well that was 'sporty'

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
Tested myself on a x-wind take off and landing today.

I hadn't really practiced/experienced much in the way of xwinds in my hours with the RV12. I've been in strong enough winds, but have been lucky enough to have it mostly down the runway at my destination.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try considering when I first got the ASOS it was 250 5G10. Not too bad. Just 40 degrees off runway.

Well, let me tell ya. By the time I came around to land, things changed fast. 230 10G20. I managed to stay on runway center just fine thanks to the 12's huge rudder. But it seemed like each time I was about to touch, a gust would pop me back up. The AOA beeper got a workout! Good news is I was actually able to touch down gently.

The 12 really is a capable plane. Wish it had maybe a bit more speed/range (classic 12 here), but I can help but just love the little thing!

Light Sport, by design, limits you, maximum, at Sea Level, to 120kts.

Conservatively, Van's version makes 120 kts easily. ;)

I'm aware :) Maybe more fuel (aka range) is a better way to state my desire... But that's all a side note. My thread was more about how well the airplane handled pretty gusty conditions (for me) at a 60 degrees xwind. It's a very capable airplane and does exactly what it promises. No real complaints

Add half the steady wing velocity and all the gust to your final approach speed and it will help considerably. In your case 10G20 add 10+5=15 knots.

Add half the steady wing velocity and all the gust to your final approach speed and it will help considerably. In your case 10G20 add 10+5=15 knots.

Good advice. I did got 1/2 flaps and a bit faster. But probably not fast enough. Thanks!

x-winds

I'd probably back burner the smooth touchdown part in those winds. A positive touchdown on the centerline in full control might be a worthy goal. Confidence goes a long way as well.
Practice, practice, practice... :cool:

Good advice. I did got 1/2 flaps and a bit faster. But probably not fast enough. Thanks!

I don't think I would advise this.

If landing directly into the a steady 15 Kt wind do we add 15 kts to our normal approach speed? No

Adding additional speed for gust margin is normal, but I wouldn't add additional for the stead state wind speed.
Doing so will just cause a long float just above the runway which in gusty conditons makes you very vulnerable for an excessive amount of time.

The goal should be to get down and on the ground under control, while spending the least amount of time very close to the ground as possible.

Limits RV4 Crosswind

In my RV 4 a few years back I was able to land with a 25kts+ at 45 to 60 degs off the runway. But it took full right rudder and I mean full, to keep it lined up.

Then once the tail come down it immediately weather cocked 45 degs into the wind and the rodeo was on. Even trying to get some brake into it I was off into the grass. Luckily I missed the lights and no damage, just my pride. I honestly thought I was going to drag a wing tip or flip it when I hit the dirt. The skids marks were there for a long time. Girl friend didn't worry until I let go with the f bomb while heading to the fence. Then she knew that something more serious was happening.

I parked the plane and gave some serious thought on what had just happened. Picked up the tail and checked the tail wheel and the locking. To find that with full rudder it will come unlocked so when the tail came down it was unlocked and in swivel mode.

At the limits like this there is no way to kick it straight to lock it before landing. The rudder on the 4 is smaller so less effective at lower speeds especially once the tail is down.

I agree, the extra speed is hard to dissipate with a lot of float. I tried that on the 1st approach and had to go around.

The RV4 was very controlable while coming in with all of the gusts etc. I remember 45 yrs ago in my training that the instructor saying if you can keep it lined up you should be good to land. Not with this plane, you can keep it lined up but once that tail comes down and if its un locked you could be in for a ride.

My new limit is now 15 kts direct cross wind component.

Tim

The half the steady and all the gust rule is for transport category aircraft with approach speeds in the 120 to 145 knot range. At RV speeds it’s going to result in massive amounts of float.

I’d estimate I came in around 60knots and 1/2 flaps. I didn’t float much at all. Honestly, I was never too worried as I never felt like I was running out of controls. Like I mentioned, I was still able to centerline it and it settled nicely. Maybe I was lucky and wind settled a bit right as I was touching down. I don’t know.

Either way it was fun and a good learning experience of my abilities and the airplane’s.

In "sporty conditions" the quicker I can get the wheels on the ground in a controlled way and the flaps up, the better. If it's gusty, I don't really want to be floating a few feet above the ground and worry when the next gust is coming.. I just go around if things don't look good.. I went around twice at Hot Springs, AR. a few weeks ago while coming home from Ohio when the wind was blowing pretty good.. The RV12 reminds me a lot of the flying I did in an ultralight many years ago..

Last edited:
Come fly in Oklahoma during the spring with the majority of the runways running north/south and the winds 270 20G30+. It’s always fun! Cough, cough!

I definitely agree with rvbuilder2002. Only add 1/2 the gust factor to your approach speed and use half flaps if the winds are really bad, otherwise normal configuration. You want to get the wheels on the ground and slowing down as quickly as possible.

To each his own. I learned the half wind plus all gust rule in type training at Continental. It’s always worked for me. Yes I do the same into a headwind. That way I have the same ground speed as a zero wind landing at normal approach speed and the same sink rate for a three degree final. Yes it increases landing distance, but unless it’s a short runway who cares.

I have never liked full stall landings and always fly it to the ground touching down with a 6 or 7 knot margin above stall just in case a puff of wind hits me at the last minute. If your technique works for you great. I’ll stick to mine.

Crosswind landings........

I'd probably back burner the smooth touchdown part in those winds. A positive touchdown on the centerline in full control might be a worthy goal. Confidence goes a long way as well.
Practice, practice, practice... :cool:

In a really strong crosswind with no where else to go, I have landed OFF center line, angling from the downwind "corner" to the up wind "corner" of the runway between the runway lights. Can take 10-15 degrees off of the crosswind angle if the runway is wide enough but you have to be familiar enough with your airplane to know about where you are going to stop....and aiming, again, between the runway lights just in case. I have landed on a taxiway that was perpendicular to the runway more than once as well. Landed the Cub in Casper, WY, one Winter with the logging chain they use as a windsock :D sticking straight out and actually landed on the ramp! Didn't roll 5 feet. "Take off" was straight up!!

Back