What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deutsch pin crimp question ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
The mfg linked video for assembly instruction. It said use 1/4” bare wire in the contact pin. My stamped pins are 18-22 AWG. My concern is the 22wire is loose without crimp. I dont have a Deutch crimper, just afm. It will not back off from a partial compression, thus it will crush too small for the larger pin . The distorted pin might function in the plastic housing, but I have not risked killing a pin. The assemblies pass continuity, but not comfortable with condition.

Advice appreciated.

The mfg linked video for assembly instruction. It said use 1/4” bare wire in the contact pin. My stamped pins are 18-22 AWG. My concern is the 22wire is loose without crimp. I dont have a Deutch crimper, just afm. It will not back off from a partial compression, thus it will crush too small for the larger pin . The distorted pin might function in the plastic housing, but I have not risked killing a pin. The assemblies pass continuity, but not comfortable with condition.

Advice appreciated.

The Deutch crimper is a Daniels too, but the larger version and has the same crimping anvils as I remember. I made some positioners for my afm8 and used solder as crimping blanks since (as you mention) it won't back off. You might try that and slice with a razor to measure crimp compression gaps.

Even with sub pins, I often cheated and doubled the end of the wire to avoid overcrimping the barrels. I dont know what the barrel od is for the deutsch pins but you might compare to the d-subs to understand the physical differences and possible solution.

Back