What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN G5 UPGRADE

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Finally got my Garmin G5 units installed and calibrated today ? yeah! Took longer than I thought but not because of the Garmin design, just the usual retrofit/upgrade surprises you get when you need to mount new equipment and move or reroute wiring in a finished airframe.

Original Panel

With two G5 units I decided to use one as Primary Flight Display (PFD) and one as a Horizontal Situation Indictor (HSI). Mine is a standalone setup using only a GMU 11 magnetometer (no G3X system). The magnetometer is mounted in the tail, which for an RV-8 is ideal.

GMU 11 mounted on fuselage centerline, pointing forward

The G5 units mount in the holes previously occupied by my RC Allen AH and DG. I could use the same panel holes and mounting holes for the supplied G5 installation. Pretty clever how Garmin does this. Use the old mounting holes to mount a horseshoe shaped G5 mounting ring. Then insert G5 instrument and hold with an Allen screw like most radio rack mounts use.

Garmin mounts using original instrument holes

G5 Units in place

The calibration went pretty smoothly except for the Magnetometer. (Note: You do have to do the Pitch/Roll calibration separately for each G5 unit if it is a standalone installation. After that, calibrating one unit pretty much takes care of the second unit.) I placed the aircraft at the run-up area at my home field (52F), which is about the only place with enough room to do this. Pointed the aircraft to magnetic north, started the test and waited 20 minutes for something to happen. The G5 should tell you to turn right at some point but after 20 minutes -- nothing. So with all my resident ?experts? away at Airventure, I decided to punt and go fly. I needed fuel so I headed to KXBP Bridgeport and after fueling saw there was no one around and a nice big ramp, so I tried the magnetometer calibration again. This time, after seven minutes, the display said, ?Turn right slowly?. Eureka it was working. Once that first seven-minute test was done the remaining turns (every 30 degrees until you?re back facing North) went pretty quickly.

These are pretty cool little units. I need to figure all that they are telling me, but I?m looking forward to that over the next few weeks.

Seeing these little guys in action made the pain of crawling around the confined spaces of the fuselage worthwhile.

Happy flying,

Chris

Time to hook up the Aera 660 to the G5 for full HSI, VNAV and CDI on PFD.

Last edited:
I am about to install one G5 in my RV4, I wondered if people had found in necessary to mount an external GPS antenna for it.

Thanks!

same here, neither my -6 nor my ex -4 have an external antenna. The only times when GPS is lost is when flying aeros... though the signal is quickly recovered.

Thanks everyone! Just what I needed to know.

I will start out without one if it becomes an issue I can add on.

I have a wet vacuum pump, driving an ADI and a DG, with the G5 I can throw away the rate of turn indicator. I have flown it for "fun" partial panel with the rate of turn indicator (ADI covered)...not easy...

Prior to the G5 upgrade a vacuum pump failure would have been a fairly serious event, which is why way back when I invested in the wet pump.

In any case I can fly IFR either off of the "steam" gauges or off of the G5

Very much looking forward to the G5!

HighAltRV4:

If you do find you need an antenna there is a very inexpensive and low profile Garmin unit (GA27C) that I installed for my G5. Costs about $100.

Chris

Got it all installed! And checked for IFR flight.

Works great, it has no trouble with GPS unless I am over around 40 degrees AOB.

Thanks for all the advice!

Just did a very similar upgrade on my rocket. Dual g5’s, gtr200, gtx335, gdl50r, and garmin aera 760. And of course led lighting. You will love them.

Attachments

• 9AD8C43A-A8B7-4F97-A2F8-E9EA2F0F7D7E.jpg
    9AD8C43A-A8B7-4F97-A2F8-E9EA2F0F7D7E.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 109
GPS aiding is not 'required' but improves operation, for less than $80 you can add an external antenna which helps greatly with GPS reception.

one of the best upgrades. the super six pack.
IMG-3170.jpg

Back