What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Tire Recommendation and KMSN Shoutout!

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Yesterday had a flat in KMSN. Landing was normal and tire deflated during taxi. Small hole in tube...I can guarantee that it was low tire pressure as it hadn't been checked in a month, bad on my part.

Quick shoutout to Wisconsin Aviation in KMSN for being quick with a dolly and a corner in a heated hanger with a jack on Christmas Day...only took a couple hours to fix.

I was able to change the tube but there was some sidewall scuffing from the fairing and I want to change out the tire also. Any recommendations on tires from ACS as I have a bunch of other stuff to get from there.

Thanks!

+1 for Goodyear Flight Special

I’ve used both FS II and FS III and like both, but getting good tubes is just as important.

I choked on the price of the Michelin Airstop tubes the last time I did my tires. They were almost as much as the tires.:eek: But I bite the bullet and went with them anyway. The pain of the purchase price didn’t last too long.

So I was concerned with the sidewall scuffing but according to AC20-97B tire should be changed when the sidewall damage penetrates the outermost structural ply. This is not the condition in my situation, only light scuffing around 5 inches long on one side.

My concern would also be with damage after the airplane was moved with a flat tire. We only taxied 10-20 feet after we started noticing something weird. I looked over the tire before reinstalling and there's no visual evidence of structural damage.

Last edited:
Edwards Aircraft Service-KOVS

I fly a RV-4 and recently picked up a 6A, I’ve had great luck with the Condor tires and install several for customers, on just about any aircraft. I do several RV condition inspections every year! Stop in and visit sometime! We have my maintenance shop, great fuel prices, 3 courtesy cars and great local restaurants!

Tires and tube

The Michelin Airstop tubes are the best investment I've made in this plane. No loss of air, no problems in 8 years of use.
For the tires, I switched to Aeroclassic 380x150-5 tires (6-ply), Spruce part number 06-01249. You get an additional inch of width. Great durability, better on unimproved surfaces that 5x5s, simple matter of opening up the sides of the wheelpants opening.

Yesterday had a flat in KMSN. Landing was normal and tire deflated during taxi. Small hole in tube...I can guarantee that it was low tire pressure as it hadn't been checked in a month, bad on my part.

Quick shoutout to Wisconsin Aviation in KMSN for being quick with a dolly and a corner in a heated hanger with a jack on Christmas Day...only took a couple hours to fix.

I was able to change the tube but there was some sidewall scuffing from the fairing and I want to change out the tire also. Any recommendations on tires from ACS as I have a bunch of other stuff to get from there.

Thanks!
++ For Wisconsin Aviation. They are great at all their locations!

Back