What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero seat question

azflyer21

Well Known Member
For those who have installed the Classic Aero seats in a -14, do I still need to install the Van's seatback hinges (F-01447B) since the CA seats have an integrated seatback frame?

If your asking about the hinges on the seat pan, yes. Also, you may consider not installing the rear most hinge. The Aero Classic seat has a 45* bend at the bottom where the hinge attaches. Causing the second from the rear to give the same leg length as using the aft hinge on the Vans seatback. Using the last hinge with the Aero Classic will cause a nearly vertical seatback.

Last edited:
Also, Classic Aero uses a wide hinge (1 more loop of hinge on each end of each seat hinge) than Vans standard install. One can replace the seat pan hinge with a longer one, or opt to use as is (which I did) leaving an un-attached loop on the seat back.

So, that being said, should I build the seatbacks, or do most manufacturer's include their own?

Classic Aero builds a seatback into their seat. Other seat builders put their seatback cushion onto the Van?s seatback frame. I have Classic Aero seats, but built the Van?s seatbacks anyway to use with a back parachute.

I use the aft seat hinge

I have Classic Aero seats in my -14 and use the aft-most hinge. I am tall at 6?6? and it is quite comfortable. I do not feel it is too upright of a seating position.

Back