What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming shipping box Q.

az_gila

Well Known Member
Quick question...

I'm shipping an O-320 in a used Lycoming shipping crate.

Since the engine is heavy, and is going to be man-handled into the box, I want to get it's placement correct first time... :)

Does Lycoming strap in their engines "sump up" or "sump down" for shipping?

...thanks ....gil in Tucson

Lycoming typically supports the engine from the crankshaft dowels at the flange, and uses flat stock bent and mounted to the lower engine mounts. But to answer your question, sump down. Not, IMHO the best way to ship an engine. Go to Ace Airparts (ace hardware, home depot, etc) and get some closed cell foam about 4 inches thick to rest the engine on. While you're there, pick up a couple of cheap rachet straps to strap the engine down, making sure that you cause no damage where the straps pull down on the engine. An old tire will work in place of the foam if in a bind.

Allen Barrett
BPE, Inc

Thanks..

Allen Barrett said:
Lycoming typically supports the engine from the crankshaft dowels at the flange, and uses flat stock bent and mounted to the lower engine mounts. But to answer your question, sump down. Not, IMHO the best way to ship an engine. Go to Ace Airparts (ace hardware, home depot, etc) and get some closed cell foam about 4 inches thick to rest the engine on. While you're there, pick up a couple of cheap rachet straps to strap the engine down, making sure that you cause no damage where the straps pull down on the engine. An old tire will work in place of the foam if in a bind.

Allen Barrett
BPE, Inc

Thanks Allen ... my shipping crate came with the crankshaft dowel plate, but doesn't have the motor mount straps.... I'll get some sheet and make them up while I'm buying the rachet straps at the aviation division of my local Homne Depot.... :)

I presume they ship them with the flywheel attached?

thanks again.... gil A

Generally, yes. Or, there is plenty of room in the crate for a box to hold the ring gear, etc. Drain the oil first because if the freight company detects hazardous goods, you're going to get a very big christmas present in the mail!

Allen

engine crate

I just took mine out of the crate. There were three metal braces that Mattituck had fabricated to support the engine. Unfortunately, I threw them away with the crate. Perhaps checking around at some local FBO's, or other airport facilities would turn up a crate waiting for trip to the dump. good luck Bruce

My new Lycoming 0-360 came on a pallet with foam blocks supporting the sump. The foam was molded to fit the shape of the sump. The carb was removed and the opening covered. There was a metal support that was bolted the the pallet and to the crank. I believe the flywheel was also bolted in with the crank and support. Binding held the motor to the pallet, as well. All the accessories were secured in boxes secured to the pallet and a heavy cardboard box covered the whole thing. This was Factory New Lycoming shipping circa 2003

Roberta

My new Lycoming 0-360 came on a pallet with foam blocks supporting the sump. The foam was molded to fit the shape of the sump. The carb was removed and the opening covered. There was a metal support that was bolted the the pallet and to the crank. I believe the flywheel was also bolted in with the crank and support. Binding held the motor to the pallet, as well. All the accessories were secured in boxes secured to the pallet and a heavy cardboard box covered the whole thing. This was Factory New Lycoming shipping circa 2003

Roberta

I?m going to be making a crate to ship a Lycoming O-360 in the next month. If anyone has a picture of an engine in the crate, that would be terrific. A picture is worth many words in this situation.

Thanks!

Expanding foam

Wrap it in a contractor garbage bag, suck the air out with a vacuum and spray expanding foam around the base and it will expand and take the form of the engine

Wrap it in a contractor garbage bag, suck the air out with a vacuum and spray expanding foam around the base and it will expand and take the form of the engine

This is exactly how my M1B came last year from Lycoming. No bolts anywhere

Back